Are knife guys like gun guys?

Any knife can cut and stab, just like any brand gun can shoot and kill. That’s my philosophy.

It's probably just enthusiasts in general. When someone is willing to spend a lot of money on something they want to justify that it is the best and brand loyalty is just one of the many things that exhibits from this. Probably not all that different than what some "gun guys" say if they only carry one brand or truck guys with Ford vs Chevy or video gamers with the console wars or smart phones with Apple vs Android etc.

People will put their ego behind a product and the associated brand I dont think it is relegated to the gun or knife community anymore so than others.

Most guys I know with more than a couple firearms don't restrict themselves to a single brand.
Most..
That would be like dating only brunettes...
My wife is blond and wont let me date any more…
My Missus loved her 19
She shot it well enough; to keep me VERY nervous!
There are days my wife and daughter out shoot me with a G19
It's probably just enthusiasts in general. When someone is willing to spend a lot of money on something they want to justify that it is the best and brand loyalty is just one of the many things that exhibits from this. Probably not all that different than what some "gun guys" say if they only carry one brand or truck guys with Ford vs Chevy or video gamers with the console wars or smart phones with Apple vs Android etc.

People will put their ego behind a product and the associated brand I dont think it is relegated to the gun or knife community anymore so than others.
While you may in fact be correct for enthusiasts, I am a user of tools and demand that they work correctly every time. If they don’t they are replaced with one that does. This goes for Screwdrivers, hammers, flashlights, knives and sidearms. These items are tools and nothing more. I only own and carry Glocks for reliability and has nothing to do with ego. Ive carried for better then 20 years now and have carried every brand and type of current and realitive pistol available in that time. Glock has risen to the top based on that experience. The pictured pistols and others are charged with the safety and security of my family and myself. These is no place in that equation for ego, justification or cool factor.
The three vehicles in my drive are made by Ford, Jeep and Honda. Each chosen for different applications and attribute.

Most..

My wife is blond and wont let me date any more…

There are days my wife and daughter out shoot me with a G19

While you may in fact be correct for enthusiasts, I am a user of tools and demand that they work correctly every time. If they don’t they are replaced with one that does. This goes for Screwdrivers, hammers, flashlights, knives and sidearms. These items are tools and nothing more. I only own and carry Glocks for reliability and has nothing to do with ego. Ive carried for better then 20 years now and have carried every brand and type of current and realitive pistol available in that time. Glock has risen to the top based on that experience. The pictured pistols and others are charged with the safety and security of my family and myself. These is no place in that equation for ego, justification or cool factor.
The three vehicles in my drive are made by Ford, Jeep and Honda. Each chosen for different applications and attribute.
My statement is more meant for those that denigrate or drag other brands as the OP suggested. I carry a Glock 48. Great handgun and does all that I need a carry pistol to do. At the same time I am not going to pretend that a Sig P365XL is going to jam and fail on me. There are a lot of great options out there in the handgun market now and the M&P series is fantastic, reliable, and on par price wise with similar sized glocks. The same can be said for Sig P320 series.

Having brand preferences is one thing, making claims that only one brand is worth your time and money or anyone else's is another and I don't think that is you at all.

My statement is more meant for those that denigrate or drag other brands as the OP suggested. I carry a Glock 48. Great handgun and does all that I need a carry pistol to do. At the same time I am not going to pretend that a Sig P365XL is going to jam and fail on me. There are a lot of great options out there in the handgun market now and the M&P series is fantastic, reliable, and on par price wise with similar sized glocks. The same can be said for Sig P320 series.

Having brand preferences is one thing, making claims that only one brand is worth your time and money or anyone else's is another and I don't think that is you at all.
You make some fine points and I hope my post didn't come off as combative as I didn't mean it to.

As far as knives go I'm very simple. I buy KA-BAR, Buck, Cold Steel, Ontario, Victorinox, the occasional Spyderco, sometimes CRKT, a few Schrade, and I'm thinking about getting into Kershaw with at least a few of their models.

With guns, I just want something that's going to be reliable for me. Obviously I have a few Glocks even though I don't really like them, but for my next I'm trying to decide between a Smith & Wesson Shield, and a Kahr Arms CW9.

As far as knives go I'm very simple. I buy KA-BAR, Buck, Cold Steel, Ontario, Victorinox, the occasional Spyderco, sometimes CRKT, a few Schrade, and I'm thinking about getting into Kershaw with at least a few of their models.

With guns, I just want something that's going to be reliable for me. Obviously I have a few Glocks even though I don't really like them, but for my next I'm trying to decide between a Smith & Wesson Shield, and a Kahr Arms CW9.
Go with the shield 2.0. Not brand loyalty here lol but I’ve carried one for many years and have had zero issues. It’s my EDC. I upgraded the trigger to an apex full kit because I like that style trigger but that’s about all I’ve done. Came with tritium sights.
The cw9 has a longer trigger pull but if you like that, that’sa consideration. The shield is shorter pull short reset.

Go with the shield 2.0. Not brand loyalty here lol but I’ve carried one for many years and have had zero issues. It’s my EDC. I upgraded the trigger to an apex full kit because I like that style trigger but that’s about all I’ve done. Came with tritium sights.
The cw9 has a longer trigger pull but if you like that, that’sa consideration. The shield is shorter pull short reset.

The CW9 might work better for my sister then. She's more comfortable with the idea of a longer trigger pull because she's still learning.

Obviously there’s a spectrum, but I think certain “Glock guys” and certain “CRK guys” are on similar wavelengths… :)
I think Sig or HK guys are closer to the CRK guys. Glocks are sort of no-frills highly effective tools.

I think Sig or HK guys are closer to the CRK guys. Glocks are sort of no-frills highly effective tools.

The real question is whether those Sig and HK guys carry the branded knives made by Hogue.

Historically, there have been a lot of bad gun-brand knives on the market. Whether this fine tip-down-only knife in 7Cr17Mov from Smith and Wesson's website or the Winchester-branded slip-joint in like 3Cr13 that I once bought at Walmart, there is a lot of junk out there. I sometimes see people carrying these sorts of knives but most of the serious gun guys I know either carry a traditional, a higher-quality modern folder, or an auto.

SWA24S.jpg

The real question is whether those Sig and HK guys carry the branded knives made by Hogue.

Slightly off topic, but that's what actually got me into the hobby. Hk was a brand that I idolized as a teen in the 90's, so as soon as I had a taste of success as an adult I started collecting them. They still hold a special place for me, but I like other brands as well. Anyhow, my first nice modern knife was the Snody designed Benchmade. In fact, it was my only knife for some years. Luckily for me, this was before Benchmade made the Hk branded knives more of a budget line (a move that never made since to me given the placement of Hk in the firearms market). This knife is still my favorite Benchmade that I've owned; with a rock solid feel, good ergonomics, and still the smoothest opening and shutting AXIS lock I have experienced (the geometry is so well suited for the AXIS that you can hold the knife vertically horizontally and depress the lock with no wrist motion and the blade opens and shuts on its own). Nevertheless, a few years later this led to my obsession with AXIS lock Benchmades, then inevitably to Spyderco/Emerson/ZT/etc., then to, well, you know the rest.

I've had a few friends and family members who know I'm into knives show me those S&W knives. I obviously just bite my tongue an let them go on thinking that their cool knives. Honestly, I don't even know if any of them had any S&W firearms, but just bought the knives on the name anyway.

NRkXrEo.jpg

Last edited:
Soooooo like CRK's then?
Sort of. My inkosi is my most expensive knife but none of my glocks are my most expensive gun so I compare them to a more utilitarian knife. A Hogue Ritter or GB2 might be in my pocket when a G26 is IWB.

I might pair my 8 shot S&W revolver with the CRK.

Sort of. My inkosi is my most expensive knife but none of my glocks are my most expensive gun so I compare them to a more utilitarian knife. A Hogue Ritter or GB2 might be in my pocket when a G26 is IWB.

I might pair my 8 shot S&W revolver with the CRK.
As I said earlier I don't think that "gun guys" are any more susceptible to this line of thinking than watch guys, car guys, computer guys etc however... if I were to make a comparison Glock guys are more close to Spyderco guys.

Both brands rely on their performance rather than their looks. The utilitarian style of Glock pistols is far closer to the utilitarian design of spyderco knives and the performance you can get out of a basic old PM2 is very much the Glock 19 of the knife world. Everyone seems to have one, the aesthetics are polarizing, everyone and their mother seems to make aftermarket parts and accessories for one, and there are variations. Para 3 being the Glock 26, Military being the Glock 17. More beefy knives like the Manix 2 may be a caliber jump to a Glock 20 etc.

Your friend has never fired a course with a Heckler and Koch or Walther, haha.

I like most knife brands for different reasons.

I'd compare Glocks mostly to Cold Steel knives but generally I agree with your thoughts... Brand loyalty usually comes from experience with particular gun or knife company, that would be my spin on the subject.
There are plenty of underrated companies in the firearm site as well as in the knife industry. I found out that most people comment on some item not based on personal experience but relying on outside sources that are not really verified...
People watch 10 Tube reviews and are already experts on blade steel or design of particular knife without even touching it but they argue like they know it...
In the same time the mumbling reviewer on the Tube just repeating every 3 minutes: "...uh, well it is very nice knife..." without being able to say what exactly is the "nice" thing about it, besides the looks he like...
I have preferred brands that I have some experience with, firearms and knives, but generally to me it is a "toolbox" thing... I pick a knife to carry today, based on the tasks I'll do. I always carry 2 or 3 knives with me, one covers the "tool" profile,
another "weapon" profile, almost doubled with the stuff that rides with me in the truck. I try to carry the right tool for the right job, regardless knife or firearm.

There are so many good choices in the thread, great guns and knives combos, I really enjoy reading those opinions, I learn something new, or just ensure that I'm in the right track with my choice... :cool: :thumbsup:

Reactions: DMG
Back