Any Opinel love? (Updated pics)

Some Effiles

tQx9XAQ.jpg

Nicely done :thumbsup:. I mirror polished a Mudbug and a couple other knives over the years. I have an untouched Opinel #8 in carbon here that just might need the same. Thanks for the inspiration. ;)
That one came like that. Polished with bubinga wood. Its my fancy out in public food knife.

I'mSoSharp, great knife. French Foreign Legion. Great find!

Sergeua, My favorite Opinel wood is Bubinga, second Olivewood.

Leave it to the French to come up with something so useful but so elegant! Every time I carry my Opinel I always think that I should carry it much more often. So easy to overlook but I could be happy using it every day. I need to get a carbon steel #6.
IMG_4077.JPG

I'mSoSharp, great knife. French Foreign Legion. Great find!

Yeah, I was a bit surprised to find it & wondered why it would have been produced thinking maybe something given to Legionnaires, someone said they were available in Foreign Legion shops so not quite so exciting! Still don't really know it's origin, anyone could stencil/burn that on I suppose.
Anybody know more?

The Opinel to the knife world is like the invention of the wheel in locomotion. Simplicity is eternal and will ride the winds of change.

I have a suspicion this style of knife will be around for a very long time by those who enjoy zen-like simplicity, whether the company is called Opinel or something else

Reactions: vba
... Every time I carry my Opinel I always think that I should carry it much more often. So easy to overlook but I could be happy using it every day. I need to get a carbon steel #6.
View attachment 861527
+ 5K!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Almost exactly my thoughts about Opinels, Russell! Except I already have a carbon steel #6 - it was my first Opinel.
Here it is, almost new:
ukeovPT.jpg

Here it is, not long ago, after I "messed with" it much more than I intended to:
bcugX4K.jpg

Here is a #7 I purchased soon after my almost entirely positive first impressions of the #6:
lBKaaxN.jpg

Here's a more recent pic of the #7 after some use:
PpqbM8e.jpg

Here's a modded #8 I was gifted about the same time I got the #7 IIRC (thanks, Dave):
ENTNL22.jpg

A #8 garden knife I bought a couple of years ago:
aDrZMvM.jpg

Yeah, I have some Opinel love. :D

- GT

North Shore, There is a chart available that dates Opinels by the blade stamp and the printing on the handle. I will get it when I get home tonight.

North Shore, There is a chart available that dates Opinels by the blade stamp and the printing on the handle. I will get it when I get home tonight.
E edbeau , I (and I'm sure others) would be very grateful to see that chart.
I have looked and can't find anything official about dating Opis but what is on the Opinel site.:confused:

I've never heard of those Effiles before now. I love the shape of those blades, I bet they would make excellent fishing knives.

Back