A 2016 Forum Knife. An apology, and The Crossroads!

A fancy peanut would be sweet.

I like philll's option too. I would be happy with a caplifter knife.

The lambsfoot would be good.... But I'd rather see it in a smaller 3 1/4" or 3 3/8" pattern swayback with a pen secondary.... So, two springs.

I think a equal ended knife with utility blade and cap lifter screwdriver on other end would be cool

Very good of you to consider helping again this year, Charlie. I figured the 2015 knife was going to end up being the last. I like the idea of a 3 3/4" equal-ender of some design, though yet another bottle-opener pattern doesn't interest me.

No caplifters!!!! It's been done before on a forum knife and we literally just had a crap load of beer scouts come out not long ago.

Yep, already been done (and arguably done to death) :thumbup:

Half a scout is better than none...

knife04.jpg

Borrowed this picture from the "Old Knives" thread, originally posted by C. Noyes.

A punch is extremely useful and you'd be surprised how often you use it daily. Perfect for poking, prodding, puncturing, piercing and picking.

I can understand not wanting to do another cap lifter. But the Talon is being run right now (currently on the front page) and it is very similar to a lambsfoot. There are differences but they are very similar. Would the handle be the same as the 47 or different?

470116-Smooth-Camel-Bone-900x541.jpg

Here are a few of my ideas from the other discussion...

(1) Double end premium jack exactly like this one except with a sheepfoot instead of the spey blade

(2) Sowbelly

(3) Carpenter's Knife. These were made using several different handle shapes. Some are shaped like GEC's 47 pattern. Ideally, the blades would sit low in the handle. This old example has the pulls on the same side whereas I'd put the pulls on opposite sides so that the blades can be lower in the handle.

curved handle

(4) Sleeveboard with locking clip blade and sheepfoot/coping secondary

(5) GEC 38 with the same blade combination shown in #4 (clip and sheepfoot/coping secondary)

(6) Orange Blossom.

(7) Eureka Cattle pattern ...with 2 springs instead of 3 springs... either split backspring whittler or standard cattle knife configuration... and sheepfoot instead of spey blade

(8) 3-blade surveyor

Last edited:
thanks for stepping up to the plate again Charlie!
your masochism knows no bounds. ;)

while the lambsfoot intrigues me greatly, I would be fine with an equal end as well.

Picture this Winchester 2991 but substitute the clip blade with a Wharncliffe. It's a 3 3/4" equal end but has two springs. It could be made with one spring but both blades would have to be shorter.

Bdev-
They did exactly what u r referring to in 4.25". I have one and love it. It was a 53 frame I believe.
Picture this Winchester 2991 but substitute the clip blade with a Wharncliffe. It's a 3 3/4" equal end but has two springs. It could be made with one spring but both blades would have to be shorter.

Bdev-
They did exactly what u r referring to in 4.25". I have one and love it. It was a 53 frame I believe.

Yes.....They called it the "Furtaker". Nice knife but a bit too big for front pocket EDC (for me).

This one, this one, this one. :D Given that GECs 47 and 74 patterns are similar I'd image it would require minimal new tooling, keeping the costs low/lower . I'll take mine in coal black ebony and don't even think of putting a lanyard hole in it.

(3) Carpenter's Knife.

curved handle

Yes.....They called it the "Furtaker". Nice knife but a bit too big for front pocket EDC (for me).

I think it would work well on the 68 pattern. I'd buy one. But it wouldn't be my first choice for the forum knife.

It was suggested that a new pattern might be a possibility and I'd like to use this opportunity for a completely new pattern if possible. I think Charlie said something like "go big or go home". Who knows if we'll ever have another chance to introduce a new pattern. Might as well use this opportunity to the fullest. Otherwise, I do like your idea though.

If the 3 3/4" equal end is the only option for a new pattern (maybe it's already in the works), then this sounds pretty good especially if a cap lifter is out. I think I may prefer two full size blades on the smaller 68 pattern... not sure though

Last edited:
I really like the idea of a single spring half-scout!

A 3 3/4" single spring equal end sounds like a winner to me.

The only thing that I don't like about the swayback type frame on the #47 Sheepsfoot is that it is Very comfortable in a hammer grip, but just as uncomfortable held any other way...

Back