Anyone else disappointed to have found the perfect primary EDC blade?

Spent a lot of money on 26 ZTs and a bunch of Kershaw only to finally buy a paramilitary 2 and manix 2 last year to see what all the hype was about. I then realized I like them better than all my ZTs and a majority of my Kershaws. I now have 5 PM2s and 7 Manix 2s. I like them so much I’ve been thinking of selling my ZTs and some of my Kershaws. I think I’d be ok with just those 2 knives as my only folders really.

Go figure.

"..found the perfect primary EDC blade" - it's like getting a new gf when you are in college. You are happy you think you found the primary user and BAM! That slim brunette with curly hair walks by you and... you feel your primary blade has been replaced. You are happy you think that now you really found the primary user and BAM! That blonde blue eyed girl with gentle Southern accent walks by and....

Perfect does not exist. Otherwise life would get boring and bladeless!

Here is my near-perfect blade top 25 list:

1. Koenig - Arius Gen 5 (m390)
2. Holt Bladeworks - Specter v3 (m390)
3. Shirogorov - F95 (m390)
4. ZT - 0560 (Elmax)
5. Hinderer XM-24 (CPM 20CV)
6. Medford Knives - USMC Fighter Flipper (3v)
8. Cold Steel - 4MAX (CPM 20CV)
9. Peter Rassenti - SNAFU 2 (m390)
10. Lone Wolf Knives - T3 Ranger (CPM S30V)
11. Elishewitz midtech - Persian flipper (CPM S30V)
12. Lionsteel - KUR (Sleipner steel)
13. Fantoni - HB01 (S125V!!!!)
14. DDR Darrel Ralph - Madd Maxx 7 inch (S35VN)
15. Micky Ray Burger Knives "Strider" - SMF (3v)
16. Spyderco - K2 Farid Mehr design (10v)
17. Cold Steel - AD-15 (S35VN)
18. CRK - Sebenza 21 large (S35VN)
19. Arno Bernard - gentleman's folder (S35VN)
20. Cold Steel - Espada XL (S35VN)
21. Sacha Thiel - Officer V3 (N690co)
22. Benchmade - Barrage 581 (m390)
23. Microtech - Halo V (m390)
24. Hogue - X5 (CPM 154)
25. Todd Begg - Bodega (S35VN)

I’m all over #13 and #14. I have 7” MADD MAXX’s in CPM S-90-V and Haynes Stellite 6K. I am glad that I stocked up on Fantoni’s. I heard they quit knife making.

I'm one of the people actively looking for the perfect edc, though I'm not totally convinced that's possible. :)

My serrated wharncliffe Endura with black on orange Zome scales is probably my favorite/perfect large edc folder. It pretty much meets all of my criteria for a perfect edc folder.

Also, I wear a Spyderco Ladybug hawkbill SE around my neck no matter what else I'm carrying. That Ladybug actually sees alot of use. (Maybe it's my actual perfect edc folder? :confused:)

In the eight or nine years that I've followed the various knife/tool forums, I've discovered how much I really like fixed blades, though folders are much more convenient to carry. My next goal is to find the perfect edc fixed blade.

intresting topic. I cant say I have found the perfect knife yet, though I know what it is like as ive found my perfect watch and no longer feel like I want nor need to ever buy another. (the watch is the seiko skx013 by the way)

"I have 7” MADD MAXX’s in CPM S-90-V and Haynes Stellite 6K" WOW! Actually the 7 or 9 inch Madd Maxx I've been looking for years, they somehow became super rare and the prices have appreciated dramatically. Same with Fantoni going out of production, their prices have been appreciating... I was lucky I bought Fantoni Rammici 3" knife for $150 (12 out of 25) and now some sellers are asking close to $800 for it.

I was disappointed as two DDR Madd Maxx deals flew by because of insane prices owners wanted and found this baby on accident at a pawn shop.

Bought it right away. Had shitty centering did not open easily, blade play + some scratches. Sent it to my friends at AR Mods.

Now I am enjoying this 7" baby...

eIVCNYr.jpg

This is before I sent it

zseeykV.jpg

Spent a lot of money on 26 ZTs and a bunch of Kershaw only to finally buy a paramilitary 2 and manix 2 last year to see what all the hype was about. I then realized I like them better than all my ZTs and a majority of my Kershaws. I now have 5 PM2s and 7 Manix 2s. I like them so much I’ve been thinking of selling my ZTs and some of my Kershaws. I think I’d be ok with just those 2 knives as my only folders really.

Go figure.
I think a lot of us have spent a lot of money on knives in the last few years questing for more of the knives we really like, and then we change. Oh well.... ;) Keeps the hobby rolling!

I really don't need any more than a couple folding knives to use daily. Dropping the total down to TWO would be really a pain and I wouldn't like it (even if I only use a couple regularly). That takes a lot of the fun out of the whole hobby. I like to be impulsive with knives as I am not a very impulsive person in general.

I have gotten pretty comfortable with about a half dozen folding knives that I am willing to use just about anytime. I seldom rotate an edc. One gets used for months and sometimes years, and then I switch.

Fixed blades are another story. With my whims satisfied with folders, I now look at fixed blade knives much more. It's just plain old fun.

If it isn't knives or guns, there will be something else to "wish for". Of late it has been photography equipment.

Last edited:
Found mine 45 years ago. I’ve second guessed it a bunch over the years but the newest and prettiest are all gone and it still remained. What I do is just keep buying more of the same one. Over 250 of them over the years. I’m not sad in the least. View attachment 1356276
Camillus made Buck 303 from the mid 70’s. The worlds only perfect pocket knife ( to me anyway)

I think the only "perfect" knife is the one that you make yourself when all other knives fall flat and you decide to become a knifesmith. That hasn't happened for me yet as I prefer the good over the perfect.

What about when your favorite knife is also not your best knife? I can't stop playing with this unidentified TwoSun even though my edc is much better.

Back