Agendas and such

Yep. Didn't your mom's ever teach you how to deal with bullies? Name calling usually only makes the name caller look stupid. If on one hand you say "to me, a knife is a knife" and then start calling the Busse fans "clannish" you're just all sorts of contradicting yourself. Obviously a knife isn't just a knife because if it was, you wouldn't care enough about the other owners to know if they're "clannish" or not.

I don't own a Busse. It's simply because I don't see spending $300+ on a single knife. But here's the secret. I also don't own a strider, sebenza, etc...

Let him do his bashing if it makes him happy. Don't VALIDATE his point by acting clannish and bashing him back.

Cheers!

With the way this thread started off, I was curious enough to read some of it. It is NOT my intent to pick a fight with any of the Busse Brigade, or with Cobalt himself. I'd never pick on anyone with such a gorgeous avatar as Cobalt has! :D

But I read what Leopardprey posted in the thread linked above, then I went back and I read it again, even more slowly. Sorry, guys, but I just don't smell an "agenda" there. It seems to me like he's just stating what he's found to work well for him and others that he's been around and worked with. Maybe some other posts of his have given the idea he has an agenda, but it didn't hit me in the face from the one post I just read.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I do get a sense of a certain clannishness among those of you who collect and love Busse knives. Could it be that you're being a little too sensitive to what you perceive as criticism of your favorite blades? Hey, we all have our favorites, and that's a good thing, too. Some of us like machetes, some Moras, and some of us are Swiss Army Knife addicts. I lean toward simple, inexpensive cutlery that does the job for me without necessarily looking impressive to anyone else. I once owned some Randalls, even one-of-a-kind non-catalog items, and I thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread and free love combined. But I sold them and moved in other directions as my life and my tastes changed. I'm not trying to defend or to pick a fight with anybody here, but this all seems kind of odd to me.

I don't entirely agree. Here is one of the things he wrote, and here is how I responded:

There are a lot better knives out there to get the Job done than Busse. If you want a crow bar buy a crow bar, or get a good axe, or Khuk if you want something to chop with. Busses are great for collecting, but IMHO not the best for actual field operations.

What a load of horse dung from someone who obviously knows very little about the Busse line. More of the "crow bar" stereotypical nonsense...

Thing is, Busse makes knives from small .14" (that's just over 1/8") slicers to extremely thick .32" knives (that's about 5/16", though a few of the Busse knives are even thicker) and everything in between. I actually like the thinner blades and have been able to find plenty of them. They perform admirably in all cutting chores I've put them up against.

If you're going to spout such nonsense, you'd be better off posting in a Cold Steel forum somewhere.

It's pretty clear to me leopardprey's post above was less than objective.

At the most, it was a blatant bash. At the least, it was a set of poorly informed statements parading as the truth.

Busse makes plenty of knives that are the furthest thing from a "crow bar" you'll find in the knife world. It's when people spout these stereotypes about the knives or the users/collectors that I respond. I feel like, if I don't, the stereotypes are just going to get passed along in some of the other subforums. Admittedly, my tone above could have been a little more... uhm.. diplomatic. :D

Could it be that you're being a little too sensitive to what you perceive as criticism of your favorite blades?

it's mostly when a persons posts add up to "jerry is a liar" that I have a problem. I know that "prove to me that I'm wrong for trusting him" sounds like the whole "prove to me god exists" "prove to me that he doesn't" argument, but it isn't the same thing. many business men, including in the knife world, have been shown to actively state and push outright falsehoods about themselves and their products.

until jerry is shown to have done so, calling him a liar is out of bounds.

as far as blade criticisms, I've got plenty myself. personal criticism are different.

Serenity now!!!! :p

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can still see the scene:D

I remember, way back, when you dis-agreed with somebody went outside, beat the hell out of each other and came back in and got loaded together. Ahhh those were the days;)

Bob Mills

Touchy? No, not a bit. I didn't pick on your Mama, or what she wears, or how she makes a living. :rolleyes:

Yeah I couldn't decide if it had an agenda or not from that link, but I think reading other posts of his elsewhere that he may.

Also he goes out of his way to establish his credentials which for me is always a red flag. It's been my experience that people who need to do that usually have other motives.

Couldn't agree with you more:D

Come on guys. If we don't play nice Uncle Mike will be along to slap his un-supervised step children:eek:

Bob Mills

Disclaimer: I like some Cold Steel knives, and the above post was meant to play off the animosity that Cold Steel seems to evoke in many BF threads. The Cold Steel Master Hunter in Carbon V and the Pendleton Hunter in AUS-8 are two very nice designs IMO. YMMV. IN NO WAY WAS A COLD STEEL KNIFE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF SAID POST.

:p :p

I hate choils...:thumbdn::mad:

Looks like I'm not the only one. Although I don't exactly hate them. "Strong dislike" might be the best words to use. On small to medium knives, that is. On big choppers like the BMs, even I actually somewhat like a good choil. :thumbup:

Yo mama so fat she fell in love and broke it.

Disclaimer: I like some Cold Steel knives, and the above post was meant to play off the animosity that Cold Steel seems to evoke in many BF threads. The Cold Steel Master Hunter in Carbon V and the Pendleton Hunter in AUS-8 are two very nice designs IMO. YMMV. IN NO WAY WAS A COLD STEEL KNIFE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF SAID POST.

:p :p

Well, now, there goes your credibility!!! :p :foot:

Back