1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

A Single Lifetime Steel. Whats Yours?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by wheelgunrambo, Apr 2, 2018.

1. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Folder: M4 or s35vn
    Fixed: 1095 Crovan or D3V

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  2. RBid

RBid

Apr 6, 2014
    Folder: CPM S35VN or Elmax.

The ease of getting a ‘wet’ looking edge on S35VN and it’s corrosion resistance are very attractive to me. On the other hand, I’ve been carrying and using Elmax more than anything else for the past 4 years (ZT 0562, ZT 0566, Lionsteel Ti-Spine), have had 0 corrosion appear on any pieces, and find the edge retention to be great on all 3 of the knives I use it on. Ease of sharpening and touch up... Elmax was a little bit of a process to touch up on the Sharpmaker, but it’s a cakewalk with an Edge Pro + strop.

I think the real answer is that I want to say S35VN, but the real answer is Elmax.

Fixed: I use folders for everything.

3. tltt

tltt

May 1, 2008
    440c or 5160.

I'm easy to please :).

wheelgunrambo likes this.
  4. Sigsog226

Sigsog226 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2013
    That's a really hard question. I think:
    Fixed cts-xhp
    Folder m390

T.L.E. Sharp and Mr.SATism like this.
  5. MeritedEdge

MeritedEdge

Jan 3, 2018
    S30V for folder.

Plain ole 1095 for the fixed blade.

6. tantrik77

tantrik77

Apr 25, 2013
    This is easy for me. If I had to choose one steel for folders and fixed blades for the rest of my life, it would be Elmax. It does everything well. It is ridiculously tough for a stainless, has good corrosion resistance, is fairly easy to sharpen, and at higher hardness (60+) it takes and holds a great edge. My last 7 or 8 customs have all been in Elmax.

M390 is another contender but is not as tough, and 3V is amazing but obviously does not have the same level of corrosion resistance. Having said that, D3V is pretty magical though for fixed blades.

7. The Mastiff

The Mastiff

Apr 21, 2006
    I could go with several for all my uses.
    CPM Cruwear
    3V
    4V
    M4 hc
    O1
    W2
    A2

All of these can make great folders and fixed blades. If I had to choose 1 it would be CPM Cruwear at rc 62

8. wheelgunrambo

wheelgunrambo Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2016
    How does the PM2 stand up to your other M4s I have had a lot of interest in the steel but never owned one.

9. Vicarious Reality

Vicarious Reality

Apr 9, 2008
    Foldy: Good ol' powder 154, maybe in a nice vinland damasteel shape

Not so foldy: Good ol' M4 at a relaxed hardness, preferrably dressed in some nice cyan cerakote

Sword: ELI °5 Ti why not

10. hugofeynman

hugofeynman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2011
    A8mod - fixed
    AEB-L - folder

11. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Not sure the HRC on the pm2 but that fixed blade is 64. I don't use them the same amount but I'd say I do have to touch up the Spyderco up a bit more frequently.

Compared to other PM2's that I've carried and used extensively over the years (m390, 20cv, xhp) I've found the m4 less prone to micro-chipping. Not to say the others performed poorly but the m4 has fared better.

12. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Pesky double post.

13. me2

me2

Oct 11, 2003
    AEB-L/13C26 for both.

hugofeynman likes this.
  14. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    I’m extremely satisfied with m4 for folders. I would prefer it clad in stainless but the bare steel is the bomb regardless.

For fixed blades, meh. Something above 1095 or 12c27. I kinda like the super edge holding in a folder paired with a strong and easy to sharpen fixed. Best of both worlds.

15. Mr.SATism

Mr.SATism

Jul 31, 2017
    That is why I put down XHP for resharpenability, I just started my M390 reprofiling journey, and I am sweating bullets because I didn't reprofile enough the first time...

16. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I just got my first knife in CPM Cru-Wear. I have high hopes for it.

Mr.SATism likes this.
  17. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Assuming I could get everything from filet knives to SAK's to paring knives to choppers I'd go with the lowly VG-10 (or its equally attractive American cousin, CPM154).

Mr.SATism likes this.
  18. onsetoutdoors

onsetoutdoors

Feb 8, 2016
    S30V folder and 1095 fixed. Still like to have a variety of different steels and Lord knows I do, but honestly these are the steels I use the most and probably always will. Will say I use H1 alot for half the year and and looking forward to trying an LC200N blade.

Mr.SATism likes this.
  19. Mr.SATism

Mr.SATism

Jul 31, 2017
    I'm very curious if S30V/35VN have very attractive cousins as well...

20. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    I like O1.