At what point do you consider a knife "expensive"?

What does "expensive" mean to you?

• $50+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $100+

• $150+

• $200+

• $250+

• $300+

• $400+

• $500+

• $600+

• $700+

• Total voters
I see a significant jump in performance past 100, 150 dollars, but after that, I'm not sure I'm really paying for any extra performance.

Over $50. Well built and fully functional knives are in abundance below this level. Hand tools of all types sit at that level with excellent quality. Above that is expensive for a very simple tool.

Last knife I bought was a little north of $700. Also tracking my purchases with a spreadsheet, average price over the last year is currently $153. I buy expensive knives because I have a passion for them, not because I need to spend $150 to cut some rope or cardboard.

It changes all the time. :D So far my taste has exceeded the high end of your poll.

I was eye balling $850 baseline a couple of days ago, and $1500 the later part of last year.

For me, $100 the tops I am comfortable at right now, so I marked $150+ as "expensive". To date, I own 3-4 knives, with the priciest a little over $100.

Yep. My breaking point is now around $2.5k. I can't imagine what knife would run $3k+, but I know they are out there!!

My buddy just picked up the Walter Brend that was on ACK that was $3500. I'll prob head over and check it out tomorrow. I can only think of two knives off the top of my head that i'd spend over 3 grand on.

I don't yet collect knives, so I tend to spend around $100 for my EDC knives.
My max was $275 on a Microtech LCC D/A, 10 years ago.

If it's an investment, I see no reason in putting a limit on it.
I don't see myself getting much utility out of a investment knife though.

when i can buy a nice firearm for the same price

I can't cut a sammich in half with a firearm.

Well you can, but not in a suburban neighborhood, and you're going to ruin a certain amount of aged white cheddar in the process. It's not worth it.

I bought the most expensive knife I have ever purchased very recently. It was about $190, and I agonized over the decision for months. The bottom line is that I can hardly justify spending that much money on a single knife when I already have a wide selection to choose from. I don't have anything like it and wanted one, so I bought it.

It wasn't necessary, but I don't care.

Last edited:
Less than $100 is a knife I can buy without hesitation (if there is a need). Above $100, and I have to think about it (very hard). I have yet to spend $300 on a knife, and I don't think I ever will. But time will tell.

I'm so old I divide the price by 10 to get the dollars it would've cost back in the day.

I think knives are a bargain these days.

The point I consider a knife to be 'expensive' is $150+. Does that stop me from buying Emersons? Not just 'No' but 'Hell No'! ;)

At the moment, it is around $500. But I have a Yuna coming the middle of next year priced at $600. So it changes as my tastes in knives evolves. But I don't buy that many a year anymore...maybe one or two. Aside from my two little big knives, Cricket and S.L.B., I have only one production folder left: BM 800 AFCK Shot Show Limited Edition (which is my wife's favorite - she doesn't care for my customs much). Not that I don't like production folders, I'm just into custom knives at the moment and can't afford both. So I sold all of them off to help fund them. I'm sure the limit will change again by the end of the year :D

I look at every knife and determine a value for that knife to *ME*, then I compare that value to the asking price. If the asking price is higher than my determined value, I consider it to be expensive.

This was an expensive, recent purchase. Worth every penny.

DaoFlipper.jpg

Now that's a knife I'd starve the kids to buy.

Honestly I think a lot of ~$100 knives are expensive, BUT to me a Sebenza is "worth it" because there really is nothing quite like it. The Strider Folders are "worth it," again, because there really is nothing made the same. I've had several Benchmades and Spydercos & a couple Kerskaws that just leave something to be desired. As long as mid tech companies like Chris Reeve Knives are around I'll have no problem paying 3x the cost for, IMO, 3x the quality/design.

I would love to try a Hinderer, but I DEFINITELY draw the line at a knife that costs 2x the price of a Sebenza/ SnG. I'm VERY happy with the latter two & it's just not possible that the Hinderer is actually 2x the knife.

Last edited:
For me it's $100. When I use a knife I don't want to worry about my truck payment. I always get a kick out of knife collectors that say they will spen $500 or more on an EDC but every picture they post is of a mint untouched knife. I don't think I've ever seen a Randall that has had the life worked out of it. I remember hunting with my boss's son. He had one of the best field knives I've ever seen but when he baged his deer he borrowed my Buck 110 & 119 to dress it up. Then he spent the rest of the week rubbing his knife with a clean rag. The exception are the knives used in the battlefield. Then you need to use what you have.
I should add that as far as my collection my high water mark as we speak is $700. I can't spend that every day but I have spent that much a couple of times on something that I felt was worth more.

Last edited:
When I first got into knives, anything over $100 was ridiculous. I learned about heat treating and different steels, fit and finish, warranty and how a knife is not just eye candy and now my edc is $300 (frag gripped Strider DB). $500 is my limit at this point. Not to say I don't own a knife or two that's that or more, but that's where I stop and think about it before making a purchase.

Mine was $600 until i recently spent $1500 on a blade...All damascus Rob Thomas Reptillian Damascus BaliSong. I still have no problem spending $600 on a knife once or twice a month but it was definately difficult to spend the $1500

Back