1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone use their true grail knife for active cutting?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Tseg, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Tseg

Tseg

Aug 25, 2018
    I kept wanting better and better and ended up with this. I love fondling it but don't actually have the guts to cut with it yet (but out of the box this thing shreds paper like a machine). How will this play out?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lenny, kbirk2003, dc50 and 2 others like this.
  2. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    I've never really been into overtly pretty or art knives, so my "true grail" knives are a little easier to achieve and less expensive. That being said, I use mine for cardboard cutting and whatever else comes up at work and home, because they've mostly been Microtech Socom Elites and I'd feel bad having awesome knives that never get used.

miltmaldo likes this.
  3. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    Knives, unlike women, can be too pretty to use. ;) That one would be for me. :cool:

Tseg likes this.
  4. RBid

RBid

Apr 6, 2014
    I bond best with used knives. The marks they earn are badges of honor, putting my mark on them. My most expensive folder was around $550. I use it often.

MeritedEdge likes this.
  5. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    I can only speculate about this because I don't own my "grail" yet ... but I imagine I would cut stuff with it.

AntDog, Pilsner and Tseg like this.
  6. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    By the way, that is beautiful.

Tseg likes this.
  7. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I've collected CRK's in the past, and have some idea of what you're facing. I've sold all of the fancy ones without using them. I still keep a nice Zaan and Regular large Seb in the safe, but just bought another "user" large Sebbie off of the Exchange for daily carry.
    I would NOT be able to use that gorgeous knife...any more than I would abuse my wife.

RBid likes this.
  8. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    Use it and enjoy it.

BBW likes this.
  9. Dean51

Dean51 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I'm betting eventually you'll use light use and special occasions.
    I don't have anything that nice so my grail knives are the ones that get carried the most.
    I have about a 10 grail knives, I'm lucky :D

10. folder geek

folder geek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Id have no problem carrying that knife and using it for light cutting tasks:thumbsup:
    Anything more than envelops, tape or a good steak out comes the boxcutter:)
    She is a beaut BTW!
    Cheers

Tseg likes this.
  11. tony281sc2

tony281sc2

Feb 13, 2017
    I absolutely do not use any of my “grail” knives. But then again I’m far from being rich. I’ve never spent more than $400 on a knife, and I consider my grail knife to be my ZT 0452g10 in M390, because I like it the most. If I was rich I would have 4 of these instead of 2 and I would definately use one.

12. JD Mandrell

JD Mandrell Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    My "grail" was a southpaw Sebenza, and I carry and use it, no problem.

Honed_Edge and Kreyzhorse like this.
  13. cdf293

cdf293 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 27, 2016
    That is a nice looking knife. Congrats on your grail.

I too have a Damascus Sebenza 21 but have only carried mine a couple of times.
    I had every intention of putting it to work as an EDC but as it turns out, I'm not really a fan of how the knife feels now that I have it.
    It is a really lovely knife but it has turned out to be my least favorite to carry and use. It is by far the most attractive knife I own though.

14. Jody744

Jody744 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2009
    [​IMG] My most expensive, and my grail all in one. Took me 10 years to get it. I do use it on occasion. Tim Britton custom. ( I also have 5 kids, my quiver is full!)

dc50, Tseg and Charlie Mike like this.
  15. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    If it's too pretty to use, it gets sold.

snooka, Gideons, marrenmiller and 9 others like this.
  16. Rival1314

Rival1314 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 17, 2012
    Idahonotu likes this.
  17. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I'm honestly not sure I have a "grail" knife ... but I use the most expensive knives I own regularly so I guess that's as close as I can say personally.

BBW, Sergeua and Charlie Mike like this.
  18. cdf293

cdf293 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 27, 2016
    As an afterthought to my previous post, I don't really have a grail but I frequently carry and use a Shiro F3.
    I wouldn't lose a moments sleep using my CRK if it was as comfortable to use as the Shiro.

BBW likes this.
  19. Sergeua

Sergeua

May 1, 2016
    For me to use that pretty crk I would have to pull that bevel back significally. Then, in my mind, people who would want to buy that particular configuration, might not appreciate what I've done.
    But if i really like it, I wouldn't mind having some mamonth inlays on my regular lol, I wouldn't care. You use it and if you want to sell it, offer it at good price. Then the money you lost was your entertainment.
    That sebenza means worker. You can buy new blade get it into spa. Work it bro.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    BBW likes this.
  20. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Platinum Member

Dec 25, 2012
    I don't care much for Sebenzas, but that's a gorgeous example right there. That said, use it. Life is short and uncertain, why have the thing and not use it?