Am I On The Right Track Buying These Expensive Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of them are US made, except for a Böker Tree Brand made in Solingen, Germany, and five which are made in Russia.

Prices are between $500.00 and $1,400. I’m having trouble deciding if I’m on the right track. They all have premium steels, and are made by well respected makers…..but I just don’t know if the quality trumps the outlay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
After an explosive growth it is always a good idea to stop and just use and enjoy what you have. Good quality knives will last a lifetime so take your time and use them in different roles, seasons, environments. Only personal experience gained through use will give you a sense if your collection is headed in the right direction.

Premium steel in itself doesn't mean as much as good blade geometry (aproppriate for the intended use) and good heat treat. Things like thickness behind the edge, grind type, stock thickness and positive or negative blade angle are some of the more important attributes of a blade.

Yes, please continue
01j3wle.jpg

Buying expensive knives can be the wrong train. It can also be the right train. Depends what track you want to be on.

If you are buying expensive knives to post photo’s and get “likes,” just to turn around and sell ‘em. That the wrong train for me.

If you love knives and appreciate great quality with a splash of style…then go for it. :)

I personally buy all sorts of knives, mostly upper tier, and use and carry them too. Only a couple safe queens for me, and that is just because I like looking at their pristine condition. And once it goes in my pocket, it’s getting scratched. Haha.

The wrong train to get on is buying knives you think others like or will be impressed with. Buy what you like, used em, put ‘em in the dirt, cut stuff, and don’t worry what other people think of your blades.

If you have the expendable funds…buy whatever you like.

I appreciate low cost SAK’s and high dollar customs. All for different reasons. If you are enjoying your hobby…keep doing what you are doing.

I also agree with kobold kobold that sometimes it’s good to take a break so you can enjoy what you have accumulated.

Keep ‘em Sharp

My most expensive is an xm-24. I don't think I'll ever top that. I never thought I'd break the $100 barrier, but here I am with a case full of them.

If it makes you happy and you can afford it why not? You do you. I need to stop buying and use more of them... They do all get used, but with so many it will be a long time before any of them are even close to being really used.

All of them are US made, except for a Böker Tree Brand made in Solingen, Germany, and five which are made in Russia.

Prices are between $500.00 and $1,400. I’m having trouble deciding if I’m on the right track. They all have premium steels, and are made by well respected makers…..but I just don’t know if the quality trumps the outlay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You’ve made a terrible mistake, repent now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back