Recommendation? 440C vs D2 steel for a Ganzo knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get why Americans and a lot of Europeans dislike Ganzo but this being an international forum, what would you tell a Chinese person who was thinking of buying one?
First, how do you figure this is an international forum? Yes, this forum is open to all, but it is a US based and owned forum with most of its members being from the United States.

Next, if a Chinese person was looking at Ganzo, I'd advise them to make sure it was legal to buy in their locale, as I think locking knives are illegal! I'm going to guess that a stay in a Chinese prison is no holiday.

Ganzo isn't made for the local market. They specifically make copied knives to compete with their legit counterparts in the target markets where their legitimate competitors sell well and/or are popular. It is counterfeiting 101.

[I'm looking to buy my first folding knife, and I've decided to go for Ganzo.]
Mumble, mumble, mumble...

Last edited:
That one is available locally, but it's 70$ here, which is way our of my budget range. Import tax is a bitch here in Eastern Europe.
Can you explain specifically what the problems are you encounter to getting a knife in your country? I get the Tax part but there has got to be a better way than buying a ganzo. Perhaps S Smiling can give some advice. I would think that the same source you would be getting this ganzo from also sells some legitimate options beside boker magnum.

I do agree with the fixed blade suggestion though, if you are doing farm work that is.

Do you mean the Boker Magnum knives in 440A?

Yeah 440A steel it is.

I already talked with user Smiling and he gave me some valid suggestions. But since I'm not in EU online stores aren't really an option since they don't ship here or the shipping fee is high.

Local stores sell budget models at two times the cost than in the US.

Yeah 440A steel it is.

I already talked with user Smiling and he gave me some valid suggestions. But since I'm not in EU online stores aren't really an option since they don't ship here or the shipping fee is high.

Local stores sell budget models at two times the cost than in the US.
If you don't mind, what country? And how is it you can get a ganzo?

First, how do you figure this is an international forum? Yes, this forum is open to all, but it is a US based and owned forum with most of its members being from the United States.

Next, if a Chinese person was looking at Ganzo, I'd advise them to make sure it was legal to buy in their locale, as I think locking knives are illegal! I'm going to guess that a stay in a Chinese prison is no holiday.

Ganzo isn't made for the local market. They specifically make copied knives to compete with their legit counterparts in the target markets where their legitimate competitors sell well and/or are popular. It is counterfeiting 101.

The OP isn't from the U.S. and I'm sure there are a lot of members who aren't either. I haven't seen any nationality banned from using this forum but I could be wrong.

I didn't know locking knives were illegal in China, that's interesting.

I don't deny it's counterfeiting nor am I defending it, I'm simply saying that if a $20 knife is what you buy, something that functions as if it's worth $20 is what you shall receive, whether you live in the States or Europe or Asia.

The OP isn't from the U.S. and I'm sure there are a lot of members who aren't either. I haven't seen any nationality banned from using this forum but I could be wrong.
I'm not sure what your point is here. I, nor anyone else have said anything about banning of any nationality. People from all countries are welcome! The more the merrier! My point is, that saying this is an international forum is only true in the sense that all nationalities are welcome. This forum is US owned and based, with most of its membership being from the US. Do not get what I am saying wrong. We have some great international membership! Even the Canadians are welcome :D

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. It's a shame so many companies consort with China.
Don't quote me to make it seem like I was calling China, "thieves and scammers".

I was not. I was calling Ganzo, in particular, thieves and scammers. I own quite a few knives that were made in China by reputable companies.

There is a separate forum available to discuss stuff that isn't knife related.

Most negative opinions of Ganzo quality and performance given here are from those who have never owned or used one .

Not the best by any means , but really not all that bad for the price , IMO . Just to be fair and balanced . :confused:

Not at all my "go to" brand for best quality , but also not the absolute junk that many claim , either . o_O
not true Doc. I own a bunch when I was playing with cheap Chinese imports. they are low quality. their steel that says 440c isnt 440c, it isnt heat treated properly. that is a fact that cant be argued. the d2 versions i own are soft and done poorly. they lie about that l, what else will they lie about. I put the ones i own aside as a part of my collection from China. most arent safe for use. compared to the high quality stuff coming from China today they arent even close to quality.

If you can get Ganzo, you might see if Ruike knives are available. PROPERLY heat treated 14C28N. Still Chinese, still inexpensive, but no politics.

And, to be fair, there is nothing truly new in the knife world. EVERYTHING has been done before, with the exception of some of the more unique locking mechanisms. EVERYTHING!
And, to be fair, NOBODY in their right mind is going to pay $30 for a Ganzo thinking that it's going to be just as good as a Pro-Tech, or Benchmade, or whatever.

Can you explain specifically what the problems are you encounter to getting a knife in your country? I get the Tax part but there has got to be a better way than buying a ganzo. Perhaps S Smiling can give some advice. I would think that the same source you would be getting this ganzo from also sells some legitimate options beside boker magnum.

I do agree with the fixed blade suggestion though, if you are doing farm work that is.
Well, only American knives are usually very expensive here. Brands like Boker Plus, Mora, Real Steel and Condor are still affordable. In my city I have 3 knife stores, 1 with wide selection but it's terribly expensive, other one with cheap flea market knives in mystery steels and finally a store on same adress as Cold Steel distributor and you can get Cold Steel knives for very nice prices. Often even better than online.

I bought 2 knives there, I however I also ordered some from European sites. Prices are fair on most of them.

If you don't mind, what country? And how is it you can get a ganzo?

Serbia.

I can get them from Gearbest and AliExpress. Some companies ship to Serbia, but the shipping fee is usually half the price of the knife, sometimes more. There are only two major online knife stores in the entire country, and most decent knives are twice the price than in the US due to the import tax.

Serbia.

I can get them from Gearbest and AliExpress. Some companies ship to Serbia, but the shipping fee is usually half the price of the knife, sometimes more. There are only two major online knife stores in the entire country, and most decent knives are twice the price than in the US due to the import tax.
While I don't like the idea of ordering from those websites as they sell a lot of counterfeits and they aren't supporting dealers here, they've got to sell some legitimate knives. Please look a little harder before giving your money to thieves. There is always a better way.

While I don't like the idea of ordering from those websites as they sell a lot of counterfeits and they aren't supporting dealers here, they've got to sell some legitimate knives. Please look a little harder before giving your money to thieves. There is always a better way.
I know a guy who ordered custom made knife from knife maker in China, price was very cheap for a custom made knife, steel is SK-5 and he seems to be extremley satisfied with the knive.

He contacted that guy through similar site to AliExpress. It still cost around 50-100€ but at least that guy isn't producing fakes, and that price for a custom made knife is ridiculous.

There are legit knife makers in China. And also legit companies like Real Steel.

Don't quote me to make it seem like I was calling China, "thieves and scammers".

I did not. Underlining China made clear my rhetorical device to anyone paying attention at all. How can you be concerned by the comparatively petty offenses of the "thieves and scammers" in Ganzo yet somehow ignore the far greater ones of the CCP which has controlling interest in all Chinese companies? This is logically and morally inconsistent.

I did not. Underlining China made clear my rhetorical device to anyone paying attention at all. How can you be concerned by the comparatively petty offenses of the "thieves and scammers" in Ganzo yet somehow ignore the far greater ones of the CCP which has controlling interest in all Chinese companies? This is logically and morally inconsistent.
It's because its against forum rules to discuss politics outside of the political sub-forum.

Well, I was paying attention and it wasn't clear to me. I suggest you try harder in the future. You took my quote out of context and I don't appreciate it.

What was clear to me was that you were trying to generate political discussion outside the proper Arena, (as danbot danbot already pointed out). We are here to talk knives, and Ganzo, the knife company, doesn't deserve support or discussion on these Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back