A Request to Buck Knives from a buyer of Buck Knives

Yup, at least one...maybe two...definitely 2 in steel other than 420 and s30...I've got plenty of those

No carbon steel for me (I doubt that would ever happen anyway), I don't like "patina" on my blades.

Samon, I don't think Buck ever used carbon steel in the 110. It was introduced with 440C, iiuc.
Plumbrdv, agree 100% on the shape of the Alaskan Guide. That's a much more pleasing blade to look at. Thanks for posting those pics again.

that was a 425 blade in that Alaska state knife!
personily I like the 486 blades in a 110 ... cleaner lines I think
have several one offs that were like that

ugh ... a correction to the above post
YES buck did use carbon steel in a 110
the steel was Damascus but it was carbon !
me I know how to take care of carbon steel but
many don't take the time to do it
... imho not a good idea to have straight carbon steel..

The 110/486 is indeed a nice combination, but the studs are less than worthless in this knife. They open a stock 486 with ease because it has very little spring tension in comparison to the 110.

YouthAwardknifea-1.jpg

FWIW, I prefer the 486 over the standard 110 blade shape. I would rather see the choices be the 425 (drop point) and 486 (modified clip?) and just loose the 110's clip entirely. I recognize that just put me in the heretic camp totally. Personally, I don't get the point (ahem) of a clip points like on the 110 other than to look scary (visual ref to Bowie knives).

Speaking of which, aren't we about due for our semi-annual "Why do they use the 119 in slasher movies?" thread? Same answer. Probably the same answer to why they sell so well at *Mart.

In any event, I think both the 425 and 486 blade shapes are winners.

EDIT to Add: for those looking for carbon steel, you can sometimes find older US made Schrade LB-7s with carbon steel. Look for patina (or rust) and avoid tang stamps with "Schrade+" (typically indicates stainless). GEC's Missouri something or other is close too. Plenty of carbon steel fans out there and Buck just doesn't go after that market.

Very good replys so far, good to know that alot of folks would like a drop point option for the 110.

Me personally I don't like the blade in the 486,482 or 484 (but it is better than a clip) Don't like the blade on the LL above either.
I doubt they would drop it as it has been their flagship folder for how many years.
Carbon's fine if that's what you want but I won't have nothing to do with it, xcept maybe damascus safe queen.

I'd certainly go for one sans the carbon steel. I love good ole' simplistic carbon steel like 1095, however it just doesn't seem very "Buck" to me. I associate Buck with stainless in general.

Plumbrdv, I like that 110LL even better than the 486. Reminiscent of good utility knives like the Schrade H15 to my eye. Really sharp.

The 110/486 is indeed a nice combination, but the studs are less than worthless in this knife. They open a stock 486 with ease because it has very little spring tension in comparison to the 110.

YouthAwardknifea-1.jpg

Yeah that stud is definately in the wrong place on that knife

Isn't that a clip blade?

Some were but not all. the first ones had the drop point blade.

"Quote: from Joe Houser

The 426 was first introduced in Buck's 1984 catalog. It had a drop point blade and maroon handle. They were stamped BUCK, 426, U.S.A. It is entirely possible to find a knife from this time stamped the same, but with a tiny dot after the model number. The dot tells us that the blade was fineblanked rather than conventionally blanked.....I think...and the stamping with the dot was used up until we added date code marks in 1986....I think....
In Buck's 1985 catalog the 426 is offered with the standard clip point blade. Another option is that the handle is now offered in olive drab or maroon."

Check out this thread, it has several pictures of the 426 drop point.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/990250-Pre-1986-BuckLite-426-pics?highlight=426

Seems to me that this discussion has come up before but I don't seem to remember if a reason why it hasn't been introduced into production has been offered. They've done runs for BCCI of drop point 110s and 112s and they have the handles and blades already in production that are pretty close to being interchangeable. A drop point 110 or 112 in ecolite or the standard models shouldn't require any particular special production change ups, right?

The only thing I could think of would be that they just don't see much of demand for it by the general public and if that's the case, I might be able to accept that but I think they could sell just as many of ecolite drop points as clip points.

I have one of these blades in a standard frame and the edge rubs on the rear spacer where the spring is held, when it's squeezed past the point where it naturally sits when folded.
...Actually so do the rest of my 110s? i've only noticed on this knife though :confused: anyway what i started out wanting to say is the BCCI drop point blade is approx 1/4 inch longer than the standard clip point blade so maybe there's an issue putting it into their standard frames?

Back