At what point do you consider a knife "expensive"?

What does "expensive" mean to you?

• $50+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $100+

• $150+

• $200+

• $250+

• $300+

• $400+

• $500+

• $600+

• $700+

• Total voters
First of all, your definition will continue to grow and evolve as you climb the ladder.:)

I marked the 600+ range as expensive. I'm comfortable with a price under that, and that is for a 3-4 times a year that I would consider doing that. My average range is probably between $100 to $300 per knife, bust as I said above.......

Once in a while I am willing to save my monthly allotment up and go for something that will run me above the $600 limit. I would say 1 or 2 times a year at best. There is a knife I am buying that will be just south of $1200 and that will be at the end of this month.

Now, why in the world would a person pay that much for a knife and what will I do with it. Well there are some knives that simply speak to a person and if it is possible to purchase something of that ilk, AND it doesn't hurt your finances, then why not? I'm not rich, but I am lucky to be comfortable, plus I don't have a lot of expenses monthly, and I love my knives.

What will I do with it? Well, I will carry it and use it. I am not going to spend that amount of money for the knife to stay in hiding. I am also looking at this as a knife that I will eventually hand down to my son one of these day's. Now understand that my daily knife use is very, very little. Most day's I don't even need a knife! But that doesn't deter me from buying and carrying because I really, really love everything about knives, well, most knives.:D What I'm saying is that what little I will ever use the knife will not detract a lot from it's value, but since it is going to be a life-long friend, it really doesn't matter.

I like all my knives because I would not buy them if I didn't. But there are certain knives that simply turn me up a notch; JW Smith, and Bob Dozier are two of the maker's that I am ga-ga for. Bob's folders are available and for the most part you will pay a premium price, and they will usually hold or escalate in price. John W Smith is a folder maker extrordinare, and his working knives are finished just as nice as his art knives. What's more they are reasonably priced. For some reason they do not seem to hold that purchase price and can sometimes be found for $100 below what they originally sold for, still in mint condition, and I cannot understand this since they are so nicely made.

But anyway this is the knife that I am speaking of buying at month's end. It is a real beauty in my eye's and is a model I don't think Bob produces much of anymore. It is the XL Folding Hunter, a 5" handle with a 4" blade. The titanium liners are framelock thick, and the micarta is from a sheet that was made around 2005 to replicate the original Westinghouse gold micarta that many makers used. Comes with a very nice sheath that is also lined with calf leather on the inside so that it doesn't scratch up the knife when being carried. It will be going back to Bob's shop for a pocket clip though as sheath carry is not something I can easily do, though once I retire in 2 more years then I will probably not leave the house without a knife sheath on my belt.

So I guess I've really gone off on a tangent, but I want to justify a purchase like I am doing to the board, but maybe more to myself!!:eek::thumbup::)

0ca1e931.jpg

I simply love this knife!!

Those scales are awesome...my dozier folder is one of my favorites..

At any price, when a knife doesn't perform how it's supposed to or how you intended it to, it's expensive. Otherwise it was worth every penny.

There's another way to look at it. You can buy a Paramilitary 2 (Spyderco) for about $100 with S30V blade-steel. However, when the same knife is purchased as a more limited edition, by some knife-shops, with blades of certain super-steels, the "same" knife can cost up to $400. THEN, it's expensive.
Sonnydaze

I say 500 because any more than that and my wife says I have to discuss the purchase with her!

150+ is Expensive to me. I just bought a Benchmade 890 for $160, I love the thing, it was worth the money.

Probably somewhere around $180 for production. And $300 for custom (Since I am mainly a fixed blade person)

I voted $600+...but now that it has been mentioned...my friends have been ribbing me about my gun collection and how it could have grown exponentially if I didn't also collect knives.

Yeah, I'm actually getting to the $3,000+ for me since I have a handful now that I've paid over 2 grand for.

Yep. My breaking point is now around $2.5k. I can't imagine what knife would run $3k+, but I know they are out there!!

Are you guy's buying what some would consider "art knives"? There are art knives out there that look fantastic! I would love to see some pics of those knives.:thumbup::)

I could see myself going to $1500-$2000.

i consider above the $200 mark expensive... anything before that is just when youre getting into the good stuff :p

I don't have an amount that I draw a line at but it depends on the knife, it has to be "worth" it.

everyone is on a different rung of the knife ladder. There is no right or wrong number. It just depends on what your into right now...

Are you guy's buying what some would consider "art knives"? There are art knives out there that look fantastic! I would love to see some pics of those knives.:thumbup::)

This was an expensive, recent purchase. Worth every penny.

DaoFlipper.jpg

More tasty eye candy!

ManaroBullseye.jpg

Scott Namken photo with permission.

Last edited:
My threshold is currently $600 but it seems to continually rise :)

Back