Any Opinel love? (Updated pics)

Sorry I am a day late. I know that there is another chart for the handle stamp but here is the blade stamp chart.

nDQfK2L.png

1932-55.
xYCKAyO.jpg

1980-86.
EOOew1n.jpg

1998-2004.
CwwAqMc.jpg

And a group shot of the meager collection.
The #12 is a work in progress I started just before coming down with CIDP in 2016.
Bout time to get back to it and finish it now that my hands are working right again.
Next for the collection will be a #8 Effile.
tnG3W08.jpg

As a senior citizen with some arthritis issues in the hands, I find Opinel's one of the few knives that I am able to deal with easily. I keep them as strait up friction folders, and very rarely use the locking ring.They are sooooo much easier to deal with than slip joints with he back sparing that snaps closed it you loose the grip on the blade while opening.

Not to mention they cut like the dickens.

Jackknife,they cut the best out of all knives i have its just they get stiff when theyre wet otherwise theyre best knives for money.Opinel should make handle from some sort of plastic and eliminate that problem ,it would sell like crazy.

...I keep them as strait up friction folders, and very rarely use the locking ring.

One of the most unique and useful features of the Opinel, to use or not use the lock depending on the task at hand. I’ve used slips for many years without issue, but must admit that on occasion having a lock would be good for some peace of mind.

Lonestar 1979, they do make a plastic handled No.8. Called Outdoors. Check out my post #100 as I have a couple in with wooden ones.

Repost of earlier pic in this thread (Photobucket and all that):

cbIO37b.jpg

Zieg

What is the black-handled one at the top? I like the fat drop point. The slot in the bolster suggests an internal lock ring, ala Antonini. What’s the deal?

What is the black-handled one at the top? I like the fat drop point. The slot in the bolster suggests an internal lock ring, ala Antonini. What’s the deal?
That is the old Cold Steel Twistmaster. 3mm thick Carbon V blade, hard rubber handle (think hockey puck), and a lock that presaged the horizontal channel Opinel now uses. It's very stiff to open, too stiff for my liking. But that's good I suppose as the lock is pretty poor by Opinel standards. I do love Carbon V, though.

Zieg

I am back again with a couple new to me ones. First is a No. 9 regular with a rusty blade. It was pitted more than I hoped. Still a good knife.
After Cleaning
O7QHHFb.jpg

Second is a No.8 Inox Effile with Olivewood handle. This is for sure the best Olivewood I have.

4IpF5aR.png

Congrats on your Opinel pair, E edbeau ! That No. 9 cleaned up very nicely, and the olive wood No. 8 is downright glamorous! :cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

5K Qs, The picture of the knife on the bay wasn't good at all but I did notice it was Olivewood and had to have it. The description was very vague and had no mention of the polished blade or model number. When I got it, it was a lot better than I expected. Some day I need to create a group photo of my Olivewood Opinels.

My trusty n.8 after something like 2 years and a half of being my edc.
I love Opinels and they have a special place in my heart: my very first knife was a stainless steel and bubinga n.8 that my father gave me on my 20th birthday, I lost it, and as I was looking for a new knife to replace it I discovered new brands, knifemakers, blacksmithing and bladesmithing, then the next I know I was forging and accumulating knives!
So yeah, it all began with a lost Opinel... :)

lNNNUbJ.jpg

Back