A. Wright & Son questions

Tyson A Wright

Basic Member
Two questions about A. Wright & Son knives:
1. What is their quality level? (How do they compare to Case, GEC, CK/Lionsteel, Buck, other companies)?
2. Are they only available from UK distributors? (I couldn't find them on Google anywhere in the US.)

Thanks!

-Tyson

1. What is their quality level? (How do they compare to Case, GEC, CK/Lionsteel, Buck, other companies)?
2. Are they only available from UK distributors? (I couldn't find them on Google anywhere in the US.)

Thanks!

-Tyson
I am not allowed to name the seller, but there is a well know seller in America that has some A. Wright knives. PM me and i can let you know.:thumbsup:
My mistake sorry, they sell Joseph Rodgers, not A. Wright.

Last edited:

Thanks!

-Tyson

Charming knives with very hit and miss fit and finish (more misses than hits in my experience sadly). I wouldn’t put the quality of their standard offerings on the same level as Buck or Case, and certainly no where near the level of GEC or Lionsteel. I’d say they are closer to the fit and finish of Opinel, MAM, and other offerings in the $20 range. They’re still really cool knives with cool history.

I’ve purchased all of mine from dealers in the UK with no issues (although it does cause the price to be a bit on the higher side for what you get).

I’m sure others with more experience will chime in with some better info. :)

I bought one a couple years ago, hard gritty action until something snapped and action got better but spring now sits proud closed, also came butter knife dull. Based on my experience with that one I have not bought another.

That's real disappointing Augie!
I think that the later ones did slip down in quality as the Sheffield Mighty Pride went down with it, I stand by the fact that if you get the Older ones- that's the true Sheffield Knife!

I have a couple of them that I bought in the past year or so, and they have been nicely assembled and finished. They are fully functional as a good "working knife". Both of mine are the lambsfoot blade, one is a sort of swayback, and the other is a "normal" handle.
Common to both of them is a stiff, slightly rough opening action. Not a nail breaker, but definitely robust. I imagine with oiling and lots of use, they would smooth up quite a bit.
I like them... and have carried them.
I would call them the British version of the Case Sodbuster... at a slightly lower fit/finish quality level.

I bought one of the curved handle lambfoot knives about 18 months ago. Also got mine from a UK dealer. I agree with most of the comments above. Strong, gritty pull. Fit and finish well below Case and Buck, and further below GEC. The liners on mine appear to have been machined on a paper shredder; but on the positive side, I'm able to pull my car in the gaps when the weather gets bad.

Now, all that being said...
1) I was pre-warned about the level of quality, so I was not too surprised
2) it did not break the bank to get it
3) I didn't have to sit at my computer 24x7 for a week waiting for the drop, and hoping I didn't have to go to the bathroom just at the wrong time
4) it is a working knife that I'm not afraid to use

That's real disappointing Augie!
I think that the later ones did slip down in quality as the Sheffield Mighty Pride went down with it, I stand by the fact that if you get the Older ones- that's the true Sheffield Knife!

Duncan, the one you gave Donna is a very nice knife, she really likes it. If I bought another I would have to have it in hand before buying.

it is a working knife that I'm not afraid to use
This is their greatest quality, they are a true work knife.
There isn't a day that goes by that doesn't see me with a Wright's Lambsfoot in my pocket.
If you are looking for nice Fit n Finish or something to show off to friends, then look elsewhere.
But if you are looking for a stout work knife with a useful blade shape, look no further than a Wright's Lambsfoot.
Putting them in the Opinel and Mam category is also wrong I think, they are a much more robust knife than those two.

Hi there, I’m in the UK and received my stag and brass pocket knife a couple of weeks ago. Straight out of the packaging it was damaged, something had bit into the bolster and left quite a snag, I’ve polished it out but it really shouldn’t have left the shop like that. But I bought it for a user so I’m not too bothered. Put me off getting another one though, I think the gent earlier Sum’d it up best by saying they’re very hit and miss.

I bought one off the exchange several months ago of the swayback variety, it definitely had some finish issues that I resolved without much headache. There is still a pretty big gap in the backspring/liner but I became pretty endeared to it none the less. Checking out @Jack Black's guardians thread would be the best place to find out what to expect... But read up on the rules and whatnot before you post. Lots of great information there, and some pretty cool knives too. :cool::thumbsup:

Having worked on a few of these, I do agree with most of what has been mentioned. It seems like with a bit more fit/finish work, the questionable ones would have been quite nice. Almost seems like they are built specifically for the working person, and not as a collectible.

There is something special about the A Wright knives, good bad or indifferent! I have a varying group of their knives, some are better than others in the fit and finish dept, some definitely stand out from the crowd. I enjoy them warts and all. Something different owning a knife from Sheffield from one of the only companies that have not been sold out to the conglomerations along the way.

Russell

I have three and I have to echo what has been said above. Good working knives, priced low enough that you don't feel like you shouldn't use them.
The two wood handled knives I sanded a bit and the big lambsfoot I filed just a bit of the kick to get the blade to sit lower.
Because they aren't high priced and are unlikely to go up in value like many GECs do, I'm ok with modding them a little like that.

It would be nice if they were a bit smoother in their action, when new, but they do break in a bit with use. (though even now the two wood handled knives are a bit gritty opening)
All three are pretty stout when opening, the clip point barlow especially so.

The Hartshead Barlow is definitely the best of the three. It opens smoothly and it's a tank of a slipjoint. It's quality level is near GEC levels, I'd say.
The other two are below GEC quality level. I'd say they are similar to Case in quality level, but have a more handmade quality to them, which I like.

As for where they are available, I don't really know. I got two of mine from sellers here and one from ebay.

Back