• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Recommendation? Alternative to PayPal ?

The solution seems simple to me - just add the 3% into the price.

Nobody will be able to explain it to you, because it is not based in fact. It is based on conjecture. Paypal does not expressly ban knives besides the specific types they have been very clear about.

People getting their accounts shut down - anyone with a brain knows why. Oz didn't have their PP shutdown because they sell knives, they had their PP shut down because they violated other terms they agreed to when using the account. Paypal audits accounts, and if you have thousands of dollars in F&F transfers to and fro it's pretty obvious what's happening. I have done transactions with many people on Reddit, FB, IG etc where the notes were full of knife lingo, knife model names etc and there are no problems. People are jumping to conclusions.

I'll agree with some others that Paypal is not ideal for many reasons, but people have been forming a lynchmod simply because they have been caught skirting Paypal fees and it is giving people inaccurate information on Paypals policies.
:confused: This has nothing whatever to do with my concerns regarding PP , but thanks for your thoughts . :rolleyes:

If I've been unclear , I'm sorry . :(:oops:

:confused: This has nothing whatever to do with my concerns regarding PP , but thanks for your thoughts . :rolleyes:

If I've been unclear , I'm sorry . :(:oops:

I was responding to the question of another user, the one I quoted!
Lynchmod was also just a typo.

I've sold some camera equipment recently using the local version of craigslist. All of the buyers, kids basically, initially asked to pay with 'Bit', which I assume is short for Bitcoin. I hold out for cash only on person to person sales but it interested me as to why these younger people are using bitcoin as their medium. It seems unstable as a currency, they probably have zero protection but I suppose it's protected from outside interference? At present the idea of using bitcoin for sales puts me off to the extent of not even learning all of its ins and outs. Keeping it at the end of a bargepole.

I've sold some camera equipment recently using the local version of craigslist. All of the buyers, kids basically, initially asked to pay with 'Bit', which I assume is short for Bitcoin. I hold out for cash only on person to person sales but it interested me as to why these younger people are using bitcoin as their medium. It seems unstable as a currency, they probably have zero protection but I suppose it's protected from outside interference? At present the idea of using bitcoin for sales puts me off to the extent of not even learning all of its ins and outs. Keeping it at the end of a bargepole.
Bitcoin is not a "currency" I would ever accept , except as a gift . To be converted ASAP . o_O

But we're getting derailed from OP topic . ;) I don't think bitcoin is a viable alternative to PP . :p

I will add this note I see Venmo mentioned a couple of times sorry to inform anyone but Venmo is owned by PayPal I can confirm this through support calls I have had with both Venmo and PayPal.

The reason for Bitcoin isn't transaction protection it is because it is currently a fairly unregulated and easier to conceal if you are interested in not sharing your money with your favorite Uncle named Sam. I do think it is a poor currency at this time as it is more of an investment currently given the rate at which its value changes and its growth over the last year alone. There are more stable cryptocurrencies which might be viable for use as currency but they would also I expect offer no protections either.

I will add this note I see Venmo mentioned a couple of times sorry to inform anyone but Venmo is owned by PayPal I can confirm this through support calls I have had with both Venmo and PayPal.

The reason for Bitcoin isn't transaction protection it is because it is currently a fairly unregulated and easier to conceal if you are interested in not sharing your money with your favorite Uncle named Sam. I do think it is a poor currency at this time as it is more of an investment currently given the rate at which its value changes and its growth over the last year alone. There are more stable cryptocurrencies which might be viable for use as currency but they would also I expect offer no protections either.
Thank you ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

With a google search you'll see many alternatives to PayPal. Some of the top rated ones are geared toward medium to large businesses. I'm looking for an alternative myself, but I'm not quite sure which one I'll use.

With a google search you'll see many alternatives to PayPal. Some of the top rated ones are geared toward medium to large businesses. I'm looking for an alternative myself, but I'm not quite sure which one I'll use.
Yeah , I've tried to search this but either my skills are deficient (very probably ) and /or there is no good way to sort out the best alternative for your particular purposes .

My primary concern as a consumer / buyer, is to have a simple , easy , yet fair and binding arbitration process , if I have a problem with a purchase .

PayPal's ability to freeze accounts for up to 6 months, it's fees, and no protection for the seller are some serious cons for me.

Nobody will be able to explain it to you, because it is not based in fact. It is based on conjecture. Paypal does not expressly ban knives besides the specific types they have been very clear about.

People getting their accounts shut down - anyone with a brain knows why. Oz didn't have their PP shutdown because they sell knives, they had their PP shut down because they violated other terms they agreed to when using the account. Paypal audits accounts, and if you have thousands of dollars in F&F transfers to and fro it's pretty obvious what's happening. I have done transactions with many people on Reddit, FB, IG etc where the notes were full of knife lingo, knife model names etc and there are no problems. People are jumping to conclusions.

I'll agree with some others that Paypal is not ideal for many reasons, but people have been forming a lynchmod simply because they have been caught skirting Paypal fees and it is giving people inaccurate information on Paypals policies.
This is what I thought, too. Personally, I have bought and sold many knives using PP with zero problem. You can pay for knives sold on eBay with PP, too. I have done that within the past month.

But it seems that a couple of posters on this thread are at least implying otherwise - that PP is closing accounts for folks selling knives, canceling transactions, etc. Confusing!

PayPal's ability to freeze accounts for up to 6 months, it's fees, and no protection for the seller are some serious cons for me.
What protections for the seller do you want that PP does not provide? They make sure you get paid . . . not sure what else they are supposed to do. But I've never had a problem, so maybe a specific example would help me understand. TIA!

As a minor addendum I would submit that rather than an investment Bitcoin is pure speculation for exactly the reasons you have already pointed out.

This is what PayPal actually says is prohibited : (j) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (k) certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law. o_O ???

I'm not a lawyer ,but this seems intentionally vague and open ended to me . :mad:

What does "certain " encompass ? Probably whatever they feel like . :confused:

Many types of knives are "regulated under applicable law " in some locale or another in the USA or somewhere . So can these be prohibited at PP discretion / whim ? :confused:

Another factor that baffles my simple country mind , is that , IIRC , the parent co. of PP is none other than Ebay . o_O

:eek: Wows-ear ! Guess where I attempted to purchase the very item that PP then disallowed for purchase ? :rolleyes: ( as described in OP )

Maybe there are subtleties of business and high finance involved here that are beyond my limited comprehension , but that seems more than a tad hypocritical and inconstant policy-wise . :confused:

What protections for the seller do you want that PP does not provide? They make sure you get paid . . . not sure what else they are supposed to do. But I've never had a problem, so maybe a specific example would help me understand. TIA!

Getting paid is not seller protection. What don't you understand about that?

As a minor addendum I would submit that rather than an investment Bitcoin is pure speculation for exactly the reasons you have already pointed out.
I view it like a stock and stocks are also very speculative granted a successful business will grow w/o speculation but speculation is what causes a stock to soar. If you were fortunate enough to have some from even as recent as 1 year ago it has at least doubled in that time so I would hold onto any I had for the time.

Enough of that little derailment I agree that those who has suffered issues at the hands of PayPal judgement are so few and far between it is difficult to say that it is just due to what they are buying or selling. I also agree that the language used in their terms is vague and does enable them to impose a judgement on accounts over the matters claimed and that this makes me wary of frequent use of their service.

Back