Photos A Walk in Nature

French ration packs review and menu info.

I dont think I am allowed to give a link to the flasks,they are sold out in a lot of places.

Just google.

Great photo! The fish don't seem to mind the ice. Looks like a fingerling is eying your knife from under the ice at the top center of the picture.
An optical illusion I am afraid - this is a 15 foot x 3 foot section of trail that has had 2"or 3" of water in it all through the fall. Has been a rainy autumn. No fish or amphibians in there - at least, not yet. ;)

I have split this walk up as I think the trees deserve to have a section to themselves untainted by anything else.
I haven't been here for a few years,I always take the low out of site trail to the hill,I have never seen anyone else on it.

There was grouse shooting or something to my left which scared of a deer,I saw squirrels the size of cats but they where so quick I didnt get a shot.
I was using my travel camera on this trip with a 70-200mm lens as I wanted to capture the Red Kites if I could,so things are a different perspective though I used my phone a few times.
With all the leaves I was making a lot of noise so decided to try walking stealthy by lifting me feet up and down carefully, it worked but was harder going.

Something about these trees gets to me its like something out of a Disney movie,you almost expect them to uproot and start walking.
I reckon it would be scary at night.
It was a lovely walk and quiet once the shooting stopped after 10 minutes.

When I got back onto the main trail I was chuffed to see my favourite tree was still there.
The long limb that was like a sprung comfortable seat had sadly been cut down though.
But I still had a place to sit.

The new sit mat is perfect it wrapped around the branch keeping me a bit warmer and cleaner.
I have a new rucksack,its excellent and not to tactical looking I hope.
Very comfortable and a bit more organised.
I swopped out the zip pulls for red ones which are easier to see,the pilots hip flasks fit in the side pockets perfect and balance out the load.

I had forgotten my SAK with saw so I used my Remi to clear some overhanging vegetation over the branch where I placed my MSR stove these are just unbelievably efficent/good (mine is the old model).

So I heated up some water and tried this porridge with golden syrup.
What can I say it was absolutely delicious and not to sweet,I started to feel warmer from the first spoonful.
If you try it get this larger pot as it was just the right amount,the small one doesn't look quite enough.

I Boiled some more water and then had a coffee and biscuits.
A lady walking her dog stopped to chat and told me I blended in to the countryside,stealthy job done then I guess.

Then the difficult and slow bit for me climbing the hill,as soon as you leave the trees its starts to get windier and colder.
I shorten my Leki lean into the hill and take short slow steps.
Its worth it for the views and I know I will see the Red Kites,the first time I went I thought it was a farmer whistling but it was the birds.

I fitted my secondary compass to my watch,its amazing how many times what I thought was north was south,always trust your compass.

I didn’t go anywhere exciting today, just took a short walk to another local reservoir and back - about seven miles I think based on the time it took. There wasn’t a whole lot to see along the way, but I did think this view was worth a picture:

This was in my pocket, same as pretty much every day:

found an opportunity to take a little woods walk after a recent snow melt
PI98Hl6.jpg

most trails were uphill... both coming and going
y8N8xvM.jpg

time to get the obligatory knife pic
jcMeixS.jpg

before it gets to dark
GMzK6YO.jpg

and there's more snow on it's way
TydtXni.jpg

...too be continued, Lord willing

Inspired by reading some more of Nessmuk I left the warmth/comfort of my house.

Out into my cold,wet and windy garden/sanctuary I went instead,sitting on a wet bench on my sit mat.

I was Just trying out a few things for my next proper walk.

I have learnt some knots recently (and forgotten even more) the lash is something simple and secure why I haven't learnt it before I dont know.
With cord secured to my lighter I can suspend it from the key ring in my pack and find it easier when out and about.

The soup is first class as is the 2 in 1 coffee sachets I tried today,I didnt opt for 3 in 1 in case they where to sweet.

They both taste better with wind and rain lashing your face,sadll no owls or foxes for company (see Nessmuk).

Apparently the reason this MSR stove is so good in wind is the 3 segments, 1 or 2 can blow out and the 3rd will carry on until they reignite.
I can vouch for that after today.

I love looking for a reason to take my Trapper outside, it takes a good picture against the leaves I transplanted from the woods.

Reminds me of how my dad used to describe his walk to school each day in a foot of snow! 🤣
Thanks for the nice pictures and the memory James. 😊👍
Your welcome Todd. :) Now you've stirred a memory in me. :thumbsup:
My mom regaled my brothers and I with tales of walking barefoot 4 miles one way to school each day, stating she didn't want to wear out her shoes. When asked what she did in the winter she said, "I'd hop from cow patty to cow patty to keep my feet warm." To which the three of us youngins loudly replied in near perfect harmony, "YUUUCCK"!!! :)

a pocket knife from that era and a compass to help this thread stay on course ;)
hpUfE2b.jpg

edit to include knife content

Last edited:
Your welcome Todd. :) Now you've stirred a memory in me. :thumbsup:
My mom regaled my brothers and I with tales of walking barefoot 4 miles one way to school each day, stating she didn't want to wear out her shoes. When asked what she did in the winter she said, "I'd hop from cow patty to cow patty to keep my feet warm." To which the three of us youngins loudly replied in near perfect harmony, "YUUUCCK"!!! :)
So funny, way better than mine James, no contest! 🤣🤣🤣

I went over to Aston Rowant nature reserve today with Billy Barlow.

It was cold with an even colder wind.
It didnt go to plan,The benches in the wood I normally sit at (I think for woodland talks) had been removed (some where broken but a few where OK and I need a seat).
So I stumbled around in thick undergrowth thinking I had gotten lost for quite a while looking for them.
No problem I will go and use one of the deadfall logs further along the trail I use,they had all gone as well,by then my legs where giving way.
I found out that they had been cleaning up the area recently,but why remove unobtrusive fallen logs that have been there years and in no ones way?

So I carried on and found a small shell scrape I could sit on,but it was in the valley and the wind was like a wind tunnel.
By then it was late I was cold and had had no food or drink.
I only managed to get the MRE luke warm (the wind blew out the flame),but boy did it taste good even though out of date.
A few swigs of ice cold water and a biscuit,then back to my car which involved going up a scraggy hill open to even more wind and thick brush which kept catching on my walking stick.

I have fallen asleep twice since I have gotten back,it took it out of me.

But strangely enough I enjoyed it I like a challenge,its just that I forget I am not a young racing snake (like I was in the Army decades ago anymore).

Things that worked.
A proper MSR pot stand of ebay it arrived yesterday,very stable.
Wildo water bottles,the shape fits well in side pockets,I got light blue so as not to be a tactifool (cheap and good quality).
The snugpak rucksack it feels heavy when you lift it up,when you have it on the wight seems to disappear,easy to organise your stuff.
Cashmere thin jumper,a vast improvement in warmth over the merino wool I had,it even feels warm when I take it off and its not bulky.

The toggle rucksack support I learnt the other day,the valley was full of sheep and other animals droppings.
it was quick and easy to lash up and made getting stuff out the pack easy.

Back