1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

A-2 Trail Master

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by bladeCraft124, Jun 30, 2019.

1. The Mastiff

The Mastiff

Apr 21, 2006
    "Wasn't AUS10 as far as I know. It was either AUS6 or AUS8...both were called out in the catalogs that included them. But AUS6 was called out more often, so that is probably what it was, and the AUS8 was a typo. Can check it out in post #2 of the TM History"

I never saw one in person so I won't stand and die on this as a fact. There was an Aus10 model advertised and the asking price was for my standards then pretty costly in comparison to the Carbon V versions. Was it a misprint, is my mind playing tricks on me? I honestly am not sure now and the one fact I will stand on is my memory is far from perfect.

Is there any website that has all the old catalogs where they can be looked through? I'd love to do the research on this.

Joe

2. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    The Cold Steel website has most of the old catalogs archived, but there are some gaps. I have not seen any AUS10 Trail Masters in the catalogs (or on ebay), but they certainly could have done a special run. I have one of a 40 piece run of AUS10 Tantos that they did many years ago, along with the Xmas flyer that the previous owner bought it from. So anything is possible.

3. Cold Steel Knives

Cold Steel Knives Moderator Moderator

Apr 16, 2013
    We have never made them in AUS10, not sure where this is coming from.

oldmanwilly likes this.
  4. The Mastiff

The Mastiff

Apr 21, 2006
    "We have never made them in AUS10, not sure where this is coming from."

A real or imagined memory of a closeout of a few knives in a special projects catalog. It wasn't a full run of them and they were expensive. This would have been around the time the tri fold knife was made in Aus 10 but seeing as I'm the only one that remembers them ( Trail masters not those Tri fold knives in Aus 10) and I can't even correctly identify what decade this was I'm leaning towards a mistake on my part. If they existed it seems like some one else would have recall of them so if I was a betting man....

5. Cold Steel Knives

Apr 16, 2013
    AUS10 has never been used in the past. It is a new steel, we just started using it for 2019.

6. jlauffer

Apr 11, 2016
    Maybe not for Trail Masters, but like I said, I have a Tanto in AUS 10A that was from 2001. If you check post #4 in the Tanto History there are pics.

The Mastiff and jux t like this.
  7. Cold Steel Knives

Apr 16, 2013
    Right, only on those limited Tanto's that you got one of. Never on the Trail Master (what I referred to as "them" above).

8. The Mastiff

The Mastiff

Apr 21, 2006
    "AUS10 has never been used in the past. It is a new steel, we just started using it for 2019."

"Right, only on those limited Tanto's that you got one of. Never on the Trail Master (what I referred to as "them" above)."

Those folding handle knives were using Aus 10 back in the 80's IIRC. Aluminium handles with an almost butterfly like movement . I can not recall the name of them. (* Edit: I looked them up in an old catalog. They were called "triple action and are in a catalog from 2001) They were not real popular then or now. I believe I still have mine put away in a box somewhere.

Aus 10 isn't a new steel by any means. Jungleee was another manufacturer using it IIRC in the early 2000's. I still think CS made some test Trail Masters in Aus10 and then used Special Projects catalog to sell the few remaining.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 10:02 PM
  9. jlauffer

Apr 11, 2016
    Yes, the Triple Action folders used AUS 10A back in the early 2000's

Nautique, The Mastiff and jux t like this.