1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

A Single Lifetime Steel. Whats Yours?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by wheelgunrambo, Apr 2, 2018.

1. roosterscrow

roosterscrow

Oct 20, 2012
    my favorites that I have pocket time with are hap 40 and m4. It's hard to pick a favorite between the two.

Mr.SATism and wheelgunrambo like this.
  2. Cryptyc

Cryptyc Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Well I only used fixed blades right now and my favorites are m390 and lam 3g

3. The_Iron_Joe

The_Iron_Joe Knifemaker, Jeweller

May 3, 2012
    Oh man. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but for me...

D2. Or M4. I'd have a hard time choosing between those two.

Pomsbz, matt009au and wheelgunrambo like this.
  4. Tommy-Chi

Tommy-Chi

May 25, 2017
    3V, M390, CPM 20CV, CTS XHP

5. ShannonSteelLabs

ShannonSteelLabs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 9, 2015
    I have one too love it use it ad my EDC. I resharpened it on a 600 grit DMT diafold( fine) then took it through all my compounds from bastardbeads and strops. (Black, white, green, red) then used his 1 micron and 0.5 micron diamond emulsion. Stuff gets insanely sharp and holds up great!! Seems to hold that edge for a long tine too. You will love the steel. I wipe it down with EDCi once a week, no rust.

For my 2 steels u would say 3V for Fixed blades , and maybe Zfinit or vanax for folders.

hugofeynman and ATJ999 like this.
  6. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    For both, AEB-L with proper heat treat at 62-63RC. Easy.

pmeisel and HST like this.
  7. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    M4 for folders. 1095 for fixed.

8. chumaman

chumaman

Nov 13, 2012
    Only fixed...Elmax & M390..I'm still indecisive o_O

G. Scott H., ATJ999 and HST like this.
  9. BTGuy

BTGuy Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 5, 2016
    This feels like a tougher question than those "only one knife forever" threads. My favorite steel depends on the type of knife, which depends on the task. I don't think I'd ever want just one folder/fixed blade pair. :p

Based on the steels I've used and of which I've used most often, probably Elmax for folder and Sleipner for fixed.

10. matt009au

matt009au

Apr 23, 2009
    Took the words outta my mouth mate.

11. wheelgunrambo

wheelgunrambo Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2016
    From what I
    I also think m4 would be a great single steel.

12. ares1488

ares1488

Dec 11, 2013
    14C28N

Adan, Saccara, ATJ999 and 3 others like this.
  13. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    This guy stole my choices. M390 is such a great steel for smaller fixed blades and folding knives.

3v is amazing for larger blades.

G. Scott H. and ATJ999 like this.
  14. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Right now, probably M390 on folders. I don't really have a favorite with fixed blades yet. I suspect it will be 3V, but I do like D2 and CPM154 a lot in a regular use fixed blade.

15. ridnovir

ridnovir Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2012
    ditto

16. wheelgunrambo

wheelgunrambo Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Not that it is a contest but m390 and 3V are getting a lot of play. I have seen these steels over and over in the industry for top blades in their class. M390 is showing up on tons of midtechs and 3V on most bushcraft knife options in the higher end. I say bushcraft because this seems to be the part of the industry where a mix of toughness and edge holding are both desired.

G. Scott H. likes this.
  17. Eagle Scout

Eagle Scout

Mar 10, 2010
    M390 / 20CV for me as well. That's my "ideal" steel if available in a knife that interests me. My Bradford G4 in M390 has been tough as nails and the stainless properties are perfect for an outdoor tool.

Very happy to see ZT using more 20CV in their offerings. Would put money down for a ZT camp knife of the same material.

How many people on the street would you have to ask before finding someone who knows what M390 is? Like so many interesting hobbies, very specialized and lost on most folks.

G. Scott H. likes this.
  18. blame it on god

blame it on god Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2013
    M390, 204P, 20CV. Sharpen somewhat easy and hold an edge VERY well. And are stainless to boot.

Maxamet is still too new to me. I've used my manix2, but not really. And have not sharpened it yet either.

ShannonSteelLabs likes this.
  19. clearytja

clearytja

Oct 17, 2002
    M2.... For both..... I love patina.
    TC

20. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Folder: Maxamet
    Fixed: 3V

ShannonSteelLabs and Tommy-Chi like this.