1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

A Single Lifetime Steel. Whats Yours?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by wheelgunrambo, Apr 2, 2018.

1. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    This. My favorite extreme budget steel. Reasonably priced, super easy to sharpen,

Sandvik's 14C28n is a very nice budget steel that can get an amazingly fine edge. I have also heard that you can push its heat treatment up to about 61 without any real problems.

pmeisel, Mr.SATism and ATJ999 like this.
  2. mugwump867

mugwump867 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2004
    Folder: M390 hands down. It's a steel I know the ins and outs of, fits my needs, and I can touch it up easily (re-profiling is a different story)
    Fixed: My heavy users tend to be in tool steels like O1 or D2 as I'm familiar with them. But I know there are better options out there and I'm still looking.

Mr.SATism likes this.
  3. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Steel snob here. I don't used fixed enough to comment on knives over a few inches; for my ~3inch to 4 inch I like 3V. For folders in order I like : M4, CTS-XHP and M390. The last two are so close I could revers the order. For what I do M4 is significantly preferable; holds it's very sharp edge longer and as someone here said "It wants to be sharp" when sharpening it.

Mr.SATism and wheelgunrambo like this.
  4. jbarsquat

jbarsquat Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Folders M4
    Fixed Infi
    Kitchen Aogami Super

5. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    I would be happy with S35VN for either. But since I’m given a choice for both I would choose S35VN for the folder and CPM-3V for the fixed blade.

6. jbarsquat

jbarsquat Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2017
    What a snob!

7. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Elmax is a strong choice for folder

Good old w2 works well

Mr.SATism likes this.
  8. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    This exactly! Cpm 3V for fixed blades and Elmax for folders. would be tempted by CPM 20CV/M390 for folders, but I have really been impressed by Elmax lately!! I bet Vanax would be up there for a folder, but have not used it yet.

jstn and G. Scott H. like this.
  9. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    A single choice; Cruwear.

wheelgunrambo and CoryMc like this.
  10. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    M2

11. Carllewis12

Carllewis12

Mar 29, 2018
    M390 and 3V. But I also love CPM 154

G. Scott H. likes this.
  12. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    483DAF30-8F25-41E4-BB24-0DDCC5FC82B4.jpeg 6D8888DF-B5AE-4585-A55A-045C3D1A4A29.jpeg Until CPM S-150-V comes to market, I would choose CPM S-125-V for the folder. For a fixed blade, I like Mission’s version of. Beta-Titanium.

Mr.SATism likes this.
  13. oldtymer

oldtymer Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Life is complicated enough without trying to remember all those fancy letter & number combinations:p
    I'll take VG-10 for folders & 1095 for fixed blades, easy to maintain & tough enough for my uses.

Rupestris likes this.
  14. wheelgunrambo

wheelgunrambo Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Serious snob. I can see the pinky raised while he typed that.

15. wheelgunrambo

wheelgunrambo Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2016
    I think as time goes on we are going to see a lot more Cru-Wear

ATJ999 and ScooterG like this.
  16. Carllewis12

Carllewis12

Mar 29, 2018
    I hope so. I have heard great things.

ScooterG likes this.
  17. Mr.SATism

Mr.SATism

Jul 31, 2017
    +1 for XHP, loving my recon 1s in it, they hold their edge AND can withstand tough abuse. I took my full size recon 1 through branches, soil bags, and killed off some roots like it was a sharp shovel. After a summer full of garden work with my mom, it still cuts like new. Don't get me wrong, I can still tell where I abused it, but the fact that it is still a slicer stands to its longevity in my life. When it comes out in a Para 3, I will probably have a long and thought out internal debate on whether or not I truly hate the color orange :p

18. skyhorse

skyhorse

Jan 30, 2010
    154cm with Bos heat treat, best of all worlds.
    [​IMG]

19. Case C.

Case C. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Handmade custom Damascus of course!!!

20. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    That's the one I was looking for.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Mr.SATism likes this.