Any thoughts on how to make the Practical Tactical forum better?

I think the practical tactical forum has the worse sense of community and poorest relationships among regular posters of any of the forums on Bladeforums. I am envious of the busse forum or the swamprat forum, even Wine and Cheese has more community. Practical Tactical is the only one that really matches my interests so I would like to make it better. It seems the first response a poster typically gets there is a personal attack or at the least sarcasm. The situtation now is that the moderator Ken Cox is basically discredited and bashed every time he posts something. So he is not able to raise the level of discussion. In this atmosphere you don't see alot of creative threads or posts. There really isn't much fun either. How do we make it better?

Prac tac is pretty mellow considering the subject matter in comparison to other forums of this type.

Personal defense type topics tend to get "hot", it is the nature of the beast.

As for Ken Cox; he is a big boy and knows what he is in to as the Mod of that forum..........

Holierthanthou said:
I think the practical tactical forum has the worse sense of community and poorest relationships among regular posters of any of the forums on Bladeforums. I am envious of the busse forum or the swamprat forum, even Wine and Cheese has more community. Practical Tactical is the only one that really matches my interests so I would like to make it better. It seems the first response a poster typically gets there is a personal attack or at the least sarcasm. The situtation now is that the moderator Ken Cox is basically discredited and bashed every time he posts something. So he is not able to raise the level of discussion. In this atmosphere you don't see alot of creative threads or posts. There really isn't much fun either. How do we make it better?

It starts with you (or me). I talk about what has worked for me. I do not bash someone who may have different opinions or experiences. I don't give advise, I state an opinion and am open to other's opinion.

How did this get posted in TGB&U? :confused:

By the way, Practical Tactical is not a moderated forum.

moving-van.jpg

Thanks knuckle duster that was some good advice, I think your right, and I hate to give up but participating in these forums is getting me depressed, Im mean even the post up above by Cougar Allen who is what the owner of bladeforums? , askes how did this get posted in the good the bad the ugly ? Because I didnt know where else to post it. But I thought I would try to make things a little better. I mean the posts can be so disrepectful. What is wrong with people that they treat other people the way they do here?This forum has alienated alot of good and talented people.

wolfmann601 said:
Prac tac is pretty mellow considering the subject matter in comparison to other forums of this type.

Personal defense type topics tend to get "hot", it is the nature of the beast.

As for Ken Cox; he is a big boy and knows what he is in to as the Mod of that forum..........
Thanks for your post Wolfman, About Ken Cox , He is cool and as you said a big boy, but take a look at the recent pages of the Paul Vunak thread. It is disgusting ,the disrespect shown to him there. And I dont care if he is right or wrong about his information. I got the feeling from reading his posts about how James Keating quit moderating the forum that Ken had had about enough. If people would maybe think twice about disrespecting a poster before they impart their hard core street tuff wisdom, the forum would be alot better.

Holierthanthou, your forum name almost seems like "asking for it" in dealing with an inherently confrontational area of discussion.

Cougar Allen is a super moderator, not the owner of Bladeforums. Spark owns Bladeforums. Ken Cox moderates the Political Arena, a difficult enough task in itself, and participates in Prac Tac from an interest in the subject.

I agree with you that many participants there can be extremely confrontational, but that's the nature of the beast. If you can't handle verbal aggression, what's the odds of you ever learning to deal with physical aggression?

Personally, I felt too much time gets wasted with so much chest-thumping. It's fun to watch gorillas doing it, but humans can communicate on a subtler plane.

I suggest you continue participating there, but when you find someone is being a bore, just Page Down past them, or put them on Ignore altogether, and focus on the more substantive responses.

Esav great advice on the page down tip, but do you see that you resorted to put down remarks? I have been dealing with violence on an average of every two or three days in my job in an acute care psych ward for over 8 years. Violence and agression isnt cool or glamorous to me, it is just gross and disgusting. But without knowing anything about me you just assumed I couldnt deal with agression, you flew right into put down mode. I just wonder why is it so difficult to speak to another poster without doing that? Why the Holierthanthou name because that is all I see here, people acting that way to one another, so many people having that attitude.

Htt, it looks like you can't handle verbal aggression! Look how you just overreacted to my simple statement. You don't like the disrespectful way many people post in Prac Tac, and I suggested that's inherent in even discussing aggression, and you took it as a personal attack.

Meanwhile, you now let us in on the joke -- your name is a put-down of everyone here. Without even knowing most of us.

Keep your head down and you won't draw fire ...

I suggest perusing the other foums on BFC. PracTac is one of those forums that I stay out of. I have no interest in dealing with people who think they have all of the answers and then cry foul when you call them on their BS. Not everyone in that forum is a know-it-all. Alot of them actually know what they are talking about. Ignore the morons and move on. It's that simple. You might want to read up on where to post threads rather than just dump them where you "think" it belongs. Not knowing where to post something is a lame excuse. Learning where to start topics on the forum before posting anything in it at all will prevent threads being moved. But like Esav stated, your username is a magnet for abuse. How you choose to represent yourself (such as choice of username) speaks volumes about you. And with this being the internet we don't know squat about you but the name you chose suggests that you think you are above all and everyone else is crap and their views mean nothing. Not a very wise choice in my opinion.

Esav there was no overreaction. Saying you went into put down mode is not an overreaction. Again though you go into negative comments. "You cant handle verbal agression "is a put down. It also isnt based in fact. I handle it. I dont like it and I think we could have a much cooler place if people would talk to each other without the put downs.

It looks to me like we don't want to speak the same language. That's OK, as I said, there's always Ignore.

KV Collucci I will make a better effort to learn about how and where to post. But I dont think you needed to say it was a "lame excuse". I also agree with you about alot of people in Practical Tactical knowing what they are talking about. That is why I like it. I dont like the disrespect and the almost constant and automatic put downs that people resort to. The put downs frequently progress to disrespect and personal attacks. It alienates pepole, potentialy people with alot of talent and information to contribute. it has , it does and will continue to. And you know what? I dont really even care about the put downs that come my way. If I did I wouldnt use the tag that I do. There are fantastic people posting on this forum(Practical Tactical) people like Ken Cox, Pahtoocara, Whitedragon even the college guy Vicious. I think it has amazing potential. I would like to see the posters recognize the value of even the people they dont agree with on the technical points and treat them more as community members and with respect and dignity.

Esav I wont be the one to ignore you. I cant see why you would ignore me. You made very good points to me and I thank you for responses. I hope we can talk again another day and maybe find more to agree on.

I hope my contribution could be helpfull.
The PT forum is a difficult area to contribute to in a way that it is helpfull for other forumites..
The reason is that the PT forum is about situations with an unlimited amount of variations.
"What if" is a endless debate, because endless situations can be made up, that don't fill the average vieuw given.
My personal approche to the PT forum is that it could be one of the most important and usefull forums available ( it could save my hide, one day :D )
But for me SD is like a puzzle. Every contributor ads his part of the puzzle and i try to fit that piece in the whole picture.
But because it is not mathematics and the variables are so immense you can always find a situation where a certain technique is totally ineffective.
What i do is absorbing all the different vieuws and tactics and add them to my survival list.

I would like to use the comparrison with making fire in a emergency situation.
Some prefer making fire by using a bic lighter, some a zippo, some with a fire piston, or with friction. Some say using a magnifier is better, and some prefer a magnesium stick.
Is one method "better" then the other ? Yes, but, it all depends in what situation you are in.:D
A bic lighter is a great tool to light a sigarette in a large city, but lighting it with friction is foolish. :rolleyes:
But if i need to light a fire when i strand on a island without my bic , friction is the better option.

So instead of quarreling among each other what is best we should combined our knowledge to form a database of usefull information that we can use if a life threathening situation occurs.

Having a big ego is useless, it deprives us from the possible very important information that other people have and it gives the PT forum bad vibes.

Instead we should investigate every advice given to us, and put the information in our own human data base, because we never know when we might need it.

That was really great Mongo man, I think your post should be required reading before anyone can post in the Practical Tactical. I think it is perfect. Thank you that is better than anything I could have come up with.

It looks to me like we don't want to speak the same language.

Semantics I think, the "you" form of passive should not be used on a public BB, there is always somebody to take offence (who does apparently not understand it).

TLM

Holierthanthou said:
Esav great advice on the page down tip, but do you see that you resorted to put down remarks? I have been dealing with violence on an average of every two or three days in my job in an acute care psych ward for over 8 years. Violence and agression isnt cool or glamorous to me, it is just gross and disgusting. But without knowing anything about me you just assumed I couldnt deal with agression, you flew right into put down mode. I just wonder why is it so difficult to speak to another poster without doing that? Why the Holierthanthou name because that is all I see here, people acting that way to one another, so many people having that attitude.

You must be just more sensitive then most forum members.I do not interpt what you claim was in Esav's post as anything of a "put down" or "negative"
People have many different personalities as in real life,and expressing oneself in a forum can often be misinterpeted.Yes,there are more and less agressive people here,strong opinioned,sensitive,cold.I stay out of the Political forum mostly myself,due to the emotions it stirs in me reading some of the opinions posted.I would probably get in trouble there if I participated regularly.
Like in reality,you aren't going to like or get along with everyone.Don't take this as a "put down" but you just may be a part of a small minority that can't tolerate a forum type social gathering.

Tombstone thanks for you post. I am looking for advice on how to make the Practical Tactical forum better though not personal advice. As I said already I really am not too concerned about negative comments coming my way and the reason that I responded the way I did to Esav was just to point out the invevitability of negativity in most posts. Your comment that I may not be able to "tolerate a forum type social gathering" is a put down regardless of wether you advise me not to take it that way or not. You also write typically of so many other posters in jumping to unsupported conclusions. I would simply like to see posters become more aware of sarcasm, disrespect and negativity when they are contributing as well as the tendency to jump to illogical conclusions with a minimum of supporting facts. I think Mongo man`s suggestions were really on target, free of any put downs, creative, insightful and logical. Wanting to see more posts like that and less like Esav and yours doesnt mean I am not able to tolerate this type of social gathering.

Sarcasm, disrespect, and negativity are valuable tools when dealing with wimps who have no business discussing serious subjects because they jump to the conclusion that any criticism of their ideas is criticism of themselves personally.

What you call a tendency to jump to illogical conclusions with a minimum of supporting facts looks to me like making a decision based on Best Available Data. It's also a way of getting a discussion going to eliicit more of the data needed for a better decision.

But in your case, I think it's beside the point. Go home and whine.

Back