A Kershaw slipped in under the radar - the Kershaw Median!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffsenpai

Gold Member
Just picked up one of these from the exclusive retailer they sell at, about $20 on sale. A better name for this knife would be the Kershaw Goldilocks, since it fills the void left in between the Cryo and Cryo II. 3 inch blade, 7-1/8 inches overall. Super reminiscent of the Cryo. Only downside is the blade steel - 3cr13Mov. Its regular price before the sale was $39.99, so definitely wait till it goes on sale.

Speedsafe, nylon washers, typical deep carry pocket clip with 3 way carry - so if neither the Cryo or Cryo II are a good fit you may want to give the Median a try. (and it arrived with tip up carry - Thumbs up Kershaw!)

IMAG1731_zpsdf66d565.jpg

IMAG1735_zps60838cd3.jpg

Well, that's news to me. Too bad they used more of that dog shit 3Cr13 steel they've been going with lately.

There's a lot of Kershaw designs I like only if they came with better steel. This being one of them

Oh hey--a torx bit drive on both sides! No "stuck/spinning pivot" problems! :D

For $20 what the F**K do you expect... m390 with a stone washed finish and KVT ??? Oh... and lets throw in some 30K layers carbon fibre while were at it.

Then would it be worth the measly $20 to you idiots???

For F**K sakes...... some people really amaze me.

Do you all you complainers really not GET IT???

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR... WHAT PART OF THAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited:
Well, I personally would buy one - and pay a higher price at that - if it had at least marginally better materials. I like the look and the blade shape, and that's my favorite of Kershaw's clip styles. Oh well . . .

I like it, and for that price its a great value.....which is likely what they are going for:)

Thanks for the find, I will have to add them to the list! I like the look of the black blade one too (might have to get one), but I do find it strange that Kershaw would want to be associated with 3CR13MoV these days, even though I have no doubt there is big money in this exclusive for them. I really do love how they call it the: "Kershaw Median Titanium Flipper Knife" because it has a: "sturdy stainless steel handle with a titanium-nitride coating"... :rolleyes:

(Though they don't give model #'s... I would ASSUME the bead blasted model would be 1551BB, but if anyone can confirm this, please let me know, Kershaw has been know to confound me with the model numbers before...)

Last edited:
For $20 what the F**K do you expect... m390 with a stone washed finish and KVT ??? Oh... and lets throw in some 30K layers carbon fibre while were at it.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR... WHAT PART OF THAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?????????????????????????????????????????????

I completely agree with the basic sentiment of this ^ , though maybe a touch less passionately (no offense intended, Poolhustler). Kershaw is simply doing what they can to offer quality knives at a variety of price points. Not everyone can, or feels that they can, afford the model with CF/Ti/M390, or even the model with G10/SS/14C28N, and these 3CR knives are intended for those people, and the people who can afford the "better" models, but just don't feel the need or desire for them. Also, these are good starter models for the person who may or may not become a knife enthusiast like most of us are. Myself as an example; early on, I was most interested in the more affordable knives, but over the years, my interests have shifted to mainly ZTs and hard-to-find Kershaw (though if I won the lottery, I would have at least one of every Kai knife, even the cheapies). I may wind up selling some of the lower end knives in my collection to fund more expensive models (got my fingers crossed for a ZT 0454!), and I hope whomever purchases them will enjoy them as much as I have so far.

You should stamp your feet and scream about it......

For $20 other brands are selling 9CR, 8CR, and AUS8. All of which smoke this 420/3CR crap. The difference from M390 to 8CR is less than the difference from 3CR to 8CR to put that into perspective. 3CR is what they use in those 50 cent safety scissors for kids. To boot, most of their competitors are not only using better steel, but they splurge the extra 4 pennies for bronze washers too.

It's just maximizing profits. That's what business is all about though, if profits are your most crucial business model. Such tactics are why I started avoiding Gerber and Boker years ago, and I don't feel as much pride in my other KAI products because if this 3CR binge. That's just one guy's opinion though, and I'm sure KAI/ZT won't miss nor care that they're losing a few hundred dollars of my business per year.

Opinions are opinions. Gotta love free markets and free speech.

Thats a cool looking little blade, but if I bought one I would probably only carry it a few times since im not fond whatsoever of 3cr. Life is too short to use lame steels:D Its not like it would have been hard for them to use 8cr though, so thats pretty crappy.

WELL DAMN! I just noticed they have ANOTHER exclusive! The Kershaw Tanto Groove Knife, and even better, it's ALL-BLACK (drool...)! BUT... how can they call it that, it IS NOT a GROOVE! AND, that name is already taken by a black tanto knife that IS a groove! :beguiled:

Regular price is 40$. It's on sale for 20$.

Kershaw Clash 31$ - 8cr
Kershaw Chill 21$ - 8cr
Kershaw OD-2 16$ - 8cr
Kershaw One Ton 20$ - 8cr
Kershaw RJI 29$ - 8cr
Kershaw Brawler 30$ - 8cr
Kershaw Volt II 26$ - 8cr
Kershaw Nerve 17$ - 8cr
Kershaw Cryo II 40$ - 8cr
Kershaw Zing 32$ - 8cr
CRKT Ripple 39$ - 8cr (With bearings.)
Ontario Rat 1 30$ - AUS-8