A Single Lifetime Steel. Whats Yours?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by wheelgunrambo, Apr 2, 2018.

1. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Oatmeal Pecan is better than Chocolate-chip. Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    ZDP-189 for folders and maybe CTS-XHP for fixed blades. I'm not big on fixed blades though, so really any halfway decent steel would be fine.

2. Stolenives

Stolenives

Jul 12, 2017
    Folding- S 30V
    I know everyone is bored with s30v but since I’ve had a chance to try many different manufacturers 30v, it’s so consistent, very forgiving, easy to sharpen, not picky when you used different abrasives; and in fact now that I’ve played around with my sharpening process with it, I can get it to preform to where I can carry it for weeks and through daily use just strop it for 30 seconds and it’s right back to hair whittling.
    Fixed - UHB-20C
    That’s the carbon steel mora uses in their companions and I can field sharpen that stuff on a river stone (and I have)
    I once carved an owl out of some oak 5” tall, 1.5” wide when finished...took me 2 days or about 6 hours of whittling. I twisted out of cuts, hit knots, did a lot of detailed cutting; and I was on a hunting trip with no sharpening equipment. That knife just kept on going. 6 hours of use straight, and all said and done I could have dressed a deer with the thing. Cheap steels but that’s why I pick them.