Atienza Kali Combat Archery

Just my 2 cents worth - I have defended my home twice with a bow from dogs attacking our family pets.I was really worried that they might attack my then 2 year old son.Sure archery might be considered a nonstarter in our modern world - but - it did the job mighty well.
The dogs will never come back ....as they're dead.

Hello All,

Well at least we are getting back on track about the Archery thread! If you have the opportunity go and train with the AK Tuhon's or Instructors, they have a lot to offer in the FMA.

As for archery, I started when I was probably 7 as my father is an avid hunter and continues to love archery. He put the bug in me and since then I have shot and researched many different forms of archery, from Japanese kyujutsu to various eastern and traditional western versions as well. Lots of fun and good times to be had with the family and friends. As a side note my son (9 years old) started shooting when he was 7, now has a junior compound bow and dragged me out there to shoot with him the other day!!

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www. Bujinkandojo.net

Hello All,

Well at least we are getting back on track about the Archery thread! If you have the opportunity go and train with the AK Tuhon's or Instructors, they have a lot to offer in the FMA.

As for archery, I started when I was probably 7 as my father is an avid hunter and continues to love archery. He put the bug in me and since then I have shot and researched many different forms of archery, from Japanese kyujutsu to various eastern and traditional western versions as well. Lots of fun and good times to be had with the family and friends. As a side note my son (9 years old) started shooting when he was 7, now has a junior compound bow and dragged me out there to shoot with him the other day!!

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www. Bujinkandojo.net

Hey, sorry, i tried to PM ya but you had it turned off. I was wondering what your sources were for different styles of archery. Combat or otherwise.

Thanks.

Out of curosity, for those who dont believe that archery is at all practical in todays world, I would like to hear your opinions and reasoning why.

Thank You.

In line with what Norm just said I'd like to add that one reason to train with traditional, though impractical, weapons is that they help to build martial arts attributes. In San Miguel Eskrima, the FMA that I study, there are a number of weapons studied to that end. For example, the ananangkil is a heavy two-handed short staff designed to build courage and the ability to "stand in" against a heavy weapon; the bankaw (spear) helps show the student how to combine both shoulders on a long lever and generate power from the legs and waist; the latigo (bull whip) helps to build focus, concentrate energy towards one point, and build relaxed whole-body power; the throwing knife helps to build focus and concentration.

I suspect that archery can serve a similar purpose (as could rifle marksmanship, etc.). Besides, you might just have to defend yourself while out deer hunting one day.

Best,

Steve Lamade

I haven't read all of the posts, so I'm sorry if someone has said this already. At any rate, I think all of you may be missing the point-- training with a whip isn't a bad thing, or any other flexible weapon. Why? You're not going to be carrying a whip or a yo-yo with you. That's a no-brainer. But, you may pick up a length of chain, a mouse-- the peripheral, not the animal, or a length of rope.

I have heard of silt sarong techniques being transferred to fanny packs with bone-breaking results. Wow, that sounds like something I'd be interested in learning.

If you have the time, and inclination, why not learn archery. It's personally appealing to me. I sincerely believe there is some transferable application to improvised and designed thrown weapons and the firearms.

Wow. This is amazingly disappointing. I feel like I'm reading posts on youtubes. You all need to grow the fuck up.

Wow. This is amazingly disappointing. I feel like I'm reading posts on youtubes. You all need to grow the fuck up.

I too am disapointed with what i have seen here. I figured i would join this forum and learn a thing or two here, but from what i have seen, it is a bunch of students playing at being masters. I hope the rest of this site is not like this, i feel i wasted my time filling everything out to join this forum.

I too am disapointed with what i have seen here. I figured i would join this forum and learn a thing or two here, but from what i have seen, it is a bunch of students playing at being masters. I hope the rest of this site is not like this, i feel i wasted my time filling everything out to join this forum.

There's some good stuff here, man. Really. This thread is completely lame. Hang in there

Back