Anyone else disappointed to have found the perfect primary EDC blade?

The PM2.. was the last knife I bought about six years ago. This along with a Manix 2 CF S90V and a Sage 2 Ti... are what I carry depending on pants or shorts. My BM 710 M2 is in the safe. Every other pocket knife, aside from two Leathermans and an Ontario Rat 3.5 inch 1095 steel back country knife, have been sold. Honestly, there are some great knives these days.. but I am... content.

Wow!

To be content with the knives you have, especially to the extent that you haven t bought a knife in the last 6 years puts you in a very small minority of members of this forum. But it sounds like you re in a good place.

I think part of collecting/accumulating anything, the hunt is part of the fun.
Knives are a bit different depending on your motivations. Some just like to accumulate.
For me, it's basically a tool so finding the ultimate is the dividend of trying this and that and making adjustments until you find/make one that fills a need.
Going all handmade/customs has made the search easier. Need something different or need to make a change? Talk to the maker and it's done to your specs.
Like most of you, I've looked at thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of blades, thinking about what I need/want.
I got one blade coming that should be the one. A blade shape that should do it all for me.
Sad? no.
It sounds weird but I can only think of one word right now to describe the almost end of the journey.
Satisfied.

Among the number of offerings by manufacturers and custom builders and my ability to modify factory knives, we’re getting close to perfection. Still doing some hunting owing to the plethora of new designs and materials and combinations thereof.

Last edited:
My EDC for the past 2 years is a ZT 0770CF flipper due to carpal tunnel syndrome. For many years I carried a Spyderco Endura but once arthritis and carpal tunnel set in, I switched to the flipper.

auLcBaX.jpg
It is my perfect primary EDC blade, considering the strength of my dominant hand.

Wow!

To be content with the knives you have, especially to the extent that you haven t bought a knife in the last 6 years puts you in a very small minority of members of this forum. But it sounds like you re in a good place.

Yeah, I am in a good place and appreciate your comments. If you look when I first joined the forum, I've been fortunate to have bought, used, sold and gave away as gifts a bunch of classic Benchmades, Spydercos, Sebenzas and the ones remaining, suit me perfectly.

If I were to move to the beach or a tropical climate, I'd buy a Spyderco H1 Pacific Salt, one in PE and one in SE.

Whatever you buy, enjoy! And use them...hard!

I found my perfect EDC a couple years ago in the Benchmade Bugout. I'm not sad; I'm happy as a a clam that I found the knife that works best for me and my uses.

I found my perfect EDC a couple years ago in the Benchmade Bugout. I'm not sad; I'm happy as a a clam that I found the knife that works best for me and my uses.

Bugout is a great knife.

Thin stock, great steel, awesome blade shape, lightweight, etc.

It is totally a 1-knife type of deal. :thumbsup:

If it were MY 1-knife... Then I'd get 4-5 of them, in different colours, scale materials and now, 2 sizes!

:eek::eek::eek:

Well, the closest I've ever gotten to the perfect EDC have been the BM Bugout and the Sm Sebenza 21, close, yet I still continue to buy more knives....

I'm all there with CanadaKnifeGuy CanadaKnifeGuy :
A couple of years ago I discovered the BK14 as THE EDC.
That knife is so good, it rides in my right front pocket all day every day, I don't even know anymore for how many years...
Have several of them and some are tinkered with, but it always comes down to the original shape and and the zytel scales.

I would argue, that the BK14 could have a slightly longer handle (and I still want that), but my hand is already used to the shape and rejects other knives as not so comfy.
In a pinch, the BK14 would be my OTO, but as I'm quite knife nut, I buy larger knives as well, love big choppers and also a (German knife laws suck) Spyderco UKPK for sheeple friendly application in the office.

Back to the original question: Nope I'm not sad to have found my grail edc knife, but would love some variations to buy.

Currently, Josh from @razor-edge-knives is sandblasting and dlc-ing a new 14 for me and really looking forward to it:)

"..found the perfect primary EDC blade" - it's like getting a new gf when you are in college. You are happy you think you found the primary user and BAM! That slim brunette with curly hair walks by you and... you feel your primary blade has been replaced. You are happy you think that now you really found the primary user and BAM! That blonde blue eyed girl with gentle Southern accent walks by and....

Perfect does not exist. Otherwise life would get boring and bladeless!

Here is my near-perfect blade top 25 list:

1. Koenig - Arius Gen 5 (m390)
2. Holt Bladeworks - Specter v3 (m390)
3. Shirogorov - F95 (m390)
4. ZT - 0560 (Elmax)
5. Hinderer XM-24 (CPM 20CV)
6. Medford Knives - USMC Fighter Flipper (3v)
8. Cold Steel - 4MAX (CPM 20CV)
9. Peter Rassenti - SNAFU 2 (m390)
10. Lone Wolf Knives - T3 Ranger (CPM S30V)
11. Elishewitz midtech - Persian flipper (CPM S30V)
12. Lionsteel - KUR (Sleipner steel)
13. Fantoni - HB01 (S125V!!!!)
14. DDR Darrel Ralph - Madd Maxx 7 inch (S35VN)
15. Micky Ray Burger Knives "Strider" - SMF (3v)
16. Spyderco - K2 Farid Mehr design (10v)
17. Cold Steel - AD-15 (S35VN)
18. CRK - Sebenza 21 large (S35VN)
19. Arno Bernard - gentleman's folder (S35VN)
20. Cold Steel - Espada XL (S35VN)
21. Sacha Thiel - Officer V3 (N690co)
22. Benchmade - Barrage 581 (m390)
23. Microtech - Halo V (m390)
24. Hogue - X5 (CPM 154)
25. Todd Begg - Bodega (S35VN)

Last edited:
What EDC we choose often changes over time as our needs change. Hence, "perfect" can change and it does.

I don't particularly worry about finding perfection. It is a knife..... it's a tool. Use for a while and then change; no big thing. Use another and maybe go back to using the previous one. No big thing.

Often if you find something you really like, you will eventually use it as a model to find something else just for variety.

The hunt.... sure if you truly collect, but I mostly accumulate knives.

Bugout is a great knife.

Thin stock, great steel, awesome blade shape, lightweight, etc.

It is totally a 1-knife type of deal. :thumbsup:

If it were MY 1-knife... Then I'd get 4-5 of them, in different colours, scale materials and now, 2 sizes!

:eek::eek::eek:

I did cave and buy a second one in a different color.

I have found what I currently consider to be the perfect main blade for a pocket knife, but I'm still waiting for Case to offer it in CV.

Since I can't have exactly what I want I get to forget about what I consider perfect and appreciate other knives I simply like a lot.

Now in the world of traditional knives you can get the same blades or extremely similar blades on various patterns and different takes on those patterns from various manufacturers, so really you can have your cake and eat it too.
You can have variety and familiarity at the same time.
Is this a 6208 half Whittler? If so Case will be offering a CV version soon!!

Last edited:
Back