Atienza Kali Combat Archery

Very nice to see someone working one of the 12 areas which in this case is the Projectile Weapons.
It's a good skill to know even if it is more for 'art' purposes rather than practicality. I think it helps to make someone a more rounded individual.

(By the way, guns and such fall into this area as well.)

Very nice to see someone working one of the 12 areas which in this case is the Projectile Weapons.
It's a good skill to know even if it is more for 'art' purposes rather than practicality. I think it helps to make someone a more rounded individual.

(By the way, guns and such fall into this area as well.)

for others it's 12 areas and for some it's only 4 areas, others are 6...projectiles: so are surface to air missiles...:)

good to see people are still training some of this stuff...i know that in Luzon, and Mindanao these were heavily used back in the day (used projectiles).

Archery may not be practical, but it's part of the 'art' and should be passed along to the next generation.

Sorry Edge Fighter,but I'm going to have to disagree.Art or not, why pass on something that has no practicality in today's world of combat? Why not just focus on the areas of fighting that we can apply and why not evolve? The top was once used as a weapon in the Philippines and still may be today. It is also part of the art.Does that mean that someone should now start teaching their family system of combat top fighting? It's just something that I do not carry on me on a regular basis and neither do I go around having a bow and arrow slung over my shoulder.I say focus and improve on those areas and skills that we know we can use today.

FilAm you're focusing on the wrong thing. A family system be it a top, archery or using projectile chop sticks had to be of some value to the family it belongs to. Maybe it's lost it's practicality in today's world of M-16 assault rifles against AK-47, but it should still be remembered... and taught.

I agree with edge fighter.
One way of looking at it, is that even though it's not practical in the modern age, it's still a skill that has great traditional value. People do still go bow hunting even though there are far superior tools to do the job. In some aspects, it takes even more skill to hunt with the bow than to point and shoot a gun (overly simplified I know).
In the same aspect though. There's also a saying that you don't bring a knife to a gun fight. So in some ways, I knife is also impractical for the modern world. They are far more concealable (where allowed) and easy to get your hands on, but a gun is a superior weapon to it.
If you don't agree with the practicality of it, that's fine. No one is debating that. Just think of it as being more along the lines of a skill set for a job or even a hobby like playing the piano.

I agree with edge fighter.
One way of looking at it, is that even though it's not practical in the modern age, it's still a skill that has great traditional value. People do still go bow hunting even though there are far superior tools to do the job.

In line with what Norm just said I'd like to add that one reason to train with traditional, though impractical, weapons is that they help to build martial arts attributes. In San Miguel Eskrima, the FMA that I study, there are a number of weapons studied to that end. For example, the ananangkil is a heavy two-handed short staff designed to build courage and the ability to "stand in" against a heavy weapon; the bankaw (spear) helps show the student how to combine both shoulders on a long lever and generate power from the legs and waist; the latigo (bull whip) helps to build focus, concentrate energy towards one point, and build relaxed whole-body power; the throwing knife helps to build focus and concentration.

I suspect that archery can serve a similar purpose (as could rifle marksmanship, etc.). Besides, you might just have to defend yourself while out deer hunting one day.

Best,

Steve Lamade

Wrong again edge fighter.Once again you have missed the boat.It's that kind of narrow minded thinking that could get anyone of us seriously hurt or even killed.Obviously, you have no clue on what real fighting is all about.Just because something is passed on from generation to generation does not mean it has any true value when it comes to the real world of fighting. I mean, that's what it's really about is it not? I'm not taking up martial arts to learn how to hunt.I'm learning it to learn how to be a more effective fighter.Why waste my precious time and money on worthless practice? I think the reason why most people come up with stuff like comabt archery is just to make more money for themselves anyways.My art does not have a lot to offer, so let's come up with something or do something to bring in more money.I know, let's teach the lost art of pool cue fighting?

Sorry Norm's Training blades, but I would have to disagree with you and say that a knife is one of the most practical tools you would ever use. Very practical for the modern world.More practical than combat archery.again I'm not learning martial arts to make me a better hunter.You should stick with things that will.

FilAm2007 No need to say you're sorry on anything here really. We're all allowed to have a different opinion on things.

Now let me clarify just a bit. I knife is very practical in many different ways. I always carry one on me myself. I honestly and personally do not like guns. But I respect the he** out of them.
A knife is impractical in a gun fight. Especially when distance is involved. Sure there is the whole '21 feet' rule that the police officers have, but still. You try to come up on a gun with your knife, you're very likely to get shot before you close the distance. In that sense a knife is impractical.
A knife is still one heck of a tool and a great training tool. (I train with it constantly as well.)

Choosing to stay very grounded in combat reality is a great thing. But also so is learning other skills that aren't as applicable to modern day combat reality.
As long as a person knows to differentiate between learning a skill for combat compared to learning a skill for art/heritage/tradition, then that's what matters.
None of us train with knives thinking we can take out a small army by ourselves.

I think the reason why most people come up with stuff like comabt archery is just to make more money for themselves anyways.My art does not have a lot to offer, so let's come up with something or do something to bring in more money.I know, let's teach the lost art of pool cue fighting?

sadly, there's some truth to that...pool cue fighting, huh. i've seen that...:)

I think the reason why most people come up with stuff like comabt archery is just to make more money for themselves anyways. My art does not have a lot to offer, so let's come up with something or do something to bring in more money.

In the case of the Atienza's however that isn't so. Atienza Kali is well-regarded within the FMA community and has a lot to offer. Most of their practice is rooted in the kind of bladework that you appear to be advocating. They don't need combat archery to make more money for themselves - it just looks like something that they enjoy doing in addition to the rest of their extensive curriculum.

Best,

Steve Lamade

If the Atienza kali group wants to make more money selling out their family art, then that's their business. This is America, land of opportunity after all.

And FilAm, it sounds like you're a Filipino, why are you putting down part of your heritage like this? Have you no Pinoy pride? Do you think there are more superior fighting arts than FMA? I think not. When a combat system is passed down from generation to generation it has to be of value, otherwise it would've been discarded long ago, including archery.

I know how to fight and I'll take you on any time of day FilAm. I don't like your attitude towards Filipino fighting systems, I think you've disrespected the generations of Filipinos who've propogated our martial art. So, if you want to meet up and show me how to be an 'effective' fighter, I'll be glad to put you in your place. You @$$ hole.

I know how to fight and I'll take you on any time of day FilAm. I don't like your attitude towards Filipino fighting systems, I think you've disrespected the generations of Filipinos who've propogated our martial art. So, if you want to meet up and show me how to be an 'effective' fighter, I'll be glad to put you in your place. You @$$ hole.

now this sounds more like old school Filipino way...it doesn't have to be hateful, but we can set up a friendly match. this is the real Filipino gentlemen tradition. :)

we're all in the same location...if you need a safe environment for a sparring match, i can provide. :thumbup: ;)

safe to say that there will always be someone who will agree to disagree...and it's healthy. that's how we learn.

i bet after the bout you guys will become FMA friends...that's what's important.

Wow Edge Fighter! You are a real genius!!!!!!! Did you figure that one out all by yourself? Me Filipino? Using FilAm as my user name? DUHHHH! I have more Pinoy pride than you will ever know! I really think you should buy a clue.How many FMA groups today actually teach combat archery? Only one thus far? Why? Because it's an area of Filipino martial arts that has no practical value in today's world.How many people do you know actually carry a bow and arrow to work? If you say you, then you are one dumb moth*r F***ker!!!!!!!! I bet you wear a dress to work edge fighter! Now I know who wear's the pants in your family and it's definitely not you! Do you like it when your boyfriend is on top??? I would be happy to show how to be an effective fighter.But, I don't think you would be able to handle it you little bitch! I would be glad to bitch slap you around. Sounds like a great idea saint o'killer! As far as him and I being friends in the end? I don't think so. That loonganisa swollower is going down! Pool cue fighting.Yes, in "Out for Justice" my friend.
Steve, yes Atienza may have a lot too offer, but too me, they are just like the soyoc group.Soyoc was the first.So they needed to find something that would make them stand out and do something that no other Filipino group has done.Otheriwse they are just like any other FMA group claiming to be superb knife fighters.

WTF!!!!
Listen, bitch. FilAM you ain't nuthin. Calling yourself a fighter?:jerkit: :jerkit: :jerkit: I'll beat your @$$ down punk. And Saint don't tell me what's important... What's important is kicking ass and taking names.:D

Even though I don't have a funky video of me running around the woods with a bow and arrow, I can still buy one from k mart and stick it up your @$$. But I know you'd enjoy it.;) I just discovered those funky icons and wanted to spice up my comment. Hope it worked. If it didn't 'go f**k yourself.'

But, I digress. Archery isn't taught as commonly as stick fighting because for other FMA groups they have no way to exploit it like the Atienza guys. They're just trying to earn a buck like the rest of us.

Wow! Real mature edge fighter! Is that the best you can do? How do you expect anyone to take you seriously.Everything so far I have said, I meant.Obviously you are the one who has no respect for the FMA. But, hey..At at least I got you to agree with me about those guys out to make a buck.There's hope for you yet.Finally grew some balls.

I got balls the size of bowling balls and not the kiddie ones either. Just because I've said the obvious doesn't mean I'm still not itchin to kick your @$$ FilAM. No says I like men and gets away with it. I'll be plotting my vengence soon and beware. Maybe I'll go shopping in k mart tomorrow to prepare to meet up with you later.

As for my respect for the FMA, I told you in a previous post- It's the bomb. So shut the f**K up!

I think I went a little crazy with the icons. That won't be happening again people.

Back