• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Recommendation? Alternative to PayPal ?

Please share the name of your wondrous card and your experiences of an easy and painless arbitration process that resulted in a timely refund . :):thumbsup:

Maybe I just need the right card . That would be gloriously simple . :cool:
Both Visa and Mastercard have consumer protection.

So here's the deal; you say you're buying gun parts; these are parts that your life could hinge on.

You trust the seller with your life but not a credit card number? Feels like you have that backwards.

I'm looking for a reliable "PayPal like" service , with all the protections but without "weapons related" restrictions .

Please , no political rants . PLEASE . :cool:

That applies to the OP, also.
Just answer the question and take discussion of the government and politics to the Political Forum.

That applies to the OP, also.
Just answer the question and take discussion of the government and politics to the Political Forum.
Understood ! Rules are rules , and I'm trying to follow them as best I can . :oops:

Not sure how to ask this question in a less controversial way , so will let stand as is ...maybe get some more good answers if thread remains open . :cool:

Venmo seems to be next in line? I don't know the fine print whether there are notable weapons restrictions.

Like was mentioned, be especially careful with wording. You have to note this IN ADVANCE of a paying transaction.

I use PayPal for 80% of my business. But... no one mentions a sale, just photography services.

I also use Venmo, but for personal friend-to-friend transactions.

Both Visa and Mastercard have consumer protection.
In theory . :rolleyes:

But nothing like PayPal , unless things have drastically changed .

I've been very happy with PP for years , but want similar services without any product restrictions on my purchasing .

I don't know how to say it any more simple and clear than that . o_O
Quite a few states each year have started doing the 1099 thing though even before the Stimulus Bill. It will however now affect all the remaining states with the $600 limit
:( Nobody who pays any tax loves taxation or the paperwork , but off topic and probably "political " ...so please desist !

I've been very happy with PP for years , but want similar services without any product restrictions on my purchasing .

I don't know how to say it any more simple and clear than that . o_O

:( Nobody who pays any tax loves taxation or the paperwork , but off topic and probably "political " ...so please desist !
Was simply a factual reply to clear up a statement made earlier. No politics intended. I removed it anyway.

I don't know how to say it any more simple and clear than that .!

You could do a internet search and come up with all the options out there. The problem as I see it is that both parties often need to be using the same system. PP worked well because it was well accepted by a majority of members. I don't know of any other with as much acceptance at this time. The future may be different, but I don't have the ability to see the future :)
You can always go old school-USPS money order. It doesn't offer some of the protections, but how often have you found a need to use them. I have done many hundreds of transaction using both PP and USPS money orders, and have never made a claim against the buyer or seller. The few problems I have had could be resolved in house
For now, if I totally didn't want to use PP. I would offer USPS money orders + a couple other options(from that search) that looked promising and see what members might be willing to work with.
It is fairly early into this problem and you will just need to see how things shake out.

Last edited:
Can someone explain or show me where PayPal has banned its use for buying/selling knives? I shop for knives on ebay all the time, and PayPal is pretty much always listed as a payment option. Admittedly, my focus is mostly on vintage pocketknives, but I see lots of other types for sale: fixed hunting knives, big modern folders, etc.

I haven't had a problem with PP - but I also never write anything in the notes.

Venmo seems to be next in line? I don't know the fine print whether there are notable weapons restrictions.

Like was mentioned, be especially careful with wording. You have to note this IN ADVANCE of a paying transaction.

I use PayPal for 80% of my business. But... no one mentions a sale, just photography services.

I also use Venmo, but for personal friend-to-friend transactions.

It's my understanding that Venmo has some serious security flaws and basically no protections. Good for friend to friend transactions but problematic for business transactions or so I'm told.

Can someone explain or show me where PayPal has banned its use for buying/selling knives? I shop for knives on ebay all the time, and PayPal is pretty much always listed as a payment option. Admittedly, my focus is mostly on vintage pocketknives, but I see lots of other types for sale: fixed hunting knives, big modern folders, etc.
My particular "trigger "(pun intended ) :p problem was with a Pink colored Hogue grip sleeve . o_O No more a weapon than any regular grip tape or a Nerf ball . :rolleyes:

I think certain types of knives might be on PP's proscribed list , but I haven't had a problem with knife purchases per se ...yet . :confused: But there's nothing to stop them .

PP can arbitrarily decide at any time what is allowed ...or not . Thus the search for a viable alternative . :cool:

Let's not get bogged down with reality.

My particular "trigger "(pun intended ) :p problem was with a Pink colored Hogue grip sleeve . o_O No more a weapon than any regular grip tape or a Nerf ball . :rolleyes:

I think certain types of knives might be on PP's proscribed list , but I haven't had a problem with knife purchases per se ...yet . :confused: But there's nothing to stop them .

PP can arbitrarily decide at any time what is allowed ...or not . Thus the search for a viable alternative . :cool:
:eek: Hypothetical but relevant example = bayonets . These are knives / short swords , but are definitely designed and purpose built to be mounted on firearms . o_O

So are bayonets OK by PP rules or not ? Your guess is as good as mine . And how about tomorrow ? :confused:

:eek: Hypothetical but relevant example = bayonets . These are knives / short swords , but are definitely designed and purpose built to be mounted on firearms . o_O

So are bayonets OK by PP rules or not ? Your guess is as good as mine . And how about tomorrow ? :confused:

^ That's a really good question. :thumbsup:

My guess is, that not too long ago, there most likely weren't any issues with selling bayonets, but I'd be willing to bet that they'll be tightening down on those restrictions (if they haven't already) in the near future. My ZT bayonet, is my last line of defense in my home protection arsenal. ;)

As for your OP: I've seriously been looking for an alternative to using anything other than PayPal for all future gun/knives forum related transactions. I've used Zelle a few times, as well as USPSMO & FTF cash transactions. I'm pretty much done using PP, unless it's an absolute last resort. :thumbsdown:
View attachment 1535227

^ That's a really good question. :thumbsup:

My guess is, that not too long ago, there most likely weren't any issues with selling bayonets, but I'd be willing to bet that they'll be tightening down on those restrictions (if they haven't already) in the near future. My ZT bayonet, is my last line of defense in my home protection arsenal. ;)

As for your OP: I've seriously been looking for an alternative to using anything other than PayPal for all future gun/knives forum related transactions. I've used Zelle a few times, as well as USPSMO & FTF cash transactions. I'm pretty much done using PP, unless it's an absolute last resort. :thumbsdown:
View attachment 1535227
Nice bayo you got there ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'll have to take a pic of the infamous pink Hogue grip that is definitely already blacklisted by PP . :rolleyes:

I'd say that bayo is much scarier . :eek:

Thanks for suggestions of PP alternatives . :)

I think it's only rational to look ahead and prepare for PP to potentially broaden their "weapons related" ban policy . :(

How about Amazon Pay. I see them as an option on a few USA outlets next to the PayPal button.

You can't buy guns on there of course but I see a few Hogue grip covers. Not sure if pink is an option since I didn't click them all.

Nobody will be able to explain it to you, because it is not based in fact. It is based on conjecture. Paypal does not expressly ban knives besides the specific types they have been very clear about.

People getting their accounts shut down - anyone with a brain knows why. Oz didn't have their PP shutdown because they sell knives, they had their PP shut down because they violated other terms they agreed to when using the account. Paypal audits accounts, and if you have thousands of dollars in F&F transfers to and fro it's pretty obvious what's happening. I have done transactions with many people on Reddit, FB, IG etc where the notes were full of knife lingo, knife model names etc and there are no problems. People are jumping to conclusions.

I'll agree with some others that Paypal is not ideal for many reasons, but people have been forming a lynchmod simply because they have been caught skirting Paypal fees and it is giving people inaccurate information on Paypals policies.

Back