A Kershaw slipped in under the radar - the Kershaw Median!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the look, sad about the steel, but, at $20.00 might be worth picking one up to kinda stash somewhere and forget about like a first aid kit or something, and be pleasantly surprised to come across again one day when you need to cut something, like a bandage, or whatever.

Ive never been to cabelas but as I understand it its as much an experience as a place to shop. All kinds of choices under one roof and stuff to look at. They seem to be doing something right been around a long time. Maybe they know something the haters here dont .

and I also gave up my gold membership because of all the negativity here

It is unique, much like Bass Pro is...they do have pretty much everything outdoors related you can think of, you could probably live in there for about 5 years on all the survival food and beef jerky they stock. The downsides are that a)guns are seriously overpriced, new or used b) many areas of it smell like animal urine and other colorful odors c) it can often be total bubba overload, especially on weekends. Lots of lurking "experts" around the gun counter especially, minimum one "SEAL" or "Recon Marine" is guaranteed to be around at all times if you catch my drift.

It is unique, much like Bass Pro is...they do have pretty much everything outdoors related you can think of, you could probably live in there for about 5 years on all the survival food and beef jerky they stock. The downsides are that a)guns are seriously overpriced, new or used b) many areas of it smell like animal urine and other colorful odors c) it can often be total bubba overload, especially on weekends. Lots of lurking "experts" around the gun counter especially, minimum one "SEAL" or "Recon Marine" is guaranteed to be around at all times if you catch my drift.

^^^I have clearly been missing out on some amazing expert opinions in the real world here.

^^^I have clearly been missing out on some amazing expert opinions in the real world here.

You didn't know that a 9mm will fly right through somebody but a .45, even if it hits the pinky finger will cause instant death?? OK, I exaggerate a bit, but that's the type of "experts" that seem to lurk around. I bought my full size M&P 9mm from there, at an inflated price, but because I wanted the tan frame model which isn't sold anywhere else. There was a long wait to get the manager's signoff on the sale (this was during the dark times of 2013), during the time I was waiting, an "expert" starting talking to (at) me and shared all kinds of interesting advice. It started along the lines of "err ye shuure you wana be gettin' that 9 milly meter?"...facepalm...

Just picked up one of these from the exclusive retailer they sell at, about $20 on sale. A better name for this knife would be the Kershaw Goldilocks, since it fills the void left in between the Cryo and Cryo II. 3 inch blade, 7-1/8 inches overall. Super reminiscent of the Cryo. Only downside is the blade steel - 3cr13Mov. Its regular price before the sale was $39.99, so definitely wait till it goes on sale.

Speedsafe, nylon washers, typical deep carry pocket clip with 3 way carry - so if neither the Cryo or Cryo II are a good fit you may want to give the Median a try. (and it arrived with tip up carry - Thumbs up Kershaw!)]

Deal breaker right there.

I can forgive the budget steel given the price. But I absolutely hate nylon washers. I've never had a knife that used nylon or teflon washers that didn't develop bladeplay (cept for Emerson's beefy Nylatron washers, they're amazing). Then you go to tighten the pivot a bit, and they deform. And since this knife is Speedsafe, it'll have a tiny pissant of a washer on one side. No thanks.
Please stop doing that Kershaw!

You guys keep forgetting that this knife was not planned and built for us. It was built per spec by a large box store that doesn't care what we think because they know they will sell like hotcakes.

I show friends my higher priced knives that I have and every single one of them thinks I am crazy for spending more than $50 on any knife.

To 99% of the general population, a knife is just a knife. They don't care about blade play, steel, etc....

But I guess the bottom line is that it makes some people feel better by bitching and complaining about it, so have at it... lol

Would you make scales out of cardboard and sell them for the same cost as G10? Would your conscience feel good about it? Would you expect to keep your customer base?

It's not just one knife. They have a bunch of 3CR knives, all priced similarly to their better knives, and more than any other 3CR knife.

I'm not arguing they won't make a profit, or that it's not smart business. What I'm saying is I can't respect that choice. That's MY opinion, that I'm free to have. I'm not going to sell my various KAI's off in shame just yet, but I'm not going to support a company who has lost focus on quality to pull a fast one on the ignorant. You may be okay with that, but I'm not. I'm not knocking you for that either.

Even though I'm also a bit disappointed that they seem to have started using 3cr instead of 8cr, I'm not so sure that they have lost focus on quality. Who knows, it might even be to fund their Zero Tolerance projects and knives.

But, yeah, it's definitely not in tune with what my impression of Kai is.

This 3cr thing, selling the limited edition Zero Tolerance knives themselves, the "factory custom" project (I assume the "upgraded" parts will be quite overpriced.). All indicates a significant change in direction. While they seem to be keeping the regular MSRP prices for these limited editions, they might not do so with others; they'd, of course, keep the regular prices for the introduction of a new sale concept. By cutting out the middle-man, they have significantly more control over the prices. And, as we all know, their limited editions regularly catch outrageous prices on the second hand market.

interesting perspective, judge a company for the products you wouldnt buy yourself....hope that works for you in the long run.

As for the poor analogy of cardboard scales....I have turned down many jobs from customers who wanted something i didnt want to do. I have also made scales out of materials I personally dont like for customers because they like it, and thats what they ordered. I would hope perspective customers would respect the fact that if im commissioned to make something for a specific customer, and that customer is happy then there is no issue. My point is that people on this thread are making an issue where there doesnt need to be one. Kershaw is growing leaps and bounds over the past several years. They are also increasing there US development of ZT, so it makes sense to also expand in the opposite direction. As for the selling price, thats determined by the retailer. Regarding the similar price points to other 8cr knives...take into account the fact that they have a new design, which likely requires new tooling, testing, and packaging...so the pricepoint seems pretty legit....perhaps if it sells well and they continue to make them it would go down more, but you dont launch a new product like this at a loss....

To the OP, who was actually enthusiastic about a cool find, i apologize if any of this pointless drivel has tarnished the intent. It looks like a cool little knife, while its not ultimately for me as long as you are satisfied with it thats really all that matters.

Everyone else can pull up their pants and stop crapping all over the steel, quality and other perceived issues since im willing to bet none of them have even seen one irl yet to make an actual educated opinion. But most of this doesnt matter because im just a "fanboy" therefore logic, business accumen, and common sense arent allowed.

im out on this thread, and as you can see by the change in my overall status im pretty much done with BF. Threads like this where people just bash on a knife they will never buy is pretty much why. If i want to hear a bunch of whining i'll go to a daycare.

Keep in mind that you're a custom maker, and Kai is a production company that makes products for the retail space, and, as such, they put their products out there, backed up with either less-than-true or exaggerated marketing claims, and expect people to buy them.

There are some people that might say that if you don't like the product, why are you posting in a thread about it? But, I find that attitude a bit weird. A one sided "discussion" would not be very good for anyone, especially not anyone, in this case, interested in knives. Thoughts, opinions, concerns by people on both sides of the fence is good for discussion and prospective buyers. If people were only allowed to post about a product if they had good things to say, that would not be good for the consumers, at all. Critical thought is important for information about products.

You guys keep forgetting that this knife was not planned and built for us. It was built per spec by a large box store that doesn't care what we think because they know they will sell like hotcakes.

I show friends my higher priced knives that I have and every single one of them thinks I am crazy for spending more than $50 on any knife.

To 99% of the general population, a knife is just a knife. They don't care about blade play, steel, etc....

But I guess the bottom line is that it makes some people feel better by bitching and complaining about it, so have at it... lol

I'd expect that from SOG, Buck, or Gerber.

But not Kershaw. They still have a reputation for excellent quality, especially the US made models. If you're implying that Kershaw would think it's okay to make a sub par product on the basis that the average user wouldn't know the difference or care, then I'd have to disagree with you on that one. I'm sure the folks over at Kershaw would too.

I think this knife is great for the price. I just really hate nylon. Seriously, how much more would PB washers cost?

I believe it was already stated before, but nothing about this knife was probably KAI's call (besides the design of the knife). The big box retailer probably stated that this is what I want, let's make it happen. They were paid to make the knife and did so to the customers specifications.

Still has Kershaw's name on it though.

If Cabela's contacted Saddleback Leather and said "Hey Dave, I need you guys to make an exclusive bag for my retail store. But I need you to make it out of vinyl and bonded leather instead of full grain so we can make a high profit. Oh and go ahead and leave your name on it too so your reputation for quality sells it."

yeah... Dave would tell em to get F****D

In reference to your second paragraph.. Lately I've started showing the following picture to "non-knife" people and telling them to guess which knife cost my $22 and which one cost $125. They get it wrong everytime.
7RgOzA3.jpg

The people buying this knife generally don't care about blade steel or they do and they know what they're getting into.

My assumption is that Cabelas came to KAI with a knife design and an amount they were willing to pay per knife. Kershaw can manufacture the knife in a manner that they make money, or they can turn down the contract. And I highly doubt this knife would be anywhere close to $40 anywhere else. KAI probably gave an MSRP of $40 and cabelas priced it at that. Who's to say if this was a regular production knife it wouldn't carry a $20 retail. Would everyone still be complaining if that were the case?

Another thing people need to realize is that while many of us prefer manual knives, I would say the target demographic this knife is aimed at would prefer an assisted knife. Assisted knives likely cost more to produce (isn't the assisted rat-1 a $40 knife?).

For every one of you that's going to stop buying leeks and blurs, they'll probably sell a dozen of these knives at $20.

More than likely these design decisions were based on the need to hit a wholesale price point.

I'd never pay $40 for this knife. But at $20, curiosity alone merits owning it. Mine arrives tomorrow. If I get to flip it 20 times, before it falls apart, I'll have had my money's worth :D

I am surprised at all the fuss here. Why shouldn't Kershaw compete at the low end? Current economic realities for a significant fraction of the population almost demand that they do so to ensure that company remains strong. Sure, you could argue that Kershaw should rise above and offer superior materials. But the reality is that many people shop on price alone. A trip through nearly any aisle at WalMart will tell you all there is to know about this - products with 50% of the quality but priced only 20% less sell like hotcakes. Or go to an office supply store and try to find 8.5x11 US letter-sized notebook paper. Or go to a grocery store and try to find an *actual* half-gallon carton of ice cream. Corners are (literally) being cut everywhere, and people lap it up because it's readily available and it costs less. If you want to gripe about something, gripe about that. The companies are merely giving people what they appear to want - the cheapest item on the shelf.

You didn't know that a 9mm will fly right through somebody but a .45, even if it hits the pinky finger will cause instant death?? OK, I exaggerate a bit, but that's the type of "experts" that seem to lurk around. I bought my full size M&P 9mm from there, at an inflated price, but because I wanted the tan frame model which isn't sold anywhere else. There was a long wait to get the manager's signoff on the sale (this was during the dark times of 2013), during the time I was waiting, an "expert" starting talking to (at) me and shared all kinds of interesting advice. It started along the lines of "err ye shuure you wana be gettin' that 9 milly meter?"...facepalm...

Not to get too off-topic but I had a similar experience.

I was checking out the "knife store" in a nearby mall (please don't judge me) and as I was browsing, a military serviceman came in. I couldn't tell you what branch... Even though my older brother was a Marine it's difficult for me to tell on sight which is which, but I would guess this gentleman was Army. I believe he was some form of commanding officer as he was somewhat old to be just a low level recruit, and he also had a cool wide-brimmed hat.

Anyway I was checking out some cheap stuff (not intending to buy, I swear) and he asked me "Is that an M-Tech?" to which I replied "Why yes, yes it is."
He told me "I have an M-Tech, but it's a black fixed blade." I'm not really sure what to say to stuff like that so I just nodded and said cool. I have no idea why, but he then went into a story about how he had to take down some troublemaker when he was on leave or something. He said "this joker was in my face and he grabbed a length of chain and what do you think he starts doing with it?" I honestly had no idea so I said "I have no idea."

Guy tells me "he starts twirling it over his head like a lasso!" Which I guess is not a good way to use a chain but never having used one offensively, I don't know. The military guy told me it was easy enough to kick him in the nads though, which I guess is true if your arms are splayed out and you have a lasso over your head. Lesson of the day for me: don't use a chain like a lasso, if I ever have one in hand. This had nothing to do with knives so to this day I have no idea how we got to that point in the conversation.

A strange but memorable experience.

Side Note: Not in any way a commentary on military servicemen. This guy was a bit goofy but I have absolutely no doubt he was an intelligent guy who knew how to use his training. If something had happened in the mall that day I was in a pretty good spot, I'd say.

Last edited:
Not to get too off-topic but I had a similar experience.

I was checking out the "knife store" in a nearby mall (please don't judge me) and as I was browsing, a military serviceman came in. I couldn't tell you what branch... Even though my older brother was a Marine it's difficult for me to tell on sight which is which, but I would guess this gentleman was Army. I believe he was some form of commanding officer as he was somewhat old to be just a low level recruit, and he also had a cool wide-brimmed hat.

Anyway I was checking out some cheap stuff (not intending to buy, I swear) and he asked me "Is that an M-Tech?" to which I replied "Why yes, yes it is."
He told me "I have an M-Tech, but it's a black fixed blade." I'm not really sure what to say to stuff like that so I just nodded and said cool. I have no idea why, but he then went into a story about how he had to take down some troublemaker when he was on leave or something. He said "this joker was in my face and he grabbed a length of chain and what do you think he starts doing with it?" I honestly had no idea so I said "I have no idea."

Guy tells me "he starts twirling it over his head like a lasso!" Which I guess is not a good way to use a chain but never having used one offensively, I don't know. The military guy told me it was easy enough to kick him in the nads though, which I guess is true if your arms are splayed out and you have a lasso over your head. Lesson of the day for me: don't use a chain like a lasso, if I ever have one in hand. This had nothing to do with knives so to this day I have no idea how we got to that point in the conversation.

A strange but memorable experience.

Honestly this post is the best part of this thread so far.

Deal breaker right there.

I can forgive the budget steel given the price. But I absolutely hate nylon washers. I've never had a knife that used nylon or teflon washers that didn't develop bladeplay (cept for Emerson's beefy Nylatron washers, they're amazing). Then you go to tighten the pivot a bit, and they deform. And since this knife is Speedsafe, it'll have a tiny pissant of a washer on one side. No thanks.
Please stop doing that Kershaw!

Really? To get rid of nylon washers, I'd probably have to get rid of 90% of the knives I own... :eek: Not that I am a FAN of nylon...

I'd expect that from SOG, Buck, or Gerber.

But not Kershaw. They still have a reputation for excellent quality, especially the US made models. If you're implying that Kershaw would think it's okay to make a sub par product on the basis that the average user wouldn't know the difference or care, then I'd have to disagree with you on that one. I'm sure the folks over at Kershaw would too.

I think this knife is great for the price. I just really hate nylon. Seriously, how much more would PB washers cost?

NOT to derail the thread, but what is wrong with SOG? They make a quality product IMO. (Please limit responses to this because, as I say, I don't want to derail the thread...)

In reference to your second paragraph.. Lately I've started showing the following picture to "non-knife" people and telling them to guess which knife cost my $22 and which one cost $125. They get it wrong everytime.

This is an excellent example of marketing to non-knife people and I have done it myself. Even better would be comparing my $6.75 Master Cutlery Tom Anderson Kult Folder to my $190.00 Benchmade Griptilian 551 G10 S30V REI Special Edition (yeah, I go for ALL ends of the spectrum! :bi_polo: )

two knives.jpg

More than likely these design decisions were based on the need to hit a wholesale price point.

I'd never pay $40 for this knife. But at $20, curiosity alone merits owning it. Mine arrives tomorrow. If I get to flip it 20 times, before it falls apart, I'll have had my money's worth :D

I am surprised at all the fuss here. Why shouldn't Kershaw compete at the low end? Current economic realities for a significant fraction of the population almost demand that they do so to ensure that company remains strong. Sure, you could argue that Kershaw should rise above and offer superior materials. But the reality is that many people shop on price alone. A trip through nearly any aisle at WalMart will tell you all there is to know about this - products with 50% of the quality but priced only 20% less sell like hotcakes. Or go to an office supply store and try to find 8.5x11 US letter-sized notebook paper. Or go to a grocery store and try to find an *actual* half-gallon carton of ice cream. Corners are (literally) being cut everywhere, and people lap it up because it's readily available and it costs less. If you want to gripe about something, gripe about that. The companies are merely giving people what they appear to want - the cheapest item on the shelf.

My PERSONAL opinion on why Kershaw should not compete at the LOW END is because they are extremely successful in their niche, which I would call upper-low end to mid-level. They are largely unchallenged in the category. There are certainly some great knives by other makers in this category, such as the Rat 1, but no other company concentrates on this category to the same degree that Kershaw does (though I believe Schrade has been making some in roads). By starting to compete at the LOW END, they are diluting that niche, and I think they are loosing some focus on what has made them successful. IN MY OPINION. ;)

There is so much ignorance in this thread I am just speechless. It's almost as if normally educated individuals just checked their common sense at the door. The reasons for such knives existing that have been discussed time and time again, yet only choose to hear and see what they want to. This is very disappointing indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back