1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

A radical theory, and leaving the world of expensive modern knives behind

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Chopaholic, Mar 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I'd care to bet I can sharpen a knife better than you as well!

Bigfattyt, palonej, Minh762 and 6 others like this.
  2. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    Most people here do indeed sharpen their knives.

3. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    Butcher knives are good for what they are designed to do, cut meat. They make real crappy pocket knives though. I have no intention to walk around sporting a 6 inch boning knife or a 10 inch steak knife. I'll leave them at work thank you very much.

Bigfattyt likes this.
  4. jdk1

jdk1

Apr 21, 2010
    OP, If I may offer some advice. Maybe spend less time thinking about knife skills and more time thinking about presentation skills. There are valid points here and we're here to read them, but not be lectured to or insulted. I want to know what a butcher thinks about knives, not what he thinks about the rest of us.

Natlek, Eli Chaps, palonej and 8 others like this.
  5. Chopaholic

Chopaholic

Aug 20, 2018
    It's possible, but I doubt it, given that sharpening has been an obsession of mine for over a decade. The last person who said they thought they could sharpen better than me had never seen a strop and didn't know what it was, thought 1000 grit sandpaper from the hardware store gave the ultimate finish to an edge, had never heard the term "micron" before, and thought 25 degrees per side was good for a kitchen knife. He wasn't half-bad in spite of all of that though.

But given that you've apparently been an active poster on a forum dedicated to knives for 11 years, I wouldn't be surprised if you were as good or better than me at sharpening. I don't claim to be the best in the world. You don't have to prove anything to me.

6. Chopaholic

Chopaholic

Aug 20, 2018
    I didn't attack anyone here. My derogatory comments were in reference to rednecks that I encounter in real life, not any posters here.

7. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    4 decades here and your original troll post with false claims is falling apart already...

marcinek and hexenjager like this.
  8. Chopaholic

Chopaholic

Aug 20, 2018
    Fair enough, but I'm serious about concealed carry, so the 3-4" blade folding knives are just backups to me. Honestly, I don't really believe in "tactical" folding knives, only seen a couple that impressed me. I carry long fixed blades every day in addition to handguns.

Mark McKenzie likes this.
  9. Chopaholic

Chopaholic

Aug 20, 2018
    Why are you so hostile and defensive?

10. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I don't even really use steel any more for a knife. I just grab the nearest rock and smash it against another rock or my head until one edge is somewhat sharp. Doesn't rust, environmentally friendly, cheap enough (free) that if it breaks I won't cry, AND I get to claim moral superiorly over everyone else. Take that modern knives, point to me

tyyreaun, palonej, microbe and 7 others like this.
  11. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Ah, you're one of those as well. That explains a great deal.

tyyreaun, LX_Emergency and Khanvoy44 like this.
  12. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Sock sheath here we come!

Bigfattyt, Pomsbz, palonej and 7 others like this.
  13. Chopaholic

Chopaholic

Aug 20, 2018
    I even make my own magnetic sheaths to carry knives upside-down with no retention mechanism.

14. H0kieengineer

H0kieengineer Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    This seems like a real “wrestling a pig in mud” situation.

I have knives in 52100 that are kitchen knives and they are great, in the kitchen. I don’t NEED 3V or 20CV or some super steel but I WANT those. Same that I can get by with a Honda Civic but you better keep your grimy hands off my Focus RS.

15. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    You take that back. Pigs are smart.

CataD and Khanvoy44 like this.
  16. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Gaston, is that you?
    o_O

Dean51, Bigfattyt, Pomsbz and 13 others like this.
  17. Chopaholic

Chopaholic

Aug 20, 2018
    I wouldn't mind a 12" cimeter in a more high-end steel than whatever victorinox uses for work honestly, but I can't even find such a thing.

18. ronnie hood

ronnie hood

Mar 12, 2018
    Strange dude.

Bigfattyt likes this.
  19. H0kieengineer

H0kieengineer Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    I’m not trying to call anyone names, but OP seems set in his opinion, which is fine.

Again, no one needs a sports car same as no one needs a knife that is made out of steel that was designed to cut other steel. See how many sports cars get turned over if you start talking about needs.

20. jceckrosh

jceckrosh KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 2016
    There are many brands who make Cimitars. Are you saying they all use the same steel as Victorinox, or that you just can't find them?

21. jdk1

jdk1

Apr 21, 2010
    One thing about me which is stupid though, is that I buy really crappy kitchen knives and high quality outdoor knives. I use knives everyday in the kitchen and complain about them every time.

Bigfattyt, JustaNick and coinbuysell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.