Are knife guys like gun guys?

I do see a lot less "x...nuff said" posts here than on gun boards. My guess is that when some people buy something that generally has one function that they feel is the most important function and costs a sizeable amount of money, then they feel the need to have "chosen correctly". IMHO, it's a lot of e-chest thumping. I've never heard of a guy carrying an M&P getting killed by a criminal only to have the officer arrive on scene shaking his head, "If only this poor SOB had been carrying a Glock..."

But yes, there are a FEW brand loyalists in the knife community. I would say we have a bigger problem with steel snobbery which as I get older I find eye-rolling. Then again, I like to sharpen.

My guess is that it may be counterintuitive, but I think that sort of rah-rah tribalism is more common at the outer edges where someone who doesn't have the means to try a lot and get a broad picture of what is available feels the NEED to be right and have invested correctly.

I think guns are more susceptible to this line of thinking due to the fact that most purchased today are viewed as pretty much ONLY weapons and that the entry level in terms of dollars is so much higher than with knives.

To each their own, though :)

Yes, Steely_Gunz is talking about what psychologists call "cognitive dissonance." This is not a matter of guns and knives but of human nature. Guns tend to cost more than knives, and that probably leads to more vociferous brand loyalty among gun owners. You can see the same sort of behavior among people who buy expensive cars or expensive cameras. But bear in mind that people are not all the same, and they have various ways of dealing with cognitive dissonance.

I'm a gun guy, and I'm a knife guy. When it comes to guns, I have more Glocks than anything else and I will almost exclusively swear by them as defensive pistols. I like Glock pistols, and they have a place in my gun use. I am also bored by Glocks just as much as I am fascinated by them. One thing is for sure I just absolutely crave some range time with 1911's and AR-15's! Then, you know, I must have a big bore revolver for hunting, and a long range bolt action, you know, for some more giggles, and then, of course everyone needs some suppressed 22 action!
I imagine it goes about the same for knives, right? I focused more on guns for a long time, tried to get more into knives but it never worked out until recently. So far, l find myself looking at knives the same way as I did with guns, I want the right knife for the job and I want to experience something new when I find i have an "itch". I can favor a brand, but don't necessarily have to stick with it.

I've found this with AR15 guys. Some forums had a tier system. Most had colt at the top, even though their "fit and finish" was sub par (ive owned several). I find similarities with some people and their knife brands.

I appreciate how Glock shook things up; but they just don't fit my paw...
I never could shoot them accurately.
But I do have a Ruger P85 that almost gives me Bullseye Match accuracy. (1.5" groups at 50 yards...)
THAT'LL make you forgive a lot of sins...
Otherwise: it's "Ole Slabsides in a Galco S.O.B. holster.

I've somehow got more Pro-Tech's than any other brand. Although 2 are collabs, the Mordax and Slimfoot. Does that make me a Pro Tech guy? I still end up carrying a Civivi Brigand most of the time. Some of the y*otube knife reviewers HATE Civivi, some have no probs with them. So far they've been just fine for day to day.

Speaking of Glock, can anyone think of a brand of knives that basically all look alike and have like construction, with only differences in size and shape?

Speaking of Glock, can anyone think of a brand of knives that basically all look alike and have like construction, with only differences in size and shape?

Any number of Spyderco knife models, including but not limited to: the Military/Para Military 2/Para 3, the Native/Native Chief/Shaman, the Endura/Endela/Delica, the Mantra 1/2/3 and/or the Ambitious/Insistent/Persistence/Tenacious/Resilience lines.

Last edited:
Actually...
It can be said that almost ALL knives look alike: except for their sizes and shapes! 🤣🙃

Attachments

• IMG_27102021_124009.jpg
    IMG_27102021_124009.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_17102021_135505.jpg
    IMG_17102021_135505.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_11102021_144724.jpg
    IMG_11102021_144724.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_15102021_075804.jpg
    IMG_15102021_075804.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 1
Yeah, that's a good one, but I was thinking more about the entire lineup from one brand.
Glock does not deviate.

Interesting. Cold Steel might be like the Glock of the knife world? I mean the construction on the ones I have owned is not only robust and reliable, but super simple.
How about the Becker knives? They seem to stick with a common theme.

The only one that comes to mind is, CPK - Carothers Performance Knives.

I collet knifes and owned a bunch of guns, mostly because I love working/ customizing on these two items, and of corse using them, and feel they go hand and hand vary nicely, so I consider myself a knife/gun guy, as I really love both.

Heck even cowboys and cowboygirls carry Glocks:

92lmGhZ.jpg

lLdnZ9A.jpg

Js6wIa6.jpg

Well and others too. Colt and Kimber here:

geVUW7y.jpg

OjuEPDY.jpg

RJH66X3.jpg

z5G3uIT.jpg

Springfield and Smith:

EUJIG0C.jpg

pKEHpwE.jpg

kDaXtZl.jpg

An occasional Ruger:

rGRK20S.jpg

ugz41Hq.jpg

84LgNqu.jpg

Some Marlins now and then:

YwlrTRT.jpg

zrcF6hh.jpg

Maybe a Winchester:

ulpKGwS.jpg

Heck even a Tokarov:

Jdu4kjp.jpg

Course there's the uber cool like the Browning 1895 in 06:

4t7LeuG.jpg

Or the Ubertti 1873:

ruSfntV.jpg

As far as knives go, its gucci to go cowboyin' if I made it:

3tFel7r.jpg

Ain't proud, even got a black rifle somewheres!

Glock is throwing fashion and fanciness out the window, keeping just reliablity. So Cold Steel and Becker fits the bill well, maybe including Spyderco. Not so sure about CPK, they have better performance and better looks (depends on who you talk to) so they're more like H&K.

A lot of Medford knives share a similar look. But although they do make a few that look completely different, Medford definitely has a 'look'.

Hate the terms “gun guys” and “knife guys”! We are all individually products of our profession, geography, upbringing and belief system. No two people on this board are similar. Folks on the Mexican border (TX/AZ) are vastly different from the above categories than folks in Philadelphia, eastern Oregon and northern Mississippi. Everyone on this board has one thing in common, they are passionate about knives. Same thing with the good folks on snipershide, they are passionate about guns. I am not one or the other. My needs are my needs, I have over 100 knives, but I am not a knife guy. I have self defense firearms, a multitude of hunting rifles, ELR rifles, hunting shotguns, competition shotguns, etc…but I am not a gun guy.

Please cut this labeling laziness out! But if I must find a label to please the OP, I will be a Hinderer/Spyderco/CRK/Shirogorov/CPK/ESEE/Seekins/HK/Glock/AI/TacOps/Beretta/Sako/Tikka/Bartlein/ZCO/Nightforce/TBAC guy😁

God Bless

This used to be something that was even more prevalent in vehicle brands (particularly American ones), where entire families for generations would be Ford/GM/Dodge families.

When it comes to firearms and knives, I think alot of this stems from the how much some people have invested in purchases like these; time doing research to find what they feel is the "best", emotion, pride, and lets face it, money. Ego becomes involved. Therefore they feel the need to justify this investment by claiming there is only one true *insert item* while crapping on competing brands. I've never really understood it myself. Of course I have my favorites, but I dig variety I'm always open to new options. In the firearms enthusiast community it goes beyond just brand as well. Think of how many guys dogmatically think their method of carry is the end-all be-all and everybody who finds another method better for them personally is stupid (come to think of it, there is a correlation there too with the tip up vs. down argument, with tip down of course being stupid 🤣). OK, nevermind 🤪

Back