At what point do you consider a knife "expensive"?

What does "expensive" mean to you?

• $50+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $100+

• $150+

• $200+

• $250+

• $300+

• $400+

• $500+

• $600+

• $700+

• Total voters
Knives are expensive when I have to sell a gun to finance my knife habit. I sold a Smith model 60 .357Mag today and I have another gun on the most popular gun-auction site. I must be doing something wrong.
Sonny

It's relative to what you get for the money. If I could buy a knife that would astonish me in every aspect I would fork out a lot for that.

I think half of depends on what kind of knife it is. I wouldn't balk at spending $125 on a folder if quality/materials justify the price, but I would balk at $100 for a slip joint knife.

I said $300+. That might be a bit high actually, but considering I bought a ZT 0561 without any hesitation, I guess $250+ doesn't qualify. Anything over $300+ that I've purchased, I've usually agonized over for a bit before jumping in. To me, I have to know I'm going to actually use the knife, otherwise, (to me) what's the point?

It doesn't matter about the price to me it matters what you're getting for the price. example; I find al mars expensive because they are $100+ for a thin piece of AUS8 and micarta. I don't find a $275 ZT 301 expensive because its an assisted opening slab of S30V with titanium linerlock, tungsten blade coating, and built like a brick poophouse.

Over $50. Well built and fully functional knives are in abundance below this level. Hand tools of all types sit at that level with excellent quality. Above that is expensive for a very simple tool.

Last knife I bought was a little north of $700. Also tracking my purchases with a spreadsheet, average price over the last year is currently $153. I buy expensive knives because I have a passion for them, not because I need to spend $150 to cut some rope or cardboard.

Me too, I have a hard time using a >50$ knife at work where I use a knife the most. Nice to have one as a Sunday go to meeting knife.

I'm a ham radio operator and 15-20 years ago I bought a $400 handheld (read belt pouch) radio, great radio. I sold it and bought a $60 radio 'cause I was afraid to lean against the expensive radio sitting down etc. My cell phone is an older, fairly durable model. Don't get me wrong I like nice stuff when I can afford it, but I guess personal carry stuff I want a bit more expendable.

"course Jerry Is Alive (I wish) has 3-4 knives around $100 or less. I've got 10-15 sub $50 knives. I'm an English major, you do the math.

I think at about $150, you start reaching a point of diminishing return, so beyond that is "expensive" to me, since you are paying more for name/brand/design than you are for materials.

At $150 range, you can buy a knife in almost any steel and handle material out there.

To me $250+ is expensive, but certainly not unreasonable, customs are complete works of art, and something like a Sebenza which is around $400 is a work of art too, they're functional works of art.

Anytime you can make a nice car payment or pay rent with that much money is a lot for a knife. Picked $400+. $100-$300 is normal for good quality knives. You enter a new realm at $400+

To me $250+ is expensive, but certainly not unreasonable, customs are complete works of art, and something like a Sebenza which is around $400 is a work of art too, they're functional works of art.

I disagree.

A Sebenza is a functional piece of precision manufacturing. It is not art. Thank you for letting me disagree with you.

To the thread,
I personally think regardless of hobby, skill, or what have you a $300 knife is about the level where a makers knife, a production piece, or a folder vs. a fixed blade all approximately intercept. A blade commonly accepted as being of high quality falls in there.

There are a ton of offshoots and exceptions to be had in 2000+ years. Foreign hand forged pieces that sell for a fraction of American products, and perform, and have warranties behind them. There are American makers that hand forge, profile, heat treat and sell beautiful pieces of steel, with custom leather, and amazing exotic woods and other natural adornments for handles for less than $2000. In several cases they could charge $5000 for the same work and sell knives.

I think everyone should caution themselves against adopting a dollar standard when looking at knives. I have scored a $13 knife that turned out to be worth around $150 or thereabouts. I have a BUSSE that cost me $600, and is probably worth that today. I have Randall knives and whatever they may be worth it won't be me that sells them. I am looking into Ruana knives right now, and will probably plan a purchase of one of those next. It isn't always about the cost, but do you get what you are buying?

For some folks it is the knife, and what they can do with it. For others it is the steel they will get, a different genre's "bigger engine" debate if you will. For some it is the name, or history behind the knife. I know for many who have family traditions of military service in your blood, there are names of tools and firearms permanently molded in your psyche. I tend to enjoy both the function and history, or tradition of the blades I am looking at now. The flair of the month in cutlery never stuck with me for long.

Knives are expensive when I have to sell a gun to finance my knife habit. I sold a Smith model 60 .357Mag today and I have another gun on the most popular gun-auction site. I must be doing something wrong.
Sonny

wow...you sold a 60? thats very cool revolver, i love mine. i hope youre getting one heck of a knife to justify giving up 2 firearms;)

Tough question to answer. I really think it depends on the knife and what your current financial situation is. I dropped $1,370.00 for a knife yesterday because it was a "bargain". But I won't pay $5.00 for a Starbucks coffee because it's "expensive".

Somehow it makes sense in my mind:D

Tough question to answer. I really think it depends on the knife and what your current financial situation is. I dropped $1,370.00 for a knife yesterday because it was a "bargain". But I won't pay $5.00 for a Starbucks coffee because it's "expensive".

Somehow it makes sense in my mind:D

makes complete sense in mine as well.

I marked $600. I have a few very expensive knives that were around that. I don't think I'd go North of $600. Has to be "worth" it. However, most of my knives are less than 150. I do get annoyed at secondary market Sypdie exclusives and sprints. If I can't get them at "retail," I won't touch them.

Equating the cost of a knife to a firearm is an interesting justification for spending $500+. If I can afford that Colt, I can afford that custom knife since both will just sit in the safe. :) Not really for me...

I consider anything above $50 expensive. I consider video games expensive. I consider my cable bill expensive. I consider my cell phone bill expensive. A carton of cigs costs $50 or more now even though I don't smoke cigs. But the cost does not stop me for acquring these things. I can justify up to about $500 on a knife. Above that it is pure emotion.

To give you an idea about money.... here it is July 2012 and I don't own a smartphone. Why? Cost pure and simple... But I have finally changed that (ordered) as I need quicker access to information when I am away from my office base. It took me years to get to this point! Now I believe it is almost a need.

Yes, Starbucks coffee is expensive to me too! I refuse to buy that stuff from them.

Last edited:
for me, a knife becomes expensive when I don't really have a need for it, and yet I WANT it badly. :D

I can't put a number on it, but it's the point at which I am scared to handle the knife or owning it would cause me agita. When it becomes a chore just to own it, I don't want it.

At this stage of life I am a low end knife guy. $50 would be more than enough to get a knife that meets my needs and wants but I won't say anything against those who buy what they like at whatever price range works for them. My needs are simple, a knife has to function for the many little everyday tasks I need it to do and fit my pocket without scratching up my leg. What's that song, "I'm just a common man, I drive a common van, my dog ain't got a pedigree....", yeah that is all me and proud of it.

Back