.22 Pistol Kill- I have to brag

I have been hunting small game (squirrel, rabbit, nutria, etc...) with a pistol for a few years. Small game hunting is a great way to keep your skills up between deer trips. After a while, I lost interest in small game because there was no real challenge in it. Thats when I started going squirrel hunting with a .22 pistol and 2 mags that hold 10 rounds each, and thats it. Talk about a chalange, I came back many days with one rabbit or no squirrels. I have enjoyed the chalange of pistol hunting so much that I totally decked out my ruger. It has a 2.25lb trigger job,the body is polished, custom handles, the bushings have been replaced with the older MKII bushings, the trigger/sear engagement is so polished its reflective, and its topped off with the BEST scope I could find, a Leupold VXIII 2-7 pistol scope!!!
I digress... I was at a friends farm today and he was telling me about a squirrel that chewed its way through the roof of one of his store houses and no matter how many times he has tried to catch it with rat traps he just hasn't had any luck. He even had his son's .22 rifle sitting by the porch in case he saw the squirrel coming out of the roof. He told me that it was 50yards to the store house from the porch and even though he has taken a few shots, he has missed the squirrel every time. Now its chewing the electrical wires and he has already lost the lights to the store house and said hes afraid it may start a fire. After dinner we saw the squirrel coming out of the roof and he grabbed the .22 rifle. I had my pistol with me because we usually do some target shooting when I come over. He bet me $50 that I couldn't take the squirrel with my pistol. I shoot 50 yard bench rest and set up my rest on his picnic table just outside the door. About 5 minutes later the squirrel came back. Relax.....squeeze.....BANG!!!!! Right through the ear!!! one shot at 50yards!!!
002.jpg

In the end, I made my longest pistol kill ever and he even gave me the $50
P.S. for anyone that cares. Although it was not during hunting season, the state allows the destruction of any rodent species that are damaging property.

Ahh...one more reason for the gun-fearing sheeple to hate those of us who are actually RESPONSIBLE with our weapons. top nothc:rolleyes:

Thanks Brian. I recently shot at 50 yards so the scope was already zeroed at the right distance with the CCI 36gr HP's. Everything seemed to "line up" just right.

I think I might need to switch to solids for that. I have recovered these CCI hollows from nutria that have expanded to .38-.39!!! That would make for one hell of a piercing.

The name "squirrel" should be changed to a more fitting moniker. I think "tree rat" works. :thumbup:

That's a good shot, way to go!

Course, you shoulda got him with that fancy rig! Here's what I shoot squirrels with -
100_1027.jpg

I got five of them a few weeks ago that were destroying my mother's bird feeders. But those shots were all under 20 yards. :jerkit:

50 yards would be good with a rifle. It's just outstanding with a pistol.

Andy

Skinned it with my BRKT micro cannadian. He put the meat in his freezer and I kept the tail for tying flies.

I came in from hunting one day with some pheasants. My sister in law was there and she said " I see you were out killing gods creatures again " She said that right after finishing a roast beef dinner.:D Guess God didn't make cows:confused:

Good shot!!!

I assume you were being facetious?

Andy

For once, no I wasn't. This was simply a shot to test 'skill.' It had nothing to do with the practice of gathering food, which is what hunting is all about. As an avid hunter, this kind of stuff riles me up a bit because it simply portrays us as ignorant a$$es who just shoot to shoot. He plainly said it was done on a bet...That's just my .02

dougo83- I am also an avid hunter, as you can see from my first post. I don't see the difference between me taking the squirrel with my pistol and letting him miss it again with his rifle. In this case, the squirrel was a "pest" and was damaging property. I also said that it he kept the meat and I took the tail for tying flies. How much more should we have used the animal? The only way to disrespect an animal is to waste it and it was not wasted.

As far as I'm concerned squirrels have no rights in this situation. Neither do rabbits, chipmunks or woodchucks. They have the right to twitch a couple times after being shot but that's about it. If they are in my yard or garden they have to play by my rules.

dougo83- I am also an avid hunter, as you can see from my first post. I don't see the difference between me taking the squirrel with my pistol and letting him miss it again with his rifle. In this case, the squirrel was a "pest" and was damaging property. I also said that it he kept the meat and I took the tail for tying flies. How much more should we have used the animal? The only way to disrespect an animal is to waste it and it was not wasted.

I actually was referring to your OP. No mention of doing anything other than betting $50 that you could pop a tree rat.

My hunting pistol is a Ruger 22/45, 6 7/8" Slabside BBL with a True Glo 2X red dot scope. It shoots like a laser! its taken many squirrels up in the CO rockies.

31230Ruger_MKII_678W_reddot.JPG

-- Eric