1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

A Single Lifetime Steel. Whats Yours?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by wheelgunrambo, Apr 2, 2018.

1. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp That's right, it's genuine Velveeta... Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    ZDP-189 for folders and maybe CTS-XHP for fixed blades. I'm not big on fixed blades though, so really any halfway decent steel would be fine.

2. Stolenives

Stolenives

Jul 12, 2017
    Folding- S 30V
    I know everyone is bored with s30v but since I’ve had a chance to try many different manufacturers 30v, it’s so consistent, very forgiving, easy to sharpen, not picky when you used different abrasives; and in fact now that I’ve played around with my sharpening process with it, I can get it to preform to where I can carry it for weeks and through daily use just strop it for 30 seconds and it’s right back to hair whittling.
    Fixed - UHB-20C
    That’s the carbon steel mora uses in their companions and I can field sharpen that stuff on a river stone (and I have)
    I once carved an owl out of some oak 5” tall, 1.5” wide when finished...took me 2 days or about 6 hours of whittling. I twisted out of cuts, hit knots, did a lot of detailed cutting; and I was on a hunting trip with no sharpening equipment. That knife just kept on going. 6 hours of use straight, and all said and done I could have dressed a deer with the thing. Cheap steels but that’s why I pick them.