A-2 Trail Master

You know they're located in Ventura California and have been shut down for months due to the Covi-rona, right? You know they're now shut down from 7/1 to 7/13 for physical inventory, right? Maybe a big https://www.coldsteel.com/summer-sale/ will make you feel better.

Covid has nothing to do with this. It has now been years since Cold Steel has made any non San Mai Trailmasters, Scouts, or Kukris (The last they produced were in O-1), and I am unconvinced that the San Mai versions are actually recent production. I think its old stock that is slowly selling off.

Finally, I bought two knives during the summer sale, mostly to try and support them. The so-called sale prices were just the regular online price all the major retailers offer. Still, I did my part.

If you think about all the things that Cold Steel has to do before it can start putting new knives out there for sale, then you'll see that this delay is not surprising. We all know that CS has its knives manufactured under contract by outside companies/factories. Even though they're only changing the type of steel used, and not the designs, they'll still have to make significant changes inside the factory to go from making O-1 to A2 knives. Because I would think the heat treating and many other production processes are going to be completely different. Then after the factory makes prototype models, CS has to test them to make sure they're tough enough, sharp enough, and so forth. If there were problems with the heat treat or the quality of steel, they'll have to corrected by the metallurgists. Finally, after the prototypes pass all the tests, they'll start manufacturing in high quantities. I would think that getting the factories set up properly is the biggest challenge. Doubtless, these factories don't just work for CS, they work for dozens of other knife companies and tool manufacturers as well. So it may be CS has to wait for its turn.

Once they start churning them out, I'm sure they make 'em in batches of at least ten or twenty thousand. Cost of production is an extremely important factor to the profit margin. Costs per knife probably goes down as the number of knives produced increases. Ultimately, it's all about the profit margin. I'm sure the A2 models will come out eventually, but we may have wait a while longer.

I gave up and bought a Blackjack. It will be here tomorrow. I wanted to spend that money with Cold Steel, but there it is.

EDIT: It arrived and it is spectacular. Far nicer than I expected actually -- the pictures don't do it justice. The fit and finish are absolutely perfect. Even the thick leather sheath is better than I had hoped. The ONLY negative is that it is not as sharp as I prefer (I like my knives stupid sharp) but this is not really a surprise. Blade HQ was on the ball as always.

Last edited:
They made sk5 trailmaster when they were made in China; hopefully these a2 knives materialize soon...

Drop Forged Survivalist in 52100 is a good alternative in that case.
I have a couple of these great knives for the bucks although I do wish they would design the tip so it's thicker like the scout and maybe take the top guard off on it. It would be a better outdoor survivalist type knife Imho. I feel like that tip would snap off under pressure from digging or prying possibly. It does feel good in the hand though and overall it's a nice knife at a great price.

Disappointing news.Kind of like how the new micro recons are in 4034.If it was in the new S45VN, I'm sure there would be a line miles long.

Drop Forged Survivalist in 52100 is a good alternative in that case.

Great knife, but quite a bit heavier if I recall correctly. The DF Hunter is the same, amazing but heavy. If you plan to seriously abuse your knife the trade off might well be worth it though.

Back