Anyone else disappointed to have found the perfect primary EDC blade?

Have you found your perfect EDC primary blade yet?

If so, does it feel like you've lost that excitement of the hunt?

There are some really great knives out there that would be amazing EDC knives... But I feel like I need to buy them for other ppl, because I've already found what works for me.

It's a bit sad.

There's always an excuse to buy more specialized pieces, but they aren't the versatile cornerstone EDC that you carry every day.

Having said that, I'm going to try to spice up my core EDC relationship with some new scales...
:p
I've got several knives that could contend for the perfect EDC. The thing is, there is just never going to be something that covers all things in ever knife carry circumstances and use situations. There will never be just "one". Further, I'm not searching for the perfect EDC. I don't think it exists and I don't necessarily want it to either. Variety is the spice of life. And one of the good things about the times we live in are the nearly infinite options available to us as knife users. There is always something worth looking into and maybe giving a try.

Finding the perfect knife? It doesn't exist.
Simply put, ^this.

My Enzo Necker is the perfect knife for me, but now I'm searching for the perfect sheath. Damn and blast it, I was so close to ending my quest.

Have you found your perfect EDC primary blade yet?

If so, does it feel like you've lost that excitement of the hunt?

There are some really great knives out there that would be amazing EDC knives... But I feel like I need to buy them for other ppl, because I've already found what works for me.

It's a bit sad.

There's always an excuse to buy more specialized pieces, but they aren't the versatile cornerstone EDC that you carry every day.

Having said that, I'm going to try to spice up my core EDC relationship with some new scales...
:p

Are you a sharpener? If not, that's an entirely new rabbit hole to explore...

I have found that the PM2 or a Hogue Ritter are my blades. Every once in a while I will carry something different and it makes me appreciate the other two much more.

Fred Perrin neck bowie in damascus ...

Lightweight, perfect edge geometry (for me), can be used for SD.

I carry this thing everywhere.from the city to mountain peaks (i live in the alps).

I haven't bought as many new knives since i got it 2 years ago.

Gonna get me the bigger version too :)

No kidding. I searched for years for the 'one'. Spent a whole lot of money. Bought some beautiful knives but they always fell somewhat short. Imagine how I felt when the 'one' turned out to be a bog standard SAK Spartan with nylon scales costing about $20. I wish, oh how I wish that it wasn't so aesthetically sterile (I'm an artist by profession!), that somehow it would express my personality and tastes. However it does everything I need or want from an EDC, so very well that every time I see a nice knife, I can't bring myself to waste the money. I'd love CF scales for it, I think that would serve to make it 'mine' but I can't bring myself to spend 4X the price of the knife on a scale upgrade.

sakblack2.jpg

Who said SAK always has to be dull and sterile? GITD and Tritium equipped SAK I made...
354MBbO.jpg

I have found my perfect primary EDC to be a SAK and am happy with that...who said the perfect EDC has to be the perfect knife? ;)

It's disappointing that it came in the form of such an inexpensive knife: the bugout.

The Bugout did the same for me. Really made me pause. It's still my favorite knife but not I have started trying out different blade steels. I learned a lot from the Bugout about how much knife I actually need and it slices so well. Now when I search for knives the Bugout is what everything gets compared to.

Being on the forums since 2006, I've had several phases where I found a model that made me lose interest in looking for other knives. The 2 that stand out the most for me were the Spyderco PM2 and the ZT 0462CF. I think I carried the 0462CF almost exclusively for a few of years and didn't really check in at Bladeforums during that time. Eventually, I came back and there were new trends and models that I got interested in. I think part of that was the break itself. And as much as I still really like the 0462CF, I probably only carried it a handful of times since I've been back on the forums. I'm back in the phase where I enjoy looking for new knives. This ebb and flow of interest in this (or any) hobby seems perfectly normal.

No......I do have favorites. Also some knives I carry are better because they are better for work.......not just as a tool.........but are less likely to cause concern from people. Yeah......a Ka Bar on the belt really makes some people nervous. LOL

I found the "perfect" (note quotes) patterns (for me) long ago ... back in the 19 and 60's I think.
The 4 blade Scout/Camp/"Demo" knife, and the stockman.
I usually have one of each in my pocket.
For over 45 years I also had a Old Timer 6OT or 7OT, or Buck 110 on my belt.

Recently I discovered I'm rather fond of the old school two blade slipjoint folding hunter, and some of the moose pattern knives with the "modified"/"improved" extra belly spay/budding blade.

I think "perfection" also has a lot to do with what tasks you're likely to face on a daily basis. For example, 20 year ago when I was helping refit my then boss' yacht, the "perfect" knife was a Marlin Spike, since I was splicing a lot of 3 strand and double braid lines and halyards.
(knots look so daRn tacky)
(the screwdriver blade on my Demo knife also come in right handy for opening cans of spar varnish.)

It's disappointing that it came in the form of such an inexpensive knife: the bugout.
Interesting comment. While there is probably no *perfect* knife for me, I was (and am still) satisfied with the Mini-Grip for many years. I also have a full size. The full size is too big for my daily carry but it rides in the glove box. The Mini always felt a bit too small in hand (not for any tasks I had need for). But I carried mine for a good 10 years until I saw all the raves for the Bugout. Bigger handle, bigger blade, lighter weight. I bought the original and it was not their best example and returned it. Not long after, I learned about the 535BK-2 version and bought one. Bingo! Even lighter than the original and it fits my hand well. It's been my daily carry for the last couple months now.

I also really like the Mini-Presidio which I bought shortly after as it is similar in style to the Grip but in a medium size rather than full or mini. It's about the same size as the Bugout but heavier duty and sits in my little tray that holds my wallet and keys along with the Bugout. I have those two models to choose from each day (along with my little SAK Executive which is always in my pocket, even at home). The Bugout is about the perfect knife for me for an EDC single blade knife and, if I lived in town, would tick all the boxes. But I live in the country so need a little more robustness from time to time.

Last edited:
Years ago, I found a knife that I like better than any other, so it's the only one that gets pocket time. It's big -- with a thick, but not wide, handle that doesn't take up too much pocket space. The 4.2 inch blade flies out of the handle with ease, and free-drops back when I hold the Axis lock open. It's super strong -- I can chop with it -- and it gives me a lot of leverage. Yet, it's an excellent slicer with just a 0.015 inch width at the edge shoulders.

Love the Rukus 610.
2v2Efg59qxAWtWs.jpg

I finally found it, and it’ll be delivered tomorrow...and if that’s not the one, I’m sure the next one I order will be. ;)

I have two coming: a Kershaw Launch 1, and a Boker Kalashnikov Limited Edition Dagger Damascus. Perhaps one of them will be the one? But I think the OP has lost sight of the fun of it all - the Thrill of the Hunt! Well my mistake, he did ask the question.

Before knives I collected watches for years. Then my wife bought me the perfect watch (Grand Seiko). Didn’t feel like looking any more.
I couldn't afford that model, so I got the $94.00 Seiko Solar Quartz...
Over the last 7 months and 7 days, my watch is now running four seconds slow. Pretty neat.
But I'm still primarily a knife-hound.

Back