Attention: Buck has Drop Point S30V and 420HC NS bolster 110s and 112s on their site

I wonder if we'll see some clip point blades thrown in the mix
If they did it might be a duplicate. You can get those in the Custom Shop and an S30V variant was also the December 2018 BOTM.
IMG_4518.JPG

There might be minor differences. I'm not sure if the African Ebony used on the BOTM is the same as the Crelicam Ebony in the Custom Shop and the BOTM came with a black distressed leather sheath.
IMG_4516.JPG
IMG_4515.JPG

If they did it might be a duplicate. You can get those in the Custom Shop and an S30V variant was also the December 2018 BOTM.
View attachment 2205123

There might be minor differences. I'm not sure if the African Ebony used on the BOTM is the same as the Crelicam Ebony in the Custom Shop and the BOTM came with a black distressed leather sheath.
View attachment 2205125
View attachment 2205127
There have been 9 112s as BOTMs so far. I have them all except #1 - African Ebony and #3 - Cocobolo. I am wondering if the African ebony one is, in fact, duplicated in the Custom Shop by selecting Crelicam Ebony, S30V, nickel-silver bolsters, and rivets. In essence, is African Ebony the same as Crelicam Ebony? Which you are also asking.

There have been 9 112s as BOTMs so far. I have them all except #1 - African Ebony and #3 - Cocobolo. I am wondering if the African ebony one is, in fact, duplicated in the Custom Shop by selecting Crelicam Ebony, S30V, nickel-silver bolsters, and rivets. In essence, is African Ebony the same as Crelicam Ebony? Which you are also asking.
Crelicam is a company that mills and sells ebony, that is located in Yaoundé, Cameroon, Africa. Seems pretty sure that the ebony they sell is African.

They are also heavily invested in replanting and improving the quality of life for their workers. Look them up.

O.B.

I think Gabon(or Gaboon), African or West African Ebony are different names for the same species. African Blackwood sounds similar but is different and I don't think that was on this knife. It's all really nice wood though. We are lucky it's managed well now and available.

When the first BOTM 112 with African Ebony came out on the COA it said something special about it but I just can't remember exactly what. I don't think the Ebony in the Custom shop is the exact same thing. All I remember seeing at the time were extremely black and 'oily' looking. Some ebony is so dense it will barely float..

Crelicam is a company that mills and sells ebony, that is located in Yaoundé, Cameroon, Africa. Seems pretty sure that the ebony they sell is African.

They are also heavily invested in replanting and improving the quality of life for their workers. Look them up.

O.B.
I am aware of all of that. I feel though , since Buck went out of their way NOT to call it Crelicam Ebony, the African Ebony designation may mean something else.

I realize that we are getting a bit off topic here but it's an interesting discussion.

I took some comparison pics. Looks like my Drop Point got a little tarnished from my sweaty jeans at work. It's been in the low 90's here the last few days.

Recent Drop Point release on top. December 2018 BOTM on bottom. If there is any visual difference in the Ebony, my eyes aren't keen enough to detect it in the pictures or in person. It looks like the same stuff but anything is possible.
IMG_6644.JPGIMG_6645.JPGIMG_6646.JPGIMG_6647.JPG

Something just occurred to me. Buck’s use of Crelicam Ebony on standard models is relatively new.

Were they using it as a standard handle material in December 2018? I’m inclined to think that they weren’t.

Could the term “distinct” on the BOTM COA mean that it is in fact Crelicam but they considered it distinct African Ebony because it wasn’t standardized yet?

Something just occurred to me. Buck’s use of Crelicam Ebony on standard models is relatively new.

Were they using it as a standard handle material in December 2018? I’m inclined to think that they weren’t.

Could the term “distinct” on the BOTM COA mean that it is in fact Crelicam but they considered it distinct African Ebony because it wasn’t standardized yet?
That makes sense. So the 2018 BOTM was a sneak peak at the Crelicam Ebony, because the Macassar Dymondwood was used prior to that.

Edit: so in today's point of view, the 2018 BOTM is nothing special. (but I don't have that one)

That makes sense. So the 2018 BOTM was a sneak peak at the Crelicam Ebony, because the Macassar Dymondwood was used prior to that.

Edit: so in today's point of view, the 2018 BOTM is nothing special. (but I don't have that one)
I suppose it might be special depending on one's collecting parameters. I'm really reaching now but if we are correct in our assumptions, it would be the first 112 that Buck offered with Crelicam ebony and a black distressed leather sheath.

Macassar Ebony was the standard handle before 1994. I didn’t think the Dymondwood handles were Ebony at all, but now I’m not sure.

I thought they switched to the Dymondwood because they couldn’t get Macassar ebony anymore. But the top veneer layer does look like ebony.

I believe Crelicam was released in the beginning of 2019. The 2018 ebony knives are special.

Last edited:
After seeing the 112 in s30v I’m now tempted to get that as well to pair with the 110.

Must

Try

And

Resist…..

I think they're all very nice, but I would love to see a no nail nick option!

Edit: (or maybe a straight nail nick parallel with the spine)

Last edited:
Back