Any Opinel love? (Updated pics)

Everyone should at least own one Opinel (No. 8) ... :thumbup:

20170116_105528-01.jpeg

I also have a sentimental attachment to Opinels. Many years ago my dad brought one home from a trip to Europe. This was before I was really into knives. I fell in love with that knife, but relegated it to picnic duties (at which it excelled at). Over the last few years I have come to know what a capable knife it is beyond picnicking.

My dad passed a couple years ago and everytime I start to miss him, I throw the Opinel he got me in my pocket and I feel better. It is a very appropriate choice for remembering your brother.

Here is mine on Halloween duty
nkbEF9j.jpg

And another stainless I picked up recently
kMUQzfn.jpg

Nothing like an Opinel, best work/utility/travel/hiking knife I've found. The guys who say that the 12c27 versions hold their edges better are right. But it is much, much harder to get the wire edge off that stuff so some might think the edges are dulling faster but I find that true of many stainless steels. I really like my stainless versions, super slicey and super all around cutting abilities.

_MG_1104_DxO-1xx750DD.jpg

But don't discount the carbon models. They are not chopped liver. LOL They take a laser sharp edge with minimal work but need to be stropped a little more. I've had this #8 since the '80 I think, my first Opinel. Found it at a local outdoor store in Coghlan's packaging, billing it as a camp knife. Super light and will do anything I need to do with a knife. All I did was sharpen it a bit, strop it and gave it some Shou Sugi Ban treatment, very lightly and slowly, and then a soak in Teak oil. It is still one of my top carry knives, gets all the cooking done out there and carves wood like nobody's business.

_MG_1611_DxO-2750CC.jpg

Nothing like an Opinel, best work/utility/travel/hiking knife I've found. The guys who say that the 12c27 versions hold their edges better are right. But it is much, much harder to get the wire edge off that stuff so some might think the edges are dulling faster but I find that true of many stainless steels. I really like my stainless versions, super slicey and super all around cutting abilities.

But don't discount the carbon models. They are not chopped liver. LOL They take a laser sharp edge with minimal work but need to be stropped a little more. I've had this #8 since the '80 I think, my first Opinel. Found it at a local outdoor store in Coghlan's packaging, billing it as a camp knife. Super light and will do anything I need to do with a knife. All I did was sharpen it a bit, strop it and gave it some Shou Sugi Ban treatment, very lightly and slowly, and then a soak in Teak oil. It is still one of my top carry knives, gets all the cooking done out there and carves wood like nobody's business.

Great post total agreement. I've just found that for me, since they don't make the other woods in carbone, I sometimes go with stainless if I want a different handle. I love the look of yours.

I'm always a fan. Slicy. Light. Comfortable handles.

Whittling machines.

I have one, a number 9 i think? I'm not a big fan. It came to me in the mail unsharpened. Seriously, they didnt grind an edge on the thing. I might like a smaller one better,

....I've had this #8 since the '80 I think, my first Opinel. Found it at a local outdoor store in Coghlan's packaging, billing it as a camp knife. Super light and will do anything I need to do with a knife. All I did was sharpen it a bit, strop it and gave it some Shou Sugi Ban treatment, very lightly and slowly, and then a soak in Teak oil. It is still one of my top carry knives, gets all the cooking done out there and carves wood like nobody's business.

_MG_1611_DxO-2750CC.jpg

Nice knives :thumbup: I had to search for a definition of "Shou Sugi Ban treatment".

I think the knife was probably made no earlier than the 90s since it has the modification to keep the blade locked in the closed position.

I like Opinels with the #8 being my favorite. A while back I decided I wanted to try a bunch of sizes and bought two of these. Gave one away in a GAW if memory serves me right Daniel Tilly won it. Great way to try out the different sizes.

mXXDdN8.jpg

Great post total agreement. I've just found that for me, since they don't make the other woods in carbone, I sometimes go with stainless if I want a different handle. I love the look of yours.

Thanks Alan,

I found the same thing, the premium woods only come with the 12c27 versions. But that is some great steel. When I do use the carbon blades some treatment is necessary to get the ugly out of the plain or stained beech wood. A little Japanese technique does a pretty good job.

Nice knives :thumbup: I had to search for a definition of "Shou Sugi Ban treatment".

I think the knife was probably made no earlier than the 90s since it has the modification to keep the blade locked in the closed position.

Hi Jake. That mod was done by me and my file, a thing you can do with any older Opinel to lock it closed. If you look close you can see that is a bit different than the factory feature, just a filed ramp instead of having a sharp corner if that makes sense.

Thanks Alan,

I found the same thing, the premium woods only come with the 12c27 versions. But that is some great steel. When I do use the carbon blades some treatment is necessary to get the ugly out of the plain or stained beech wood. A little Japanese technique does a pretty good job.

Hi Jake. That mod was done by me and my file, a thing you can do with any older Opinel to lock it closed. If you look close you can see that is a bit different than the factory feature, just a filed ramp instead of having a sharp corner if that makes sense.

Ah! Clever idea for a mod !

Great job of getting those Opinels ready for action, edbeau! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
They look awesome!

- GT

This thread was doing great before the photobucket fiasco. I had posted many of my Opinels but now the pictures are gone. I enjoy finding Opinels on the bay with advertisements either printed or engraved on the handle. This is my latest No. 8 and the company makes barrels in France.

Ru4yQvg.jpg

Back