one of my favorite pearl gents
0e8rqVx.jpeg

Another Whittler
Vo9t532.jpeg

UFS7eFh.jpeg

Pickbone pruner, another favorite
BRRXI1U.jpeg

g16Kkal.jpeg
Rob it may have already been discussed, but why do some have “Hammer Brand” stamped on the tang? You have an extensive collection of cutlery history!

Rob it may have already been discussed, but why do some have “Hammer Brand” stamped on the tang? You have an extensive collection of cutlery history!
I've heard the arched stamps are pre hammer brand, I haven't seen any documentation of that belief. The first 2 pearl knives below the stag senator have arched stamps. You see the straight line stamp in multi blade knives with and without the hammer brand mark.
Thanks, Bubber:thumbsup:

The trade mark "Hammer Brand" logo was adopted in 1878 by the New York Knife Company. The words "Hammer Brand" were added to the now famous arm and hammer logo in 1882. In a 1908 catalog, the tang stamp on every illustrated knife blade was New York Knife Co. Walden and only Hammer Brand blade etches. It appears the Hammer Brand tang stamp on one blade and New York Knife Co. Walden on the other appeared after 1908 to me ...................... unless they were using outdated illustrations in the 1908 catalogs, of course. 😇

There are numerous arched as well as straight line tang stamps illustrated in that 1908 catalog. 😉

I suspect the pearl small congress shown above might pre-date the Hammer Brand era. Find me a faint Hammer etch on that one and prove me wrong ! 🤣

My first NYKC Hammer Brand knife was put to good use by someone. All blades still snap open and shut though. :

Last edited:
The trade mark "Hammer Brand" logo was adopted in 1878 by the New York Knife Company. The words "Hammer Brand" were added to the now famous arm and hammer logo in 1882. In a 1908 catalog, the tang stamp on every illustrated knife blade was New York Knife Co. Walden and only Hammer Brand blade etches. It appears the Hammer Brand tang stamp on one blade and New York Knife Co. Walden on the other appeared after 1908 to me ...................... unless they were using outdated illustrations in the 1908 catalogs, of course. 😇

There are numerous arched as well as straight line tang stamps illustrated in that 1908 catalog. 😉

I suspect the pearl small congress shown above might pre-date the Hammer Brand era. Find me a faint Hammer etch on that one and prove me wrong ! 🤣

My first NYKC Hammer Brand knife was put to good use by someone.:
View attachment 1751416
The bone still looks good 👍 someone got their money out of it.

Thanks for some clarity on the Hammer Brand stamp dates:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Scroll back up to the pearl knife just above the pruner. Hammer Brand on the main blade, arched stamp and straight line on the secondary blades. That fits right in with your comment on all 3 stamps in the 1908 catalog:thumbsup:

My first NYKC Hammer Brand knife was put to good use by someone. All blades still snap open and shut though. :
View attachment 1751416
Much appreciated for the info!

Thanks Primble for refreshing this NYK thread! Also for posting photos of your wonderful NYK examples the genesis of this thread:thumbsup:
This thread and the Elusive Schrade thread are my two of favorite threads on BF:thumbsup:

I want to get in on this “Love Fest” o_O for the NYK company old/antique knives that are some of the best ever produced domestically! My thanks to everyone that has contributed photos and comments to this thread—much appreciated!! My photos include a few examples from the already mentioned Charles Lamb (chuko) collection. He was a highly motivated, respected and passionate collector of New York Knives and is greatly missed. Anyway, I think Rob, Mike R. , Mike L. and I (and probably others on BF I am not aware of) were fortunate to acquire some of his best examples—thanks Eric!
2EFCA324-A7CB-4C6A-9C2A-D0B8D41B4724.jpegC5C1AFBC-BFB6-4E1E-806C-5C501C98AB1C.jpeg2B3054DE-FD54-4933-94B5-4F46979F0C0E.jpegCC3966E4-C700-43A5-822B-E85830714C34.jpeg97943D7F-FC5B-4472-950E-6D382729CE8D.jpeg

I felt fortunate to have had a chance at some of chuko's knives.
Lloyd, that is an amazing assemblage NYK Co knives :eek:
Thanks Primble for refreshing this NYK thread! Also for posting photos of your wonderful NYK examples the genesis of this thread:thumbsup:
This thread and the Elusive Schrade thread are my two of favorite threads on BF:thumbsup:

I want to get in on this “Love Fest” o_O for the NYK company old/antique knives that are some of the best ever produced domestically! My thanks to everyone that has contributed photos and comments to this thread—much appreciated!! My photos include a few examples from the already mentioned Charles Lamb (chuko) collection. He was a highly motivated, respected and passionate collector of New York Knives and is greatly missed. Anyway, I think Rob, Mike R. , Mike L. and I (and probably others on BF I am not aware of) were fortunate to acquire some of his best examples—thanks Eric!
View attachment 1751429View attachment 1751428View attachment 1751432View attachment 1751431View attachment 1751430

View attachment 1751429View attachment 1751428View attachment 1751432View attachment 1751431View attachment 1751430
What a great collection of NYKC knives.
Full etch on some and minimal blade wear on all of them.
Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your contribution Lloyd - I knew you had a keen interest in the NYKC knives and I see you have corralled some real fine examples ! 😳☺️

In particular, I love the Trapper style knife, the Swayback, and that Sleeveboard, all fine examples ! I have a well used version of two of those, it is so nice to see what they looked like before they were put to hard use. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I knew Charles had a lot of them in his rabbit holes and he usually showed fine examples. I am sad to learn of his passing 😞, but, I am certain that he would have a little smile 😇 if he knew his knives ended up with fellow B.F. members, gentlemen that can appreciate the craftsmanship and history of these wonderful examples !

They look very impressive all grouped together for photos - made me realize I need to get some group shots of my better examples.🤔☺️

Lastly, as I had for a long time suspected, seeing more and more models of NYKC knives on display, it confirms to me how big a player that NYKC was for the John Primble Brand (Belknap Hardware), the later being a contract purchaser of knives. I need to revive and update that thread - whew ! 🙃

Last edited:

Look at those treasures! I really like that coke bottle.

Wonderful collection!

New York Knife Company Lobster Pen:

I haven't added to my NYKC collection in a while. Glad to have this one. It will have it's own place in the house and not allowed to mingle for long with other family members. ;) ☺️

Wish I could show you the 3D look these covers have, but, impossible to do with a 2D photo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back