1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

99 Wallstreet on the horizon, who's excited

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by nyrico, Oct 9, 2018.

1. thepapercut

thepapercut

Aug 26, 2017
    Same! The farmers 99 is how I discovered GEC actually. Sadly I have never seen one for sale. But I keep searching...

Does anyone know who is getting these Wall Streets? I’m always assuming I missed a preorder.

2. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Collector Knives had a preorder but there will be some going to GEC distributors for normal drops.

3. ISKRA

ISKRA

Sep 19, 2016
    Just curious, what's the logic behind a wharncliffe blade on a lockback? I don't think I've seen that before, usually you encounter clips, spears, drop points and similar styled blades with a point and at least a bit of belly.

Nice to see GEC putting out something in stainless again! My only one so far is a 33 dog paw and I love it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Stropping Young Lad likes this.
  4. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    That might be the logic right there. Something different.

ISKRA likes this.
  5. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    Missed the preorder but hope to grab one. :D

Fodderwing likes this.
  6. blanco112

blanco112 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Why doesn't a wharncliffe make sense with a lockback? They were also offered on the run in 2014.

990114lb-smooth-autumn-gold-bone-700x456.jpg 990114lb-Black-Linen-Micarta1-700x456.jpg

Fodderwing likes this.
  7. ISKRA

ISKRA

Sep 19, 2016
    Well, I usually imagine a lockback or linerlock to be used in a rougher way than a slipjoint, being more of an outdoors knife used for camping, hunting or tasks in the wood. For such tasks a clip point or drop point is more suited imo. Something with a point to pierce and some belly. Whereas blades with completely straight edges are in my eyes more suited for tasks where draw cuts are required, or for cutting on a surface (like a table), cutting boxes, paper etc. Such situations have less of a need for an arresting blade because you most often push the blade against the backsring. There's less danger for it to close on you. But I guess the Wall Street is meant more as a gent's lockback, something suitable for office environment and such. In this case the wharncliffe blade makes perfect sense.

This is just my subjective view, I'm not trying to force my thoughts on others or to belittle the knife.

8. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    As far as I recall, the Wharncliffe was the least popular of the blades on the original run. Things change of course.....

9. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    It's my favorite blade. It's all about the curve ... aesthetics. Pragmatic consideration is back there somewhere near the caboose. :cool:

Ratbert, JohnDF and Railsplitter like this.
  10. nyrico

nyrico Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Chestnut looks almost done

[​IMG]

biglmbass, TFBraden, Dadpool and 2 others like this.
  11. nyrico

Mar 26, 2012
    I know that someone already answered about the Springfield bone....

[​IMG]

12. Stropping Young Lad

Stropping Young Lad Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Seems like a locking blade would have most advantage on a blade designed for stabbing. I’m not complaining though, this will be a cool run.

13. thepapercut

thepapercut

Aug 26, 2017
    My guess is whatever site these end up on, they’ve got to be spoke for by now. Beautiful.

14. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    If I don’t get one on the standby on the chestnut I may have to see if my ironwood 14 will entice a trade. They look nice and stainless!

traumkommode likes this.
  15. thepapercut

thepapercut

Aug 26, 2017
    Are these going to any particular retailer or the normal disturbitor list?

16. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    The production schedule doesn’t indicate SFO so I’m guessing all the dealers who wanted will get some.

17. waverave

waverave Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I had never seen Springfield bone before...It definitely looks interesting :) Will reserve judgement until I see a finished knife.

18. waverave

waverave Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2018
    That is correct...a smaller run but they will be available. So far I am digging the wood covers.

19. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    I agree. Chestnut looks great, and the bone is darker than the 15 stainless with that long snaking groove pattern.

waverave likes this.
  20. nyrico

Mar 26, 2012
    Near completion and looking good.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

biglmbass and Mingecutter like this.