#78 American Jack

I'm getting a smooth white bone 2-blade American Jack. I'm looking forward to it, but I must say I can't help but "sigh" at the hotdog shield. And I actually quite like the hotdog shield! But, as someone who usually prefers Tidioute to Northfield, I simply have A LOT of hotdogs in my collection. I think this will be my last hotdog for a while. I just really loved the recent run of 66s for this reason. It would have been great to see an oval or a bomb on one some of the 2-blade variations of these American Jacks.

Yeah, the hot dog shield is a bit plain, but aesthetically, it can depend on the knife.
On my Tidiute 54 Big Jack, not only is the size about right, but it mirrors the shape of the knife.

From the first minute I slid it out of it’s tube, I thought “that is perfect for engraving”. Could that have been their intent?

I don't like the hot dog shield. I'd buy a tidioute version in Coccobolo but not for that shield.

In general I dislike food products as a knife shield so will likely pass.. but not 100% sure yet.

Im loving the yankee whittler verisons. I will try to pick one up. I think Im leaning toward the pick bone. I will have to see the asking price.

I'm definitely getting one of these. Always wished I'd gotten one from the last run, or at the GEC store. I just have to decide between the two blade and one blade. I love undyed bone and want one in that, if not several covers.

First of the Tidioutes. Nice looking knife, the Tidioute shield looks great on this.

XXq2GkW.jpg

What do folks think of this first release? I like it. I am excited to hear reviews on this knife.

What do folks think of this first release? I like it. I am excited to hear reviews on this knife.

I like the Tidioute Shield. Looking like substantial knives. However, I'm not a spear Point guy, and I'm also not a fan of knives that have two of the same blade profile. This is why I reserved a Northfield, so I could turn the spear point blade into a clip point blade. And, if we're going to have an excess of a gec run on the shelves for a little while, this is a good pattern for it.

I can't get excited about another equal end/sleeveboard pattern, but I do think the recent runs have had a good mix of shapes and sizes to suit everyones tastes and I appreciate the need to up the volume and have more GEC knives available.

As a minimalist, I like the hot dog shield just fine. I feel like if they’d call it something different (maybe keyhole?) it’d be more popular. Seriously. The name goes a long way and can certainly make our perception change.

I’m hoping nothing strikes me too keenly, I’m about to be in knife-purge mode!

It’ll be interesting to see what the pulls are like on this run, I look forward to reading reviews when these hit mailboxes.

The 78 Northfield may be the first in a while where I try to pick up every version, the 2 blade spear is pretty much my favorite vintage knife pattern and this version from GEC looks to be spot on, should fit in very well with these old ones.

IMG_7021.jpg IMG_7563.jpg

I know I shouldn’t of clicked on this thread lol .
Just reserved a cocobolo.

The Maher & Grosch Yankee Whittlers are available for purchase on their site now. Just an fyi.

Back