April 2022 Buck of the Month - 112 S35VN 50th Blade Etch Marble Carbon Fiber Inlays

I just bought a 112 Sport so I'm passing on this one. Good looking knife :thumbsup:

I like carbon fiber, but prefer woven vs. marbled. That said, I bought a 112 Slim with the marbled handles, and as others have said above, the handles are much more handsome in person than in the pics.

I kind of like the increased production numbers. I was out of town without regular internet/cell service and didn't see the notice until the next day. Nice that I could have got one if I wanted.

Tang etch instead of stamp Disappointed.gif

Tang etch instead of stamp
Disappointed.gif
Yep...Boo-Hiss

The grey distressed leather shieth is new. I hope we see more LE's with it but if it's strictly just for this BOTM it will be collectable in its own right.

The grey distressed leather shieth is new. I hope we see more LE's with it but if it's strictly just for this BOTM it will be collectable in its own right.
Mine looks like black distressed leather...at least the same shade of black distressed leather that I have seen before. Do you have pictures of yours?

UPDATE: I went to the place I hardly ever visit and saw several examples where the sheath with this 112 definitely looks greyish. Even though Buck's website states "Black leather sheath. Made in the USA.". I am just glad it is a USA made sheath paired with the 50th anniversary knife. Now if they would only stamp instead of etch the blades, this would be a perfect offering. ;)

22 left

Last edited:
I never put this together. Now that you've pointed this out, I'm ok with the etch.
think it was Bob Loveless who said stamping steel harmed it...and Im paraphrasing his actual quote...he used an acid etch to not create issues in the steel. laser etching i imagine would not harmful to the steel vs. stamped.

now we all have seen old knives stamped and used very hard and survived.....so maybe its just extreme overkill? regardless Bob was a pretty smart knife maker, so who knows.......

think it was Bob Loveless who said stamping steel harmed it...and Im paraphrasing his actual quote...he used an acid etch to not create issues in the steel. laser etching i imagine would not harmful to the steel vs. stamped.

now we all have seen old knives stamped and used very hard and survived.....so maybe its just extreme overkill? regardless Bob was a pretty smart knife maker, so who knows.......
That's interesting. I certainly don't have the knowledge to disagree with Loveless. I'm sure that stamping introduces some stress into steel, but would have thought it negligible. Perhaps the force required to stamp the harder steels is simply excessive. When I read pjsjr pjsjr 's post I was thinking in terms of wear and tear on the stamp/die. Probably both are problematic 🤔

Mine looks like black distressed leather...at least the same shade of black distressed leather that I have seen before. Do you have pictures of yours?

UPDATE: I went to the place I hardly ever visit and saw several examples where the sheath with this 112 definitely looks greyish. Even though Buck's website states "Black leather sheath. Made in the USA.". I am just glad it is a USA made sheath paired with the 50th anniversary knife. Now if they would only stamp instead of etch the blades, this would be a perfect offering. ;)

22 left
Here is a comparison of my 110 and 112 distressed sheaths. The 112 definitely appears more grey, even though the description is "black".
20220426_111945-01.jpeg

Not sure if you have the July 2020 112 Take-apart, Jeff of the North Jeff of the North , but does the sheath look like that one at all? If my memory serves me, that one had a gray-ish distressed leather sheath.
Just pulled it out of storage. No sense uploading a pic because my camera can't pick up the slight difference. The July 2020 sheath is just a smidge darker than the pic I just posted but could easily be mistaken for grey.

Back