99 Wallstreet on the horizon, who's excited

My 1st. Gec also. absolutely love it, stag and thin but it has a little movement in the bade , I wouldn't abuse it.

I have an elk on order. Excited for this stainless round.

On a side note, none of my GEC lockbacks have blade play.

Thanks for the pics, I am really looking forward to this one. I see that they are already being built, I reserved one in Elk, will be my first Elk unless the Blade Forums annual gets to me first. I read somewhere that the way that GEC processes Elk that there rarely is a fatty, and I've never seen pics of a fatty Elk GEC, is there any truth to this?

IMG_5924.jpg

IMG_5929.jpg

I read somewhere that the way that GEC processes Elk that there rarely is a fatty, and I've never seen pics of a fatty Elk GEC, is there any truth to this?

Both my 15 elks are hafted nice and close, one (not shown) evenly concaved. Wouldn't consider my elk viper (bottom) a fatty like you see on some Cases, but not thin like my 15s.

elk15andviper3.jpg

Side view shows viper shield is inset deeper into the thicker covers.

elk15andviper1.jpg

Never had a single lock blade GEC with that problem. Every one of em has been vault-door solid.
Both of my 72s from the 2016 run have a lot of play. Don't know why GEC can't get this right. I have several Case lockbacks and one Buck and they all lock up solid. Not to mention a few modern folders with back locks and no play.

Both of my 72s from the 2016 run have a lot of play. Don't know why GEC can't get this right. I have several Case lockbacks and one Buck and they all lock up solid. Not to mention a few modern folders with back locks and no play.
I do not and have never owned a a 72 or a wallstreet (although I would like to). For the most part my experience with everyday use of a GEC lockback has been relegated to the Mudbug. I have daily carried and heavily used five different Mudbugs. I can even say I have abused one of them and all five are still rock solid. Two possible explanations - 1 Maybe the larger size knives are less susceptible to this problem? -2 These Mudbugs require a great deal of downward pressure to unlock the blade. Are your 72's hard to unlock or is it relatively soft?

I do not and have never owned a a 72 or a wallstreet (although I would like to). For the most part my experience with everyday use of a GEC lockback has been relegated to the Mudbug. I have daily carried and heavily used five different Mudbugs. I can even say I have abused one of them and all five are still rock solid. Two possible explanations - 1 Maybe the larger size knives are less susceptible to this problem? -2 These Mudbugs require a great deal of downward pressure to unlock the blade. Are your 72's hard to unlock or is it relatively soft?

My 42 is a big knife. It’s got a light pull and light release, so you might be onto something.m with that.

They are both easy to unlock. It was my understanding that GEC's excuse for the large amount of blade play in the 2016 72s was that previous lockbacks were difficult to unlock and that the mechanism has to be loosened up to make it easier to unlock. But other manufacturers don't seem to have a problem.

BTW, this thread made me run and grab my favorite small traditional lockback: the Moki Small Fish Owl (another with rock solid lockup).

Awesome, and that Viper is no fatty. Hoping that this is the case with this run.

Both my 15 elks are hafted nice and close, one (not shown) evenly concaved. Wouldn't consider my elk viper (bottom) a fatty like you see on some Cases, but not thin like my 15s.

elk15andviper3.jpg

Side view shows viper shield is inset deeper into the thicker covers.

elk15andviper1.jpg

shame its not a usual blade shape, otherwise id have attempted to get in on one

I've always regretted not getting a 99 in Nifebrite and O-1. I'd settle for a 1095 one, but those aren't on this menu either.

Is this new run wharncliffe only? I'd like to try a spear or clip in some sort of wood or the right jigged bone, but I've no interest in a wharncliffe one.

Back