4.7 Mystery Steel Reveal Day - April 22!

Pacific North West. To answer your question, in GSOs in particular I have had 2 in 3v, both coated so I can't give you much more than the edge. It will darken if not coated with oil even left in the box.

Thanks JF. Did you have your 3Vs coated after the purchase, or was it cerakoted by S!K? I use coconut oil on my blades even though I am much drier environment than you (So. Cal) but still near the ocean. I prefer coconut oil to gun oil because it is food safe and haven't had darkening o rust spots on 1095, 30SV; those kinds of blades. That oil also serves me well in the field but have not been in a torrential rain where it has been p*ssing down on me for 3-4 days! I'd like to keep the GSO 5.1 3V which I have ordered over the GSO 5.1 20CV because of its steel's more legendary toughness over the less corrosion prone 20CV. However if I were where you live, I'd probably prioritize the latter over the former.

Thanks JF. Did you have your 3Vs coated after the purchase, or was it cerakoted by S!K? I use coconut oil on my blades even though I am much drier environment than you (So. Cal) but still near the ocean. I prefer coconut oil to gun oil because it is food safe and haven't had darkening o rust spots on 1095, 30SV; those kinds of blades. That oil also serves me well in the field but have not been in a torrential rain where it has been p*ssing down on me for 3-4 days! I'd like to keep the GSO 5.1 3V which I have ordered over the GSO 5.1 20CV because of its steel's more legendary toughness over the less corrosion prone 20CV. However if I were where you live, I'd probably prioritize the latter over the former.

My 3v GSOs were factory coated black DLC 5.1 and 3.5 which is no longer available. I sold the 5.1 and still have the 3.5. I've preordered a new 3.5 in 20cv. I also have a 3v GSO 6 preorder.

How long do you find the coconut oil lasts before it oxidizes?

Now that I read this, I'm going to wait to see what the mystery steel in the 4.7 is, as I have one on order as well. I went with a 3v GSO 6 because I thought the new peened finish doesn't make it more corrosion prone and I was planning on putting a patina on it if necessary. I was primarily sold on it over 20cv with the new HT protocol.

Depending on what the new steel is, I plan to see how the edge holds up and I might switch my 6 over to 20cv as well.

Not too much. There are still a few to go out. We wanted to slip them in with people's GSO-4.7 orders, but some of those orders are a bit further down the list so those will probably just go out on their own in the next day or two.

Send me one and I will give it a serious workout and do a daily report on bladeforums to see how it holds up over time !

My 3v GSOs were factory coated black DLC 5.1 and 3.5 which is no longer available. I sold the 5.1 and still have the 3.5. I've preordered a new 3.5 in 20cv. I also have a 3v GSO 6 preorder.

How long do you find the coconut oil lasts before it oxidizes?

Now that I read this, I'm going to wait to see what the mystery steel in the 4.7 is, as I have one on order as well. I went with a 3v GSO 6 because I thought the new peened finish doesn't make it more corrosion prone and I was planning on putting a patina on it if necessary. I was primarily sold on it over 20cv with the new HT protocol.

Depending on what the new steel is, I plan to see how the edge holds up and I might switch my 6 over to 20cv as well.

I put a fresh coat one a week when knives are sheathed and I very carefully work it with my fingers into the steel, while very cautious near the blade. I only use a dab or two and just work the same amount all over the blade and depending on how thick the layer seems, I may wipe anything deemed excessive. I use the solid form of coconut oil and never the liquid form. I've never had any rust spot issues but them again, I've never put them in the same environment and under the same conditions as where you are at.

Well, the knife is scheduled to ship at the end of May, about one month after the announcement. You could always cancel your order of you are disappointed in the steel I suspect.

I figure it could always go into a BOB or similar. Ahhhh might as well order one.

I have no interest in cancelling it after the reveal. The mystery is intriguing to me. I was just pondering other people's responses on the release date. Survive makes great stuff. This one will be great as well.

Thank you. I watched the video where Guy left an old spec 3v GSO 10 outside for a year and it basically had surface rust and a bit of spotting. With the salt content in the air here, I don't think that GSO would be the same after a year outside here. Tool steels get destroyed here even out of the weather stored in a shed or similar. They all need a solid amount of care.

I put a fresh coat one a week when knives are sheathed and I very carefully work it with my fingers into the steel, while very cautious near the blade. I only use a dab or two and just work the same amount all over the blade and depending on how thick the layer seems, I may wipe anything deemed excessive. I use the solid form of coconut oil and never the liquid form. I've never had any rust spot issues but them again, I've never put them in the same environment and under the same conditions as where you are at.
I work with plant and animal fat chemistry so I thought I'd chime in. Pure coconut oil melts at 85°F, so that solid oil just isn't warm enough to melt yet.
Coconut oil is a medium chain saturated fat and it is pretty resistant to going rancid. The best oil would be a partially hydrogenated trans-fat like they use in mass produced baked goods, that stuff is really resistant to going rancid. Once plant and animal fats go rancid they begin to release fatty acids that will start to corrode steel, so it would be best to remove them before that happens. Fun with chemistry! :)

I just use mineral oil. Available damn near everywhere, inexpensive, doesn't rot, and it's food safe. :thumbup:

The only minor gripe I have is that it wipes off fairly easily so you'd have to reapply often during heavy or repeated use. I make a point of drying my knives immediately afterward so this is a non-issue for me, but if I was concerned about corrosion I'd probably opt for something like ren wax.

I use Tsubaki (camellia) oil on all my axes and carbon steel knives. It's a food safe oil used on Japanese carbon steel cutlery. It's very light and one drop goes a long way. It prevents even minor staining on my O1 steel knives. O1 stains the easiest out of those in my collection.

I use Tsubaki (camellia) oil on all my axes and carbon steel knives. It's a food safe oil used on Japanese carbon steel cutlery. It's very light and one drop goes a long way. It prevents even minor staining on my O1 steel knives. O1 stains the easiest out of those in my collection.

I also use this for kitchen cutlery:

http://www.amazon.com/Yoshihiro-Japanese-Maintenance-Complimentary-Sabitori/dp/B00AZ6SYSY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s03

It's not cheap, but it is very good. The reason I prefer using coconut oil when in the field is that it is really multi purpose. I can take a small amount in a tightly lid tin can which that I can use it for a variety of tasks: cooking, dry skin care, lubrication (no dirty thoughts) maintenance; etc... The trick is to use very little and to massage it in and then to wipe it off not leaving too much residue because if left over say a few months, it will most probably react with the steel as the resident Alchemist had stated ;)

I'm just going to stick with slick 2000 gun lube in my non-coated 3v. None of them touch food etc and I know if I put it away for a season I won't have any trouble later. My smaller are all 20cv, s35vn or similar and coated otherwise.

Can't wait! It's 3:31AM here in California and I'm parked at the computer waiting to find out.......

Perhaps it was officially announced on Instagram or something, my order is awaiting fulfilment. I knew it was unobtainium after all!

Back