Another sad day for all of us

Like the others have said - terrible news for an Icon business, also terrible news for Management and Staff.

Although I am in New Zealand - I am saddened that another GREAT American Cutlery Firm is closing.

All the best and positive thoughts to all directly involved - from New Zealand and also Many thanks for the quality items that they produced over the years.

What a shame! Best to those who will have to transition to a new job hopefully in the cutlery arena.

I'm very sad to hear this. I wish Wally, Eric, and the others best of luck and hope they land on their feet.

This is really sad news. I felt a personal connection with them after going to their first annual open house, talking with Eric and meeting several workers as I toured the factory. Best wishes to Eric, the workers and their families.

Our hearts go out to Wally and his staff.
I've been in a small company that went under and can testify it's tough on every employee.
Smoke and prayers raised that all are able to find work and recover.

I was really happy when Wally started CSC and was able to keep some of Schrade's employees working and turning out some really fine knives.

I'm really sorry to hear that it wasn't sustainable. Being a New York State resident I'm sad that we've lost another manufacturer. Being a knife lover I'm sad that we've lost another great American cutlery company.

My best wishes to Wally and Eric and all the other good folks at CSC.

Sad to hear this. Especially since CSC did such a wonderful job on the Erics jacks this year, as opposed to the other offering.
Was hoping to purchase more when times are a bit better.
Best wishes to the CSC crew in whatever paths they may take in the future.

Last edited:
This is such sad news to read...My best wishes for every member/ employee of CSC going forward.

I join the other BF members in the sadness and shocking suddenness of this news. May the employees reenter the work force swiftly.
Words fail...

Sad news, I hope that all that knowledge and craftmanship won't be lost and wish the best to all of them and a new job.

This is very sad news for all of us knife lovers. Best wishes go to all of the owners and employees of CSC.

I personally feel some guilt in not supporting CSC with more purchases, while my shelves are chock full of Great Eastern tubes.

It may be too late for CSC but lets all keep the other traditional manufactures in mind.

that's very sad news - hope affected employees can quickly find something else.

Nothing positive about a business closing and people loosing their jobs :(

Sad news indeed. I wish everyone from CSC a safe and healthy transition to whatever new job they will get.
I do hope their craftsmanship doesn't get lost.

Fausto
:cool:

As previously stated Very sad news!! I loved the Old Schrade (My first knife addiction) and was glad that Wally and crew were able to continue in a way with that tradition!
Sorry to here another small American maker is leaving US here with this Knife nut affliction! :(
Best of luck to ALL at the CSC may you find a new home quickly that will allow you and your families to prosper.

AFAIK, market demand/sales were but one component in the decision that Wally and Joe made. None of the cutlery closings this century have been caused by single factors. Nor last century. Many factors go into making a cutlery succeed or fail. Support those remaining to the best of your abilities and be thankful they yet exist.

This is so sad. It was a hard hit to the area and to knife collectors when Schrade left. CSC was an awesome endeavor in that it kept the NY knife-making tradition alive and kept at least some of these trained employees alive. Hate to see another NY manufacturer, and a knife maker at that, go under. Thoughts and prayers to the CSC staff and families - thank you for keeping the Schrade dream alive.

This is a depressing day! Our beloved old cat Miss Kitty got ran over by a car this morning and now it's like Schrade going bye all over again! Prayers for the employees!

I'm a little bummed too. Just recently introduced to the CSC quality. And why I jumped on this years forum knife so fast. Good luck to those involved, I wish you well.

Back