Are knife guys like gun guys?

Let me guess. You and your friend are 35 or less right? I only say that because the most intense Glock fans tend to be younger guys who have only ever fired one or two brands. I think that the older one gets the more they appreciate the variety of brands and types that their hobby offers.

Well, I just turned 71 and I own 7 Glocks (3 G17, 1 G26, 1 G34, 1 G20 & 1 G30). I even took the Glock Armorer's course. So, I guess you could call me a pretty "intense Glock fan."

However, I also own over a dozen other firearms of various types (handguns, rifles & shotguns) which were each produced by different companies, except for my S&W Mod 41 and S&W M&P15-22.

FWIW, I choose the type of weapon based on it's price and functionality and other factors; not just the brand.

I was issued a G17 Gen 2 as my duty weapon over 20 yrs ago and I still carry it (and/or the G26) concealed legally under the LEOSA .

I accumulated the other Glocks over time because IMO it is the best semi auto firearm currently made that ANYONE can service or modify w/o the need for a gunsmith. So, it has always been my go-to handgun brand.

However, in terms of handguns, I also own a vintage Colt 1911 custom modified for IPSC, a custom modified vintage S&W 745 IPSC, a combat HK USP45, a vintage S&W Mod 41 (with 5 barrels including other barrel accessories), a Hammerli 208S, a Bennelli MP90S and (the cheapest of the bunch) a GSG 1911-22.

Never had a problem w/any of these other handguns but, if I did, I'd ship/take them immediately to the mfg or a qualified gunsmith to repair. No need to do that w/any Glock because all I'd need to do is buy/replace the problem parts but, in my experience, OEM Glock parts NEVER fail.

Aftermarket parts are another matter. ;)

Last edited:
Interesting. Cold Steel might be like the Glock of the knife world? I mean the construction on the ones I have owned is not only robust and reliable, but super simple.

Interesting. Cold Steel might be like the Glock of the knife world? I mean the construction on the ones I have owned is not only robust and reliable, but super simple.

Well yes and no, Glock is so ubiquitous in that there are so many parts made for them both OEM and aftermarket that there isn't a real knife analogy IMO.

In other words, I don't think that one knife brand totally dominates a landscape like Glock (this being said by someone who owns MANY Glocks but carries a CZ P10c daily).

If the question was: Are knife guys usually into guns as well? From my experience, yes they usually are 9 times out of 10. The brands they like or the amount of money they spend on their gear is totally irrelevant. :oops:

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a "Glock" guy. He said most gun guys have a brand they carry and will denounce all other brands as inferior. Are knife guys the same? I'm a ZT guy with Kershaw a solid second.
Anybody have any thoughts?
Most gun guys and most knife guys appreciate quality, despite the brand. But yes, you will find people here that crap on particular brands.. sort of like reverse fanboy behavior. Brands like Emerson for their simplicity vs. cost, Benchmade for their omega springs, some people take issue with anything made in China, etc. It’s a mixed bag here.

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a "Glock" guy. He said most gun guys have a brand they carry and will denounce all other brands as inferior. Are knife guys the same? I'm a ZT guy with Kershaw a solid second.
Anybody have any thoughts?

I'm a Glock guy and I love all kinds of guns. Of knives I'm a Carothers Performance Knives guy, but I love other knives as well. Loving one brand of anything and hating everything else is ignorant IMHO.

Yup, pretty much. That's the reason why I'm a Ford guy. I HATE Chevy's, absolutely detest them. Don't ask me why, I have no logical explanation. Same reason why I HATE the Dallas Cowboys, Toronto Maple Leaf's, anything in California, Apple... I told you. no logical explanation.

However, I wouldn't turn down a free '69 396 Chevelle 🤑...

I love Ford and Chevy and Mopar. But why would a Canadian hate the Dallas Cowboys?

The one thing I notice more of in the knife world than the gun world is that people will look down upon a brand just because of something they've heard or read and will be absolutely adamant that their stance is the correct one. Most gun guys, in my experience, will have a specific valid reason why. For me, its all about how they fit my hand and accuracy in guns, and have to look relatively cool. Though I've never owned one, I've shot quite a few Glocks, and just never liked the way they fit my hand or shot. Yes they are ugly, but we are talking polymer striker fired pistols here, its more of which one is the least ugly.

Glocks were designed with reliability as the number one most important thing. I respect that. As far as parts, aftermarket, etc, not needing a gun smith, there are many guns out there that this can be done with. My Beretta PX4 for example, I did a trigger job, low profile decocker, competition cam block, metal guide rod. Only tools I needed were a hammer and punch. The decocker was tricky, but just required patience. Mags are easy to find.

I like to customize stuff--cars, guns, knives. If I can't do it myself, I've no problem paying for it to be done.

Speaking of customized:

IWI Tavor SAR with Geissele trigger pack, ambi safety, Manticore arms curved butt pad, hydrodip, and converted to left hand. However, I did buy it this way. I added the Sig Romeo 3 XDR Predator green dot and Sig Juliet 4 magnifier. Pictured with my Spyderco Southard w/ shredded carbon fiber scale, and the aformentioned customized PX4.

And because this thread needs pics

Sig Sauer P365 SAS with Lima green laser and ZT 0095 S90V BLK.

This gun is extremely accurate for how small it is. Most people say, meh after 30 feet a 3" barrel isn't accurate. Last time I was at the range I had no problem hitting inside the 9 ring on a silhoutte at 75 feet. I'd considered getting the upgraded barrel from ZEV, but decided with this accuracy what's the point in spending the money.

My customized Spyderco Manix 2, might be the pride of my collection. CTS-XHP sprint run.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever seen a case on BF where someone was criticized for their preferred knives or brands. If somebody doesn't like a knife here, the general attitude seems to be "not for me." I am sure there are exceptions but few and far between.

I don't think I've ever seen a case on BF where someone was criticized for their preferred knives or brands. If somebody doesn't like a knife here, the general attitude seems to be "not for me." I am sure there are exceptions but few and far between.
You haven’t been in any thread with “Emerson” in the title, have you? 😄

Count me in! Enjoy my older hunting type guns like the Remington 1100, 700, Model Four. Now to build my meager knife collection with some quality stuff. Always checkin out knives for EDC. Will be checking in for info from you pros here. Types of steels can be a mind blower.

Some people will be brand-specific or at least have a favorite brand in both hobbies. I'm not sure that it is true for the majority of either.

It might be more common for "gun guys" but this might have to do with economics. Guns tend to be both more expensive and more restricted in more areas. While exceptions certainly exist, most gun guys I know have smaller overall collection sizes and lesser traffic in and out of their collection versus knife guys. Being in both categories, that is certainly true for me.

While I'm not brand-specific, I actually have greater brand-favoritism with knives than I do guns. After trying, using, carrying, taking apart, and inspecting a huge amount of production knives; WE has become my favorite knife company. I follow them, get excited about new releases, etc. I don't feel that way about any specific gun company.

Back