A Matched Pair: GEC + Case

JonMcD

Gold Member
I’m on vacation this week with family and decided to bring a few knives to keep me company. 8 GEC and 8 Case knives. Last night I challenged everyone to take a shot matching them up - one GEC with one Case. No rules other than to match the knives however your taste dictates.

I had a few eye rolls, but before you knew it, everyone wanted to give it a shot. It turned out to be a fun game.

I figured I would post my matches here this week instead of posting in the Totin thread, as I won’t really be totin any knives on the beach!

I’d love anyone who wants to join in to post your favorite GEC + Case pair!

Here is todays contribution…

D6750243-750B-458B-8654-8ACA516C930F.jpeg

We are hanging out in Garden City, SC

DE04C026-EEAC-4DCD-9A0F-0D0DEF536D5C.jpeg

Here’s the results from one of the games.

06B60B4C-0DCC-4BDE-ADE2-F3B3831480EF.jpeg

Have a great week everyone! I surely will!

My only GEC and my only Case. GEC #88 Bayou Trapper and Case XX Canoe with natural blue ring cut Woolly mammoth tusk.

View attachment 1825744
This is an excellent pairing! Really swampy. A gator and the canoe I’d like to stay in while riding on the waters (beautiful dyed mammoth btw).

And the wood on the Tribal Lock is Sycamore - a really attractive selection by case a few years back. They have been using a black dyed version as of late that is also very attractive IMO.

Straight Edge

8cmXlrp.jpg

Looks like blue jeans and a good belt. The Zulu is hard to beat! Great pair!

Straight Edge

8cmXlrp.jpg

Will just came straight off the top rope with the big guns right from the start…game over! Beautiful knives.

I like it when I have a Case and a GEC with me.
FK76evP.jpg

Funny how matching a Yeller case with a TC Barlow will make that Case look like a much bigger winner! Love the sheepsfoot and clip together as well.

Today’s entry for me is a tried and true combo. I refer to the 86 as my favorite knife and have for awhile. I love it’s heft, it’s two blades, and it’s authoritative walk and talk. And I’ve always loved the Autumn Gold Jigged Bone. Paired with it is the gem of the 2019 Barlows IMO. I love the color on the bone of this sawcut and it doesn’t hurt that this was a 2020 Father’s Day gift and will always carry that memory.

2A60FD5F-6561-4E56-B3DC-6AE463E3B529.jpeg

You’ve already been doing this in the Totin thread and was really what got my mind going in this direction to match up the brands.
Thanks. It's always hard for me to pick between a Case and a GEC for the day,
I like them both for different reasons. So, I just started picking one of each for the day.
But now you have me thinking about picking the perfect pairing of the two... my struggles continue. 🤣

After much thought and contemplation... about two minutes worth. ;)
My perfect GEC and Case pairing would be a #71 Bullnose in 1095, and an #18 Medium Stockman in True Sharp.
The Case would be perfect for everyday little chores, pretty enough to impress the non-knife person, and it's very people-friendly.
The GEC would be for heavier chores where a more solid blade is needed, and it will take on a patina and look like a working man's tool.
Of course all the different blade shapes/sizes will compliment eachother and of course they are both in Red Micarta so they automatically pair well together.

Ahhh. I see what you did there. At the beginning of the game I thought I would do one round that was just based on aesthetics and then another round paring up knives that that WORKED/USED well together. But by the time everyone had a round, I didn’t want to push my luck and I bailed on the idea of matching based on which knives WORK well together. I totally agree…not much you can’t tackle (as long as you are not in hunting mode) with a stockman/sodbuster pair.

Solid combo John!

I frequently mix Case and GEC.... I try to pick a "main" knife, then match it with a watch pocket type so that most of the bases are covered...

I'll post pics this evening, if all goes well. Yesterday was an all GEC day, both stag, and today is an all Case day, both stag.... go figure....
😁

Back