1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

almost super sharp..not quite..i need to get there

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by steeltowninwv, Feb 2, 2015.

1. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    I thought you said that the OP's knife doesn't have a problem? Except of course, for an asymmetrical grind...

2. bluntcut

bluntcut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 28, 2012
    Woah, a high energy thread!

OP - sound like you did & thought through the process well. Try swap the SM rod, if sharpness switch side ... bingo.

3. IXLR8

IXLR8

Feb 1, 2009
    So you're saying if he has the now infamous burr ........that he can in theory , push cut phone book paper?

Or do you want me to tell you why he cant.........IF he has a burr?
    Clarify

4. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007

I've cut my fair share of paper with burrs and wire edges present, so I'm not doubting that.

Im asking what cutting the paper will prove.

5. IXLR8

IXLR8

Feb 1, 2009
    What's the difference between a burr and a wire edge? Besides microns?
    I look to you for salvation.

I think you meant you Sliced your fair share of paper with burrs and wire edges. Correct me if i'm wrong.

6. IXLR8

IXLR8

Feb 1, 2009

Well?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

7. steeltowninwv

steeltowninwv

Jan 1, 2015
    ok well ive found my very first burr...im sure ive had hundreds but this is the first one ive been able to find....its on the left side...I cant seem to get to it though....I put sharpie on that side again after I found the burr...I cant seem to remove the sharpie that covers the burr........ive tried going to the right side for several strokes..then a few on the left..nothing..tried several on the left side then a couple on the right..its still there..and I cant get to it..lol

just wonder if this is a technique problem?..this has happened on several knives..just never been able to identify the burr

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  8. IXLR8

IXLR8

Feb 1, 2009
    This may be the last thing I will say to you sir.
    A wise man might one day tell you that a fail is not necessarily a fail if you were trying, and your intent was noble.
    If you're landing an airplane, approach is everything.
    The flight rules of a rotor craft are not much different. Lift is lift.

It cost me 10 bucks and two warnings to tell you this.
    I would work on my approach.

Course, I been where you are. Hot shot pilot. Two tours. Then I came home. Decided I didn't want to pull trees, or go back and forth and back and forth to oil rigs in the gulf of Mexico.
    So I started teaching people how to pilot rotor craft.The job paid 46k a year for someone with over 5000 hours time. One thing led to another and since I was in the transport business anyway, well...it worked out. Helping to protect people like you, and people like you, made me what I am today. I've probably watched a man die while you were sharpening a knife.
    Trying to get him back when I heard " we're losing him' before you try to make anything of this, pilot and co pilot.

I'm not a knife expert. I'm just a guy whose been through life and made the best of it, like most of us try to do.
    Approach is everything. Sometimes mine aint so great either.

Yeah , I know. Has nothing to do with knives. Knives mean very little to me in the grand scheme, and after this, they mean less.
    Be well, son

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  9. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    We will discuss the topic and not each other, right gentlemen?

10. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    I think the problem is that the side of the bevel that has the burr has an angle that's too steep for the sharpmaker. You can tilt your knife in such a way as to hit the edge. I posted this a couple pages ago. It's worth a try.

11. IXLR8

IXLR8

Feb 1, 2009

Let me help you with this.
    " But I didn't shave the hair the same way on my left armS and now the problem is different,and I can't seem to get to it , though. I finally used a sharpie and found the burr that I said I didn't have. I tried going to the right side then the left for several strokes it's still there and , OH ME GOD, I can't get to it. wait...........lol."

shut up.
    You can fool some of the people, some of the time, and that should be good enough.

12. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    hopefully you will be banned soon.

13. steeltowninwv

steeltowninwv

Jan 1, 2015
    so u think my left hand angle is too steep....?....just wanna make sure here I need to tilt the knife some to the right on the left hand rod?

14. steeltowninwv

steeltowninwv

Jan 1, 2015
    ixlr8.....buddy I mentioned I was a beginner.....ive never even felt a burr until last night...im sure I had them before..just wasn't able to identify them...yes u need banned...its hard for anyone to learn anything here with members like yourself putting people down..

15. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    Yes, I believe that's the case, Try for less tilt at first and check the sharpie. If you're still not hitting the sharpie, tilt a little bit more until you do.

16. Justin Presson

Justin Presson

Dec 4, 2013
    Sounds like you are getting on the right track. No need to hit the side that the burr is rolled from just the side that you can feel the burr on now...if that makes sense.

17. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    Yes, good tip.

18. Threethreethree

Threethreethree

May 30, 2013
    I wish i had a popcorn bowl while browsing that thread, it made my day to watch some angry troll getting out of the closet spouting pseudo knowledge while bragging about how they live a life so hardcore we couldnt handle it.

Dont forget to keep your sharpmaker rods clean as they are able to raise mighty burrs when clogged because they just act like a smooth steel.
    Dont pay too much attention to the slight asymetry, as long you are hitting the very edge, your knife will get sharp.
    Chisel grinds and the like can get very sharp both ways even if obviously the flat side will cut things with a lower incidence angle.

19. Trabireiter

Trabireiter

Mar 10, 2008
    you are just working the shoulder of the bevel. Either you take the time to bring the bevel down to the 20° of the sharpmaker, which could really take a while, or you tilt the knife.

Having to tilt the knife removes the advantages of the sharpmaker and introduces a margin for error.

20. Jason B.

Jun 13, 2007
    An asymmetric edge is no big deal, Japanese knives are are ground this way every day.

light pressure, clean rods, and consistent strokes (wow that sounds dirty) will get you on your way to sharp burr free edges.