Another sad day for all of us

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Phil Gibbs, Nov 17, 2015.

1. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Sorry to hear about the kitty Peter P. :(

2. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Very sad news indeed! Best wishes for all the people involved.:)

3. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Oh, Heck! So much runs thru my head at news like this I just don't know where to begin. I watched the gun industry in Southern California die out and every company that closed it's doors hurt friends I'd known most of my life. Being a craftsman is enormously difficult. My heart goes out to all involved.

4. The Amazing Virginian

The Amazing Virginian Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    I am really bummed by this news like everyone else here. :(:grief::crushed::miserable::dispirited::heart-borken::dejection:

MY thoughts and best wishes go out to everyone at CSC - especially as the holiday season approaches.

5. Maple Tree

Maple Tree Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Sad news for me to hear as well. I wish a big window of opportunity opens for everyone at CSC, as this one closes. Further to that I'd also like to say THANKS! for making some great knives, only a few of which I have, but enjoy them all very much, they're wonderfully made. (can't wait for my 2015 BF)

6. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong

Feb 17, 2011
    That's a real bummer. I really love the half-moon trapper, one of my favorite patterns ever. I gave my Cocobolo one to a close friend and he's carried it non-stop for 2 years now. I always meant to get another one but that will be difficult now. CSC makes an exceptional knife in my opinion. I hate to hear they're going away. They also gave me totally wonderful customer service the one time I needed it for a knife that got beat up on its way to me. This is more disappointing for me to hear than if many other brands were going away.

7. Ballenxj

Ballenxj

Oct 30, 2010
    Sorry to hear about Wally's loss. :(
    Maybe you can tell me, or maybe Eric will chime in here, how many employees did/does Canal Street have, including management?
    Another question, would it be out of the question for a forum such as ours to own a knife manufacturing company? :eek:

8. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Wow that is terrible! Their products will be missed, I especially liked their cannitler knife...

9. ohen cepel

ohen cepel Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Man, I feel for those concerned. Also, a loss for the nation as another knife maker goes. I was able to ride by their factory when I was in the Hudson Valley and was able to visit a great shop which was like their factory store when I lived up there. Really bummed if they go. Sad on many fronts.

10. Crunchmeister

Crunchmeister

Feb 17, 2013
    This is really sad. My condolences to all involved. I often tell people that the U.S. cutlery industry is making a comeback now that people are realizing what they are missing when they buy Chinese and what we have lost. CSC made some nice stuff, some of which is on my "to get" list. Guess it'll have to be sooner than later.

11. Vinifera

Vinifera

Aug 13, 2015
    While I, together with many others, lament the loss of another knife manufacturer, there are many reasons a business can fail and to attribute reasons for the failure at this point is a bit presumptuous.

12. Rox

Rox

Mar 22, 2013
    Has anyone noticed a recent price increase in the remaining retail stock? I went to a popular online retailer that has a healthy CSC inventory and I swear the prices have all gone up by $10.

13. akula83

akula83

Aug 19, 2008
    Wondering this myself, is there going to be a run on them now? how much stock can be out there from such a small operation?

14. Quapukulu

Quapukulu

Feb 13, 2014
    Is there anything we can do to support CSC? I really love my Dog's Head. I've been meaning to get some Half-Moons...

Best of luck to everyone from CSC!

15. akula83

akula83

Aug 19, 2008
    So, if you had your eye on a particular CSC knife and were waiting...better do it now? Since the stock out there has already been purchased by the distributors, maybe a sudden run on product would funnel some cash to CSC to help during the holidays...maybe?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  16. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Phil,

That's sad to hear.

sal

17. JustinR

JustinR Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2008
    What a loss to the industry. One of my favorite companies. I will have to put my reclaimed chestnut barlow in my pocket tomorrow.

18. Catherine_Montana

Catherine_Montana

Sep 10, 2014
    Sad news to hear.

Will any of the former employees form a smaller company?

I do not own any of their knives but they sure made some pretty knives!

My late husband, my MT husband and I owned several original Schrade (NY made.) knives. My MT husband still owns a couple of them.

I hope that the workers can form a small company. If they can't do this, I hope that they can find a good job in today's economy.

Prayers said for the owner of the company and for all employees.

Cate

19. Catherine_Montana

Catherine_Montana

Sep 10, 2014
    Wow!

This is sad news as I just wrote in a post.

I am reading this thread to my husband right now.

He and I are discussing this and about other companies across this nation.

This is not only happening in NY state. It is all across this nation with small, medium and large companies.

Best wishes to all of the employees and to the owner.

This is going to be a sad Christmas and holiday season for many of those people.

Cate

20. All of the wrangling to agree on a forum knife, I don't think we are the ones to be running a company together. I see where you're going with it, but it looks like a no go.