• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Recommendation? Alternative to PayPal ?

I also agree that the language used in their terms is vague and does enable them to impose a judgement on accounts over the matters claimed and that this makes me wary of frequent use of their service.
I can understand this. If I were using Paypal for a business, perhaps I'd be looking into alternatives with more defined rules and policies. As is, I'm just a hobbyist, and don't buy or sell at any significant volume or dollar amount to stress about it. I'll see how things shake out, and if better options become widely used, I'll consider switching.

"There are only two things I hate: the way things are, and change."

Another factor that baffles my simple country mind , is that , IIRC , the parent co. of PP is none other than Ebay . o_O

:eek: Wows-ear ! Guess where I attempted to purchase the very item that PP then disallowed for purchase ? :rolleyes: ( as described in OP )

Maybe there are subtleties of business and high finance involved here that are beyond my limited comprehension , but that seems more than a tad hypocritical and inconstant policy-wise . :confused:
No. EBay sold off PayPal a long time ago.

Getting to keep that payment though to my knowledge PayPal does not have as much bias toward buyers or sellers as eBay whose rules are much more in favor of the buyer.

What kind of protrection do you want other than getting paid? When I sell something, all I expect is to get paid. What do YOU expect?

All the buyer has to do is say that the item is not as described. Whether tag is true or not doesn't matter. They file a claim and your PayPal account is frozen. If they paid via credit card, the company can institute a chargeback and then PayPal becomes the middleman. The item doesn't even have to be returned for this to happen.

This is what I thought, too. Personally, I have bought and sold many knives using PP with zero problem. You can pay for knives sold on eBay with PP, too. I have done that within the past month.

But it seems that a couple of posters on this thread are at least implying otherwise - that PP is closing accounts for folks selling knives, canceling transactions, etc. Confusing!

Quite frankly, they are implying otherwise because they have spent X amount of time skirting Paypals transaction fees, got caught, and are crying about it without wanting to admit why.
People seem to forget that essentially every major knife retailer uses Paypal. Retailers that sell balisongs, automatics, push daggers etc. I know of 2 "retailers" who had their accounts shut down and both were found to be due to running lotteries thru Paypal all F&F.
It is very clear at least to me that there is a very small percentage of people having their accounts shut down compared to people that freely and cavalierly buy and sell knives using Paypal as their platform. Paypal isn't a human right, and if you want to enjoy the convenience and protection of using their platform they want their cut of the business you perform. There's a whole lot of people who want to sling insults around but ultimately they signed on the dotted line when they made the account.

As an Old Coot, I use USPS MO's. I shoot a photo of the completed MO, and addressed/stamped envelope to the seller. Some ship immediately and some wait. I really don't care for PP, and would buy more knives if sellers accepted MO's. My choice and I will live with it. 2 cents.

Back