Another sad day for all of us

All of the wrangling to agree on a forum knife, I don't think we are the ones to be running a company together. I see where you're going with it, but it looks like a no go.
This is where you put a knowledgeable person in charge of making those decisions, (Somebody like Charlie (waynorth)) comes to mind. I also see Sal Glesser in here. I see names that I think have the wherewithal to make the right decisions. Let that person do what needs to be done, as opposed to putting it up for vote on a forum. The forum would/could be more like a major shareholder.
How many paying members do we have here that might be interested in a venture like this? If we had enough clout collectively to make it happen, would it be worthwhile? I think maybe. Or, we can all just sit on our thumbs and watch another iconic knife company go down in history. :rolleyes:

We can pipe dream all we want, but really maybe not so much. This aspect of discussion is outside of the rules of this particular sub-forum if I remember correctly. And Spark, being the owner of Bladeforums, would be the only person who could ever make such a decision, or authorize any such activities, and that would be extremely unlikely at best. .02 cent

Last edited:
I don't know where the appropriate place would be to discuss purchasing a company. I can tell you it's not here.

I've been contemplating what I would do with the 2015 forum knife. I think I'll just hang on to it now that I've seen this news.

I've been contemplating what I would do with the 2015 forum knife. I think I'll just hang on to it now that I've seen this news.

I have two coming and was going to give one to my father-in-law for Christmas. I guess not now...Sorry Dan.

Thinking about it, I bought two forum knives in 2011. One was the Blade Forums Knife, and the other was the A.A.P.K. forum knife which was made with a D2 blade, Deer Antler scales, by Canal Street. I will try and remember to dig that one out, photograph it, and post it here. It's been put away for so long I almost forgot about it. :eek:

This is sad to hear. I'm a big fan of Canal Street Cutlery knives and have purchased several, including the incredible Ring Opener. The most recent quality has especially been top-notch.

I've noticed a lower selection of in-stock products lately though, but attributed that to high demand. Maybe that's not been the case?

With all that knowledge and old world skill you have to wonder who can make it in this industry. Quality just isn't appreciated anymore. Very sad news and right before the holidays. Wish all CSCC employees the best and thanks for preserving the tradition.

With all that knowledge and old world skill you have to wonder who can make it in this industry. Quality just isn't appreciated anymore. Very sad news and right before the holidays. Wish all CSCC employees the best and thanks for preserving the tradition.

With all due respect, there is a lot more to operating a successful Manufacturing Company than turning out a quality product. A Quality Product does not, of itself, guarantee success. My comments are meant in general terms only as I have no direct knowledge of Canal Street Cutlery's business plan.

Not cool at all! Remember the USA Schrade from my childhood and now the proud owner of one of their 1873 bowies...

Has anyone noticed a recent price increase in the remaining retail stock? I went to a popular online retailer that has a healthy CSC inventory and I swear the prices have all gone up by $10.

I noticed the same thing. I was going to purchase a few knives from this company but decided not to because of the increase. Not that I can't afford it...just didn't like the fact that they raised the prices because of CSC's closing. Other companies have left their prices as is. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

It is really sad, and there aren't many traditional making factories left out there in the US. Every time 1 closes, it just shows how hard it would be for a new company to try and start out.

Very sad news. I hope that knowledge stays in the industry and doesn't just vanish. Best of luck to everyone.

All the more reason to cherish and support the one's we have left.
Speaking of which, here is an interesting site that lists American knife making companies.
http://www.americansworking.com/knives.html
And here's another list that was made right here on Bladeforums.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/782955-Help-me-list-all-knife-manufacturers-currently-operating-exclusively-in-the-USA
This last one was closed for reasons unknown to me, but I think it would be nice to have a list here somewhere that could be updated.

I noticed the same thing. I was going to purchase a few knives from this company but decided not to because of the increase. Not that I can't afford it...just didn't like the fact that they raised the prices because of CSC's closing. Other companies have left their prices as is. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

That's quite distasteful. I hadn't noticed until I actually checked thoroughly at some popular retailers.

Best thoughts go out to CSC with thanksgiving coming soon

Back