Antique Cattaraugus Knives and Company History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my Cattaraugus Teardrop Easy Open Harness Jack in (what I believe is) Ebony. Propeller shield. Spear point, not a clip. 3 5/8".
It seems to be fairly uncommon in that it is a harness jack without a disc shield, is an easy open harness jack, and it is barehead.
There is no number stamp, but it is believed to be a 24396G.

Last edited:
If Charlie doesn't mind, I'll add my screenshot of it above.
I don't mind a bit!!!
I think your knife is great also!!!
I hope someone chimes in with the numbers etc. you are looking for!!
BTW, when they used the round disc shield, it meant a punch was on board!!!

I'm not sure this is the best place to ask. But, I've tried to gather all the information I can on this knife and am curious if anyone could provide any more details.

Here is my Cattaraugus Teardrop Easy Open Harness Jack in (what I believe is) Ebony. Propeller shield. Spear point, not a clip. 3 5/8"

I've seen that the way the numbers work out, my knife is likely a 2xxx6 or 2xxx7, but I think it is ebony. I've seen mention that a bolster number of 4 is either unknown or easy open with 2 bolsters. And that a bolster number of 1 is one bolster as is seen on my harness jack. I'm inclined to think it's a 21xx6, despite the easy open. I am lost on pattern numbers though. I also didn't see any abbreviations that seemed to fit.

These knives look very similar to mine. Both are ebony. One bear head one not. One has propeller shield. And, one is spear point.

Edit: It looks like the image didn't work in the quote above despite me seeing it when writing this post. If Charlie doesn't mind, I'll add my screenshot of it above.

I swear I saw Charlie post three catt hj's in a triangle, all had disc shield, two were pick bone, and one was ebony. The ebony was very similar to mine, but different shield and no easy open. The pictures weren't loading for me though. (OMG, when I quoted this it brought the picture back! I screenshot it so I don't lose it.) ... I now see that the ebony hj of Charlie's also had rat tailed bolsters and mine does not. Mine does have an identical punch and spear though, which makes me inclined to believe mine is more original.

I found it odd there is no pattern number stamped on mine. I also noted that both implements are tang stamped. I wonder how old this knife may be and if it is indeed all original. I believe the same tang stamps were used from 1886-1963, which makes things tough.
Nice looking Old Catt my friend . I just looked in my Cattaraugus Catalogue and found your basic knife but no pics were found showing the punch .
The basic model number looks to be either a 24396 for Ebony or 24397 for Cocobolo . And then for one having a punch they will show a Letter after the number . The letter for a punch would be a " G " . Which would agree with the way waynorth waynorth 's shows .
lgpdJpa.jpg

The EXCEPTION is that your's is a bareheaded or open ended meaning without a Bolster at the end of the handle .
2 = 2 Blades
1 = open ended
39 = Balloon Jack / Easy Open
6 = Ebony or 7 = Cocobolo
G = Has a Punch Blade

All that being said : The Catt pic's show 3 pins and you have 4 pins in the covers. Sometimes Catts numbering under the photos do not match what they say in their directions on their own numbering system .
Now the real sorry part is : I have a small amount of Old Catts and I have one just like the Catalogue Photo and it has NO number on the blades . So maybe they did not even know what to stamp on the blade . Mine also has 3 pins & Federal Shield .
WSwyugX.jpg

I hope that I have not bored you too much , Just trying to help .

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back