Photos A Walk in Nature

Wow. Great pictures everyone.
Wow! Stunning pics gents :cool: The outdoors is my favourite place to be ;) :thumbsup:

2018 Guardians Lambsfoot near Heptonstall in West Yorkshire.

xbxztV4.jpg

Boker Copperhead overlooking the Burbage Valley close to the South Yorkshire/Derbyshire border.

0hD1LW9.jpg

Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot at Newmillerdam in West Yorkshire.

ibrv4RW.jpg

TC Ancient Barlow overlooking the Leeds-Liverpool canal north of Skipton in North Yorkshire.

1QkzoCB.jpg

Woodcraft Knife overlooking the River Colne near Marsden, West Yorkshire.

zFMw5MY.jpg

Hartshead Barlow at Paul's Pond, Breary Marsh near Bramhope, West Yorkshire.

9TBu88k.jpg

Earl Barlow, overlooking the River Wharfe at Tadcaster in North Yorkshire.

QVfaKg5.jpg

Carl Schlieper Scout at the Crimple Viaduct near Pannal, North Yorkshire.

jUBwdtD.jpg

A. Wright Lambsfoot at a Neolithic stone circle on Froggatt Edge in Derbyshire.

7eLAHe7.jpg
Jack, the scenery is nice, but the horn on that last lambfoot is really fantastic.

I’m fortunate to be able to spend most of my days outside for work. Here are a couple shots from today.

There are acres of purple vetch blooming in the pasture right now. (The pictures don’t do it justice)
zqAp120.jpg

IgbTgCi.jpg

There were turkeys running around with the cows this morning also.
KvmplLl.jpg

All excellent photos again, Jack. :thumbsup: I liked these from Whitby, in particular. I’ve never been a tropical beach person, but in my (admittedly limited) experience, I’ve found England’s coastal areas to be much more my speed. 🙂
Thanks Barrett, I wish Whitby was the slightly sleepy town it was when I first visited, but I think you would like it still Barrett :) :thumbsup:
Well folks, Chippy has been raring to get into this thread as well … what can I do ? … he is just so cute :D 🐿️

oAXQag0.jpg

2aA000N.jpg

xTB9tE3.jpg

zCxfbO0.jpg

QGfItUq.jpg

It's great to see Chippy Dan :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Well CelloDan CelloDan I have to thank you. Your thread inspired me to a do a little bit of outdoor exploring that I might not have done otherwise, just so I could share more here. 😁

Yesterday I had to drive down to Mankato, MN — a little over an hour from where I live — to get my second vaccine dose. (When I signed up a month ago, I couldn’t get an appointment anywhere closer.)

After I got my shot and waited the requisite 15 minutes to make sure I didn’t keel over, I drove over to Minneopa Falls, which are located in Minneopa State Park, less than 10 minutes from downtown Mankato.

UTJuDZi.jpg

Here are the smaller upper falls. There’s a bridge that crosses the creek between the upper and lower falls.

oNSjYdY.jpg

Looking over the crest of the lower falls from the bridge.

j3ETYUy.jpg

The upper falls are around 8 feet high, while the lower falls (seen here) are 39 feet high.

abwq9df.jpg

A short distance downstream, there’s a stone stairway that takes you down to the creek below the falls.

4aXfPjd.jpg

ReDFPJx.jpg

4phCf7T.jpg

At the bottom, there’s another bridge that crosses the creek. You can then take a trail along the south bank of the creek back to the base of the falls. Parts of the trail are a bit rugged, but it’s easy enough, and fairly short (maybe 500 feet or so from the bridge back to the falls).

AIlswHL.jpg

amAmmh9.jpg

The walls of the gorge are made of Jordan sandstone, which is apparently quite soft. There are hundreds of names and initials carved into the stone, some quite deeply.

ragogeo.jpg

The lower falls from below.

6cu2Wum.jpg

vFgiB0q.jpg

Don’t worry, I didn’t forget to get a knife photo. 😉

aO41rOr.jpg

As I was walking back to the bridge, I heard something rustling off to the side of the trail. I couldn't resist snapping a photo of this guy for CelloDan CelloDan . (Sorry for the poor photo quality, he wasn’t close, and the zoom capabilities of a smart phone are fairly limited.)

ZZCSZS0.jpg

Can you spot him? 🔍

szDTyjp.jpg

Oh, and I spotted this near the parking area as I was leaving. I don’t think I’ve ever actually seem an outhouse with a crescent moon on the door outside of cartoons. 😁

zn3KAAy.jpg

There are some WPA-era structures in the park, but I don’t think this is one of them. 😉

Wow. Great pictures everyone.

Jack, the scenery is nice, but the horn on that last lambfoot is really fantastic.
Thank you very much, here's another horn-covered Lambsfoot, a 2017 Guardians SFO, overlooking the River Wharfe at Ilkley in West Yorkshire :) :thumbsup:

T5w0bkh.jpg

RXBskpP.jpg

Well CelloDan CelloDan I have to thank you. Your thread inspired me to a do a little bit of outdoor exploring that I might not have done otherwise, just so I could share more here. 😁

Yesterday I had to drive down to Mankato, MN — a little over an hour from where I live — to get my second vaccine dose. (When I signed up a month ago, I couldn’t get an appointment anywhere closer.)

After I got my shot and waited the requisite 15 minutes to make sure I didn’t keel over, I drove over to Minneopa Falls, which are located in Minneopa State Park, less than 10 minutes from downtown Mankato.

UTJuDZi.jpg

vFgiB0q.jpg

Don’t worry, I didn’t forget to get a knife photo. 😉

aO41rOr.jpg

As I was walking back to the bridge, I heard something rustling off to the side of the trail. I couldn't resist snapping a photo of this guy for CelloDan CelloDan . (Sorry for the poor photo quality, he wasn’t close, and the zoom capabilities of a smart phone are fairly limited.)

ZZCSZS0.jpg

Can you spot him? 🔍

szDTyjp.jpg

Oh, and I spotted this near the parking area as I was leaving. I don’t think I’ve ever actually seem an outhouse with a crescent moon on the door outside of cartoons. 😁

zn3KAAy.jpg

There are some WPA-era structures in the park, but I don’t think this is one of them. 😉

Fantastic photo-set Barrett :cool: :) :thumbsup:

CelloDan CelloDan
What a sight Dan!!!
thanks for that great clip and pics to boot!!

Thank you Gus, meeting Chippy that day so close was a bit of that "trail magic" that happens once in a while that is so rewarding.

CelloDan, wonderful thread with a great variety of absolutely beautiful outdoor pictures shown!!!
Here is one from a couple years back that features a Camillus and a Monarch butterfly who patiently posed while I snuck in the knife.

Gracias Neal :)
Great pic ! :thumbsup: 🦋

Fishing at the bass pond (old pictures)

Great pics my friend !
I would love to have a job outside !
Nice blue gill, last year I got back into fishing a little bit while camping and we ate quite a few of them .

Thanks Barrett, I wish Whitby was the slightly sleepy town it was when I first visited, but I think you would like it still Barrett :) :thumbsup:

It's great to see Chippy Dan :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Chippy says "Hi" :)
Great pics of knives and your stomping grounds my friend :thumbsup:

Can you spot him? 🔍

szDTyjp.jpg

So happy to have inspired it Barret :)
Great pics my friend :thumbsup: and a perfect choice of knife for the day !

I spotted him :thumbsup: :D ( zoom feature on the new forum software helps ), I was looking at much lower altitudes :D
( hint : up there, between one and two o'clock lol )

"Ruby", the Red squirrel momma .

BcW3FAo.jpg

uPKB8Be.jpg

DPfUqjh.jpg

My wife and kids and I really enjoy hiking and camping. I generally only take knife pictures when I’m by myself at work or around the house, but I managed to take a couple on a hike to Fallen Leaf lake with the family this winter.
JJ3aABi.jpg

6MLRT3t.jpg

And if we’re doing outhouses, we took the kids on their first backpacking trip last fall to Island Lake and found this by the trailhead:
Jr0C3KW.jpg

Island Lake:
6dwincP.jpg

Fantastic photo-set Barrett :cool: :) :thumbsup:

So happy to have inspired it Barret :)
Great pics my friend :thumbsup: and a perfect choice of knife for the day !

Gorgeous! 🤠 :thumbsup:

Thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

I spotted him :thumbsup: :D ( zoom feature on the new forum software helps ), I was looking at much lower altitudes :D
( hint : up there, between one and two o'clock lol )

The animals don’t trust me like they do you, Dan. 😉 When I first heard him he was down on the ground. In the first photo, he had gone just a short way up that tree, but the longer I stood there, the higher he went. 😁

Wow, really amazing pictures...even the outhouses 😱:poop:

New thread idea? 😉 😁

Traditional knives and traditional “facilities”

Jack Black Jack Black
Beautiful and looks like the Terrapin wants that one :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you, the Aitor Castor knives are great users :) Supposedly, lots of terrapins ended up in the canals and rivers here after the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles craze declined. I'd always thought it was a myth, but that one looked to have thrived. Since, a terrapin that size is worth £200-£300 here, I think it must have been in the water a while. It didn't seem at all perturbed by our presence :thumbsup:

Gorgeous! 🤠 :thumbsup:

That's pretty cool. 🤠:thumbsup:
It’s the Grouse Ridge trail head. There’s an old fire look out up there and I guess that was their outhouse.
Nice catch! Is that a Tenkara rod?

Not quite as stunning as most of the photos in this thread, but snapped this photo when I was taking some stuff to the compost pile this morning. 😄
View attachment 1558404
Thanks. Yes, it is a Tenkara rod. It packs down small and is quick to set up so it’s handy for camping or to have in the truck if I have a little bit of free time. Do you ever use one? It’s fun, I use it for small bass, bluegill, and trout.

Is that a box turtle? I see water turtles from time to time, but I’ve never come across a box turtle in the wild. I do have a pet box turtle that I got in 8th grade, 30 years ago.

Back