A Single Lifetime Steel. Whats Yours?

I just picked up a para3 in cruwear and havent had a chance to really use it yet. It does seem like a great all around do it all steel. Anyone have any imput on this?
I have one too love it use it ad my EDC. I resharpened it on a 600 grit DMT diafold( fine) then took it through all my compounds from bastardbeads and strops. (Black, white, green, red) then used his 1 micron and 0.5 micron diamond emulsion. Stuff gets insanely sharp and holds up great!! Seems to hold that edge for a long tine too. You will love the steel. I wipe it down with EDCi once a week, no rust.

For my 2 steels u would say 3V for Fixed blades , and maybe Zfinit or vanax for folders.

This feels like a tougher question than those "only one knife forever" threads. My favorite steel depends on the type of knife, which depends on the task. I don't think I'd ever want just one folder/fixed blade pair. :p

Based on the steels I've used and of which I've used most often, probably Elmax for folder and Sleipner for fixed.

Right now, probably M390 on folders. I don't really have a favorite with fixed blades yet. I suspect it will be 3V, but I do like D2 and CPM154 a lot in a regular use fixed blade.

Not that it is a contest but m390 and 3V are getting a lot of play. I have seen these steels over and over in the industry for top blades in their class. M390 is showing up on tons of midtechs and 3V on most bushcraft knife options in the higher end. I say bushcraft because this seems to be the part of the industry where a mix of toughness and edge holding are both desired.

M390 / 20CV for me as well. That's my "ideal" steel if available in a knife that interests me. My Bradford G4 in M390 has been tough as nails and the stainless properties are perfect for an outdoor tool.

Very happy to see ZT using more 20CV in their offerings. Would put money down for a ZT camp knife of the same material.

How many people on the street would you have to ask before finding someone who knows what M390 is? Like so many interesting hobbies, very specialized and lost on most folks.

M390, 204P, 20CV. Sharpen somewhat easy and hold an edge VERY well. And are stainless to boot.

Maxamet is still too new to me. I've used my manix2, but not really. And have not sharpened it yet either.

Back